CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Considering Cancelling cause of IRENE (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/384564-considering-cancelling-cause-irene.html)

hanez August 25th, 2011 10:41 AM

Considering Cancelling cause of IRENE

Hi,
My wife and I leave on Carnival Dream in two days. Thats just as/after Irene is leaving the area and sadly seems to be going to the Carolinas. I am not so concerned about safety so much as seasickness, weather and the quality of the trip. I am thinking about using our cancellation insurance and doin a last minute to vegas.

What do you think, can you still have fun on a cruise after a hurricane? Are the waters going to be really bad?

Gino

Paul Motter August 25th, 2011 11:34 AM

I live on the west coast and I am jyst startiung to read the news, so I have no opinion yet - sorry.

I htink you CAN have fun, and think the seas will calm down if the storm moves on. You will probably take some kind of loss (finacially) if you cancel even with insurance - but it is up to you.

I also don't know how susceptible to seasickness you are...

Lakers Fan August 25th, 2011 11:36 AM

I would call the cruiseline and get their opinion

fun2cruiz August 25th, 2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1389173)

Sure.... I'll betcha they are going to say "Oh no sir, you need to cancel" rofl

LisaK August 25th, 2011 11:40 AM

Irene will be out of the Caribbean and heading up the east coast by the time that you sail. There should be no residual effects from her at sea. If your ports of call were hit, depending upon the severity you could be diverted to another port or have an additional at sea day - either way not a bad thing

Trip August 25th, 2011 11:43 AM

Make the call to the carrier, of your insurance. Just beacuse you don't want to go, is probabaly not a reason you could cancel, unless you purchased it, with a cancellation for any reason clause. I hope you didn't purchase the insurance from the cruise line.

Kuki August 25th, 2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1389173)

As long as the port of embarkation and disembarkation are not expected to be directly affected with a hit from a hurricane, the cruise lines are going to tell you that the cruise is sailing and everything will be fine, and you're expected to be there according to your cruise contract.

They really aren't concerned about any one passenger's susceptibility to sea sickness.

Unless the ship has left early (as happened in San Juan) or the port of embarkation is going to be directly in the hurricane's path, no cruise line is going to tell a passenger not to come for their cruise.

Lakers Fan August 25th, 2011 11:52 AM

Kuki

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuki (Post 1389185)
As long as the port of embarkation and disembarkation are not expected to be directly affected with a hit from a hurricane, the cruise lines are going to tell you that the cruise is sailing and everything will be fine, and you're expected to be there according to your cruise contract.

They really aren't concerned about any one passenger's susceptibility to sea sickness.

Unless the ship has left early (as happened in San Juan) or the port of embarkation is going to be directly in the hurricane's path, no cruise line is going to tell a passenger not to come for their cruise.

I defer to your expertise

ruthlessboss August 25th, 2011 11:53 AM

Don't make a mountain over a molehill! They'll sail, sea should be calmer as you go south. Go.

nlb1050 August 25th, 2011 12:34 PM

You should be fine when you sail. Irene will be well north so there should not be much heavy seas, may be just when you leave port for a bit but that is all. Now the only thing would be will the ship be able to go to all ports, that is something that could change, depending on what damage may be after Irene leaves.

Go and have a great time.

ToddDH August 25th, 2011 04:24 PM

I've no idea of your point of initial departure so even getting there might be a problem, not the actual cruise itself. I hope you planned to arrive the day before your cruise and I so hope if you're flying, it's not from the Northeast.

If it is, I'd leave TODAY if at all possible and pay the extra hotel charges.

If you're flying and the flight originates from the midwest, or anywhere with the exception of the hurricane track you should be okay. The problem might arise with the unavailability of equipment (meaning aircraft). If you are flying from an area that is considered "safe" I'd nevertheless check with the airline immediately!

Todd

Donna August 25th, 2011 07:13 PM

Where exactly does your cruise depart from and where are you comming from?

Queen of Oakville August 26th, 2011 10:54 AM

If memory serves .... Dream sails from PC and into towards south america (belize, honduras etc.). Unless the itinerary has changed ... you are sailign into an area that is/was unaffected by Irene.

We're sailing Sunday .... and while I expect coco cay to still be closed and miss our first stop ... the rest of our itinerary should be good as I don't think the virgin islands were too affected by Irene.

Good luck whatever you decided.

Ron August 26th, 2011 11:30 AM

The Carnival Dream sails out of Port Canaveral, Fla. and sails on Saturdays, alternating routes between Eastern Carb. and Western.Carb. This particular Sat., the 27th, it was scheduled for the Eastern Route, with calls at Nassua, St. Thomas and St.Martin. It has to go south, irregardless of which route it sails and therefore will be sailing away for the storm--however, the storm has already passed Port Canaveral and as you won't sail until approx. 4 p.m tomorrow ( SAt. ) evening, I would think you will get little effects from the storm. The only thing is that it's possible that Nassau has been damaged so they may not be able to stop there but so far, there's been little in the way of reports of damages from the Bahamas.
Do as you feel like you must but were it me, I would lay the worry about Irene on the shelf and forget it. ;)

ruthlessboss August 26th, 2011 04:48 PM

I think OP posted just to post. Hasn't been on line since 11:14 yesterday, 29 minutes after posting. Why do people do this to us?