Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Admiral

Default Freaky Friday!

Morning Mates,
It's Friday, with some freaky weather headed up the east coast. Last I saw, Boston was in trouble, then a direct hit on Montreal of all places! Then it veers inland away from Nova Scotia and hits more of New Brunswick, but we are still expecting heavy rainfall and high winds. Living in a mobile home, that's a bit scary! We'll be anchoring down the screen porch once again...

Today is already cloudy and cool, sign of things to come, but yesterday was brilliant! I spent the whole morning out on the Ship Hector talking to tourists, and it was a beautiful day, here's a photo:

I'll be back there agian this evening for the 5-8 shift, which is usually much quieter.
Have a good Friday all!

donna
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Morning all. I did not have a good night of sleep, so am grumpy this morning. I have things to do but will be cutting some stuff off of my to do list. I hope everyone will be safe from the storm. Take care peeps. Have a good one.
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Admiral

Morning from the Pacific Northwest.........thinking of y'all on the east coast.......stay safe........

Been hot here....80's.....yes....that's hot for us.......

Prayers & good thoughts to those in need.......

Y'all have as a good a day as ya can........

Sharon
Old August 26th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Admiral

R/D, If the current projected track holds, I don't think you'll have more of a problem other than maybe a very lot of rain. The wind may well be no worse than what you often experience in Nova Scotia as a routine event.

By the time it reaches Canada it will at worst be a tropical storm and possibly even be downgraded to a tropical depression. It's the US East coast up through maybe Boston and especially Martha's Vineyard that will get whacked. The further South you go, the more severe the effect.

Katrina was enormous and caused over 1,800 deaths but the one whose memory that along with Katrina that remains with me is Camille that struck Biloxi in mid-August of 1969. It was one of the three most powerful ever to hit the US with wind speeds upon striking the coast at between an unbelieveable 190-200 mph. It even brought down a hurricane hunter aircraft with the loss of all on board. The one thing that remains in my mind is of a two story house of young people who were having the omnipresent "Hurricane Party." They were begged to leave. They didn't. Following the storm there was absolutely nothing left except steps up to a concrete foundation. No trace of the revelers were, to the best of my knowledge ever found as well as no trace of even the house. The other two were also among the most powerful exceeded Katrina when it comes to damage cost *when measured in today's dollars and possibly, greater loss of life. One was the Miami Hurricane of 1926 and the Hurricane of 1938 that, like Irene, came up the coast and slammed into Long Island, Connecticut and Massachusetts. That one did 138 Billion in damage while Katrina did 88 billion.

The greatest reason for the death toll with Katrina was due mainly to the fact that the ground was actually below sea level. It wasn't the wind that killed (as is usually not the case) but the water. Also back in the 20's and 30's there was very little forecast ability (virtually non-existent when compared to today). Remember, especially today the greatest number of fatalities are of those who do not evacuate for whatever reason when told to do so.

Todd
Old August 26th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Good morning mates!
Keep safe all my east coast friends.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Default Freaky Friday

Good morning! Thge wildest weather we're getting is heaet and humidity with a little rain thrown in, up from Mexico.

Take good care, East Coasters!

Judy
Old August 26th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Good morning from NY .Its hot and sunny but we are 10 minutes north of the Atlantic Ocean ,2 minutes east of a channel,3 minutes west of a stream have a man made pond adjacent to our home.
Old August 26th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Good afternoon everyone:

Well: I did make it to the fair yesterday and had a very enjoyable day. I enjoyed seeing the livestock and talking to the kids who have raised these animals and won the awards in their county. Now they are competing at the State Fair for bragging rights. I did the same thing when I was a kid and it brought back memories.

I hope everyone battens down the hatches on the east coast and/or go somewhere else, especially if you are near the water. No matter what, stay safe.

Today is a house cleaning day. I was up until 2:30 a.m. doing laundry and some other things and was so worn out I slept until 11:15 a.m. It was nice to get a full night's sleep.

I hope eveyone has a fantastic Friday and wonderful weekend.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me