Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Admiral

Default Thursday Greetings

Morning Mates,
Would you believe it is ANOTHER nice weather day in Pictou County? Almost 2 straight weeks of beautiful summer weather, sunny and warm during the day and comfortably cool in the evenings.
However, they are predicting major rainfall and heavy winds by Sun. night, as we are in the path of Irene. I see Boston is to be hit as well, Trip, batten down the hatches!

I'm off early this morning for a shift at the ship. (say THAT 10 times fast!)
Then I'm free for the rest of the day, don't know what I'll do, but I do enjoy being free! Less than 2 weeks now, and it's back to the grind....

donna
Old August 25th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Admiral

Morning all. RD, I am so happy that you finally got your summer. I am glad you can enjoy your time off. I am enjoying my quiet time this morning. The teen is getting ready for school and dad is not up yet. It rained off and on yesterday. It started to rain yesterday afternoon and six month old half wolf pup Emmett wanted in with us. When that did not work he went and jumped on top of his doghouse and sat there instead of going inside. Goose. He is a sweet and gentle boy but he does not have a lot of sense...yet. I hope he gets some as he grows. Hope everyone has a wonderful day.
Old August 25th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Admiral

Good morning from sunny Palm Coast, Fl.

Irene will eventually bring in some rain, but it's all calm for now. I just hope that we don't get some damage in our home in Connecticut.

I am glad to be here at this time so I can get used to the hurricane season here because this will be our future home.

Have a nice day everyone.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Booked Celebrity Equinox ... 4///4///16
Old August 25th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Captain

Good Day! A beautiful morning in Southern Ontario. Despite lasts night forecast of doom and destruction (we were under a tornado watch) all we got was a little rain and a spectacular light show. RD-enjoy your summer-it took long enough to get there. Lets hope Irene changes track and misses you as well as all the CMs on the east coast-this looks like one nasty storm Have a good everybody!
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old August 25th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Admiral

Hola from Patzcuaro,

Another beautiful day here with the usual 72 degrees f. expected. It's a little bit cloudy but will burn off in a couple of hours I suspect.

Our house building is getting into high gear for the final 30 day push. Tiling in all three patios is almost finished. Floor tiles are finished inside the house. They have begun tiling both bath rooms and will probably start on the kitchen tiles next week or so. Final electrical and plumbing are also under way. It's a huge "busy as beavers and bees" crew with wires and saws everywhere.

David and I drove to the coast yesterday to get 22 large bags of grayish bluish river rocks (pebbles) that will be used as part of the surface framing multiple grids of four terra cotta buldoza tiles. The buldoza is already laid and is waiting for the pebbels. This will be a grid like pattern in the large central courtyard patio and the private patio off of the guest bedroom.

It is all coming along beautifully. We are sooooooo happy!
Old August 25th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Admiral

Good morning everyone.

ALLURE, 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Sweet Escape Charter 2015
Old August 25th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning everyone:

It's a beautiful day here in Minnesota. My darling wife could not sleep last night and decided to recover the six dinette chairs. She did it quite quietly because I never heard her and awoke to new looking chairs. Yesterday, we had schlepped through three fabric stores until we found a material we both agreed on. Actually, I was just worn out and would have probably agreed to blaze orange if she liked it.

The negative to "Sleeping Beauty" not sleeping is that I won't go to the State Fair today. She'll be sleeping all day and won't be able to drive me. Oh well, laundry needs to be done and I'm just the man to do it.

My son continues his work in the rehabilitation unit and will be there for a few more weeks. He has a long road ahead of him but, with a lot of work, there is hope of an almost full recovery.

I hope everyone has a great Thursday and an enjoyable weekend.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 25th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Admiral

good morning all, we are watching Irene here in massachusetts, the forecast for us is possible 3-6" of heavy rain and lots of wind, hoping she looses strength and makes a hard turn east out to sea. We got some amazing news last night, we are going to be first-time grandparents, YIPEE!!
Old August 25th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Good morning from Stormville,NY .Irene will be here Saturday but I hope she does not stay long.
Old August 25th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Admiral

Congratulations Lisa. I bet that will be one spoiled baby.
Old August 25th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Admiral

thank you, future cruiser!
Old August 25th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Admiral

Default Thursday Greetings

Good morning from triple digit land!

Looks to be a quiet day here in SoCal. I have a strong urge for P.F. Chang's fried rice and sweet and sour chicken, so maybe a trip to Pasadena. Although newport Beach is a lot cooler. Only 75 there today . . .

Judy
Old August 25th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
good morning all, we are watching Irene here in massachusetts, the forecast for us is possible 3-6" of heavy rain and lots of wind, hoping she looses strength and makes a hard turn east out to sea. We got some amazing news last night, we are going to be first-time grandparents, YIPEE!!
Congrats Lisa on the great news!

ALLURE, 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Sweet Escape Charter 2015
Old August 25th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Admiral

Good afternoon from another day in Virginia beach. After going to the gym, I headed straight to the supermarket to get supplies for hurricane Irene's apprearabce due around noon on Saturday. The house is well stocked with can goods, meat to cook on the grill, and water. The stores in the Tidewater area were well stocked for the approaching hurricane! Hope that nobody sustains damage! Have a great day.
Old August 25th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Admiral

We've been to 2 supermarkets thus far ."Man can live on icecream alone"
Old August 25th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Admiral

Henry,

I know of one edifice in Stormville that would be extremely safe during virtually any hurricane.

But then I don't think you want to take up even a temporary residence there. .

Balabusta, if you, or anyone else lives within a few miles of the coast, please, for heaven's sake, head inland!! To the best of my knowledge, it has been decades since Virginia Beach has even come close to experiencing what may well happen, especially if it's a Category 3 or even possibly a 4 upon arrival. When Norfolk sortied its ships is but one gauge. They last did that in '03 but it turned out this storm is going to compare something along the lines as a two year old is to a 30 year old with that one, at least as Virginia Beach is concerned. There are some experts who are saying that damage in your area could actually be catastrophic. I don't know if things will be actually that severe but please, believe me, you don't want to take the chance!

Trip, the same advice goes for you. Even if the storm weakens wind wise, you are still not really going to want to stay where you are if you have an alternative.

I'll be praying for all of you on or near the coast and that includes even you Rollerdonna even though the winds will have drastically reduced (hopefully as forecast) you'll still probably get something like at least ten inches of rain. Hopefully you're high enough to avoid serious flooding.

If any of you who are in the storm's track in NC, Virginia, the Del Marva, etc., live in mobile or manufactured homes, for Heaven's sake, LEAVE! It is not worth the risk!

Todd
Old August 25th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Admiral

To add more substance to my previous post, I just heard the flight director of NOAA (they direct flights into hurricanes) that in all of his years, he's never heard of anyone who was directly hit by a hurricane (as opposed by being on the periphery) say they were glad they didn't leave.

That about says it all.

Todd