Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Admiral

Default Preparing for Irene

Pantry is stocked, have water, batteries, flashlights, candles, getting gas for the generator, heading up to our camper after work to secure that - roll up the awning, stow the lawn furniture, and hope for the best. Forecast for our area is 4-6" of rain with tropical force winds on sunday.
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Keep us posted the next few days, I just hope it isn't too bad and not as much rain as predicted....Stay safe!

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Admiral

thank you Donna, it seems that mother nature isn't going to give our area a break, it was the town next to where we live that was devasted by the tornado in June, just what they need a hurricane, its the folks in Monson and Brimfield that need our prayers for safety
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Admiral

I'll be thinking about you guys. Stay safe.
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Did I tell you how much I hate pine trees? NO? Ok, I hate em, especially in hurricanes.!! I am charging everything that can be charged...just went out to get gas,before there is none, as they say the suppliers will close. Candles, batteries, and kindles oh my!

I have a baby shower and a diaper cake for a baby showere on Sunday.....no one here is giving a time frame, so since this is a brunch, people may be able to get to the hotel for it..we'll see about that though

Bruce is going to put our garden in pots, under the deck....the town next door could get pummeled with all our tomatoes when we get pummeled with winds.

And snacks..cannot forget those! Tornadoes, earthquakes,and now a tornado....Is this Massachusetts?

All I can say is....................OY

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 26th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Admiral

Lisa............Trip........hang on & stay safe!!!!!!

Will be thinking of ya...........

Sharon
Old August 26th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Admiral

Trip & Lisa stay safe!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Hang in there Trip. The latest track is taking the storm due North well West of Boston, before it bears right. Hopefully you and Lisa will be spared any real winds. If your area expects 4-6" of rain, that you can get in a severe thunderstorm. Because the ground is so saturated, you might be relieved of some of those hated pine trees.....just as long as they don't come down on your house or car. Adelaide, in Staten Island, is facing a far more severe situation as she has massive oak trees around here and not only is the ground sopping wet, but as one meterologist pointed out, trees on the East Coast are used to weathering East Coast winds. Problem is the wind this time will be out of the Southwest. That ain't good, especially concerning the trees.

For those on the barrier islands off North Carolina's coast who elect to stay, one expert advised, "Write your name, social security number and address on an index card and put it in your shoe. This way it will be easier for us to identify you!"

At least it might not make it to a cat 3.

Good Luck To All!!!! You all are in my prayers!

Todd
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Admiral

We have my grand dog here and the 3 of us have decided not to leave .Well,actually it is 2 of us .

My daughter called from Fla this morning and asked what my plans are .I said I'm trying to get tickets for Sunday's Mets game .

I always try to think positive .
Old August 26th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I have a baby shower and a diaper cake for a baby showere on Sunday
A diaper cake? Did you say a diaper cake? With random smears of chocolate frosting?

Pine trees are bad. Shallow-rooted and dangerous. Until yesterday our neighbor had a 100 foot tall pine two feet from the property line that was slowly dying, dropping branches frequently. They said they couldn't afford to have it taken down. Several weeks ago I sent them a return receipt letter with a copy of the new Virginia law that says owners of trees are now responsible for the damage they cause, no matter where they fall. And if the tree is sick or dead and the owners have been put on notice, liability increases. Depending on which way this tree fell it could have taken out any of four houses, and on one trajectory it could have taken out two.

They took the tree down yesterday.

Our neighbor on the other side has an 80-foot completely dead oak on his lot, two feet from the property line. Being a relatively new owner, and a K-Street lobbyist to boot, naturally he knows everything, including that the tree is ours and not his. So three weeks ago I had a survey done and sent him a certified letter with the plat showing the location of the tree. Literally signed (by the surveyor), sealed (with his seal) and delivered (return receipt requested and received). If Irene knocks that one down it will either wipe out our newly-landscaped back yard or the home of the neighbor behind us. His liability under that new Virginia law will be massive.

If you have trees, you must take care of them. It's expensive, but suburban neighborhoods like ours are not the rural wide open spaces of the pioneers. Your neighbors count too.
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hey Trip& Lisa,
I hope you fare OK after this passes through....Please send updates when you can, hang in there and take care

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Familiar Face

Default just some advice

I see a lot of you have candles listed in your supplies. From experience, it is not a good idea to use candles while the storm is moving through , they could get knocked over and start a fire. And be aware of Natural gas after the storm before lighting up.

for those with pets, don't forget the dog food!

stay safe, take no chances, we'll look for you on the other side of the storm.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Admiral

We are now in a MANDATORY evacuation area .We have to be out of here by 5PM tomorrow .