Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Admiral

Default Irene

Residents in my town are being told to evacuate .We are staying .If I do not post after saturday its either that I lost power and will return in a few days or that I lost something more than power and I will cease to be on CM .
Should the latter occur ,its been great here .
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Admiral

There’s a guy on TV saying many of the evacuation are uncalled for especially in VA. I guess it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Good luck Henry I'm sure all will be fine,stay safe.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Admiral

You well know my feelings about evacuation. Whatever your decision, God Bless!

Todd
Old August 26th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Admiral

I survived the blizzard of 1947 ,the 1965 and 1977 blackouts ,numerous snowstorms and rainstorms .I have to think positive ,everyone else in my family is freaking out.

Plus I need to continue posting on CM ,its become a passion .
Old August 26th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Good luck to you Henry....hope you made the correct decision to stay.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old August 26th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Admiral

I will find out on Monday
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Admiral

Henry, you do live quite close to the ocean, so you have to be very careful.
we need you here so you have to take care of yourself and your DW too.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:17 PM
First Mate

Good luck Henry. If cruisemates is such a passion I just wish that I could convince you to evacuate inland with a laptop and find a hotel with free wi-fi. Certainly hope to see you posting on Monday.
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Henry,

If the only reason you are staying is because you must post on CM I can easily do a three day ban and allow you to evacuate.

Seriously: Only you can make the decision but I would prefer to be safe than sorry. I'd batten down the house and then have a nice mini-vacation.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Admiral

Default Manuel,Mike ,etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Henry,

If the only reason you are staying is because you must post on CM I can easily do a three day ban and allow you to evacuate.

Seriously: Only you can make the decision but I would prefer to be safe than sorry. I'd batten down the house and then have a nice mini-vacation.

Take care,
Mike

Our area is now in the MANDATORY evacuation portion of LI .We will start calling friends and relatives early in the morning to find a place to go. We have our daughters dog with us because she has been vacationing in Fla and finding a place to go with him is going to be difficult but I am not going without him .
Old August 27th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Admiral

As of this afternoon, people that live in Sandbridge, in low lying areas of downtown Norfolk, and those near the boardwalk, have be requested to evacuate their homes. Our thoughts and prayers go to anybody in this situation. No one can truly predict the weather but let's hope that Irene does not do too much damage.
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Admiral

I hope that Henry found a safe place to stay.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old August 28th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Admiral

Sorry, but I am quietly freaking out this morning too. The lawn/grass around a huge maple in front of my picture window (which was trimmed by the electric company this summer) is soaked to the ground.. it is "just" raining... the winds aren't due here in MA until 6:30 p.m....Fortunately, have had other trees in our backyard trimmed a few weeks ago, but you just don't know. We are in mid-MA and they are talking about the possibility even here of the storm spawning little tornadoes. On the positive side I'm making a pot of soup and doing washes. Now Henry, where would I go with FOUR birds (one very noisy) and a dog...lol.
Old August 28th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Parrot Mom, I hope that you and Parrot Pop as well as your pets are safe.
I am in sunny Florida, but I am worried about my place in Ct.
We will be going back on tuesday, ( it there's a flight ) and we might be facing a flooded basement.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old August 28th, 2011, 05:05 PM
First Mate

..somewhere immediately West of Hartford, CT.....

Well, we here in the center of the state have faired better than those on the coast. We live around 14 miles west of Hartford, and while we did have a lot of rain, we only lost power for a few seconds early this morning. The folks on the coast had it much worse, with power outages and flooding.

Manuel, I truly hope that your house did all right...same with Henry, and the rest who were in Irene's path.

Tomorrow it's back to work and I am betting that I will have to take detours to get to Windsor where I work. Mostly because the Farmington River has flooded.

But we are safe, warm and dry, for which we give thanks.

Have a good week all.....

Read and post cruise reviews

Last edited by Sid1962; August 28th, 2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old August 28th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Admiral

Default "There is no place like home"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid1962 View Post
..somewhere immediately West of Hartford, CT.....

Well, we here in the center of the state have faired better than those on the coast. We live around 14 miles west of Hartford, and while we did have a lot of rain, we only lost power for a few seconds early this morning. The folks on the coast had it much worse, with power outages and flooding.

Manuel, I truly hope that your house did all right...same with Henry, and the rest who were in Irene's path.

Tomorrow it's back to work and I am betting that I will have to take detours to get to Windsor where I work. Mostly because the Farmington River has flooded.

But we are safe, warm and dry, for which we give thanks.

Have a good week all.....
My wife ,grand dog and I left our home yesterday afternoon . We went to stay with friends who live in the middle of the island .When we arrived there we found that there were a total of 8 people there and one more person arrived after us .All but 2 of the people decided to return home early this evening .One couple were without power ,another had minor flooding .We drove using streets instead of highways .There were a lot of fallen trees and nearly all traffic signals were not functioning but we arrived home safely .We have power ,no water inside the house .The only damage was some of the siding ripped off.Tomorrow we will check out our daughters house .The streets in her area were flooded today.
Thanks to everyone for your concern.
Old August 28th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Admiral

[QUOTE=Sid1962;1389702

.....[/QUOTE]

Thank you Sid.

We did lose power. We had a nieghbor check on our place and she did say that we had a bit of water in the basement.
We will be back home on tuesday evening and see what damage occured.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old August 29th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Admiral

I hope you have a safe trip home ,Manuel.
Old August 29th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Angry SAFE IN METRO WEST IN MASS./National Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
Parrot Mom, I hope that you and Parrot Pop as well as your pets are safe.
I am in sunny Florida, but I am worried about my place in Ct.
We will be going back on tuesday, ( it there's a flight ) and we might be facing a flooded basement.

TM
We lost our electricity at 11:00 a.m. Sunday it was just returned at approx 5:30 today, Monday...What angers me is that National Grid has their trucks and workers up the street at a local hotel and they were seen talking and gabbing t his a.m...less than a stones' throw or should I sat across Route 20 to our neighborhood. Opened a bill we received Saturday and I called the " emergency" number, not the one in the phone books and read the riot act (wonder if that did any good), Truthfully told them my husband is terminally ill (true)and just had an accident because of the lack of electricity. All around us restaurants are open, supermarkets and malls are opened but an area of 180 homes across from them is still dark. Many of the homes are still being resided by original residents who are in their late 70's and 80's.. Wonder what would happen if I didn;t pay them this month!!

Old August 29th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post
We lost our electricity at 11:00 a.m. Sunday it was just returned at approx 5:30 today, Monday...What angers me is that National Grid has their trucks and workers up the street at a local hotel and they were seen talking and gabbing t his a.m...less than a stones' throw or should I sat across Route 20 to our neighborhood. Opened a bill we received Saturday and I called the " emergency" number, not the one in the phone books and read the riot act (wonder if that did any good), Truthfully told them my husband is terminally ill (true)and just had an accident because of the lack of electricity. All around us restaurants are open, supermarkets and malls are opened but an area of 180 homes across from them is still dark. Many of the homes are still being resided by original residents who are in their late 70's and 80's.. Wonder what would happen if I didn;t pay them this month!!
Not trying to be spiteful or defending the power companies, but just because they were in your area "gabbing"..... does not mean 6that work was not being completed right where you are and that possibly they were waiting to do their part due to other issues. Sure I would be angry too, but sometimes what you "see" does not necessarily reflect what is "occuring". Glad you have your power back though !

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old August 30th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Admiral

Interesting in that when I finally called the phone # from my bill and told them the effect that being without electricity in a neighborhood across the road from them was having on the large percentage of elderly in this neighborhood, maybe somebody heard something. A young man in the neighborhood driving outside the area immediately saw the problem..it was minor...Imagine my surprise when less than 1 1/2 hours later electricity came back.. Schools in this city will not start until the 6th of September..many, many homes are still without electricity. The Comm. of Mass. still in many areas is without electricity, somewhere about 250,000...
Old August 30th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Admiral

Default Mass.

Quote:
Interesting in that when I finally called the phone # from my bill and told them the effect that being without electricity in a neighborhood across the road from them was having on the large percentage of elderly in this neighborhood, maybe somebody heard something. A young man in the neighborhood driving outside the area immediately saw the problem..it was minor...Imagine my surprise when less than 1 1/2 hours later electricity came back.. Schools in this city will not start until the 6th of September..many, many homes are still without electricity. The Comm. of Mass. still in many areas is without electricity, somewhere about 250,000...
My cousins in the Boston area are without power .They were told perhaps 8 days .
Old August 31st, 2011, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Quote:
this is so true, unless someone actually calls and tells them what is physically going on, who is effected they won't know, all they see is a power grid