Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 12th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Admiral

Default Attention to all Cruisemates

I urge you to take this to heart.

While we may not agree either philsophically or politically, we are indeed a family. No one, better than I and Luanne, know that better than probably most, but to be fair, I can only speak for me.

When I lost my beloved wife, Fran, all of you were there for me. I truly think many don't understand how much your support means to those of us who undergo trials and tribulations.

I don't consider Cruisemates just a forum and neither do most others. I personally rely on my beloved Cruisemates more than you could ever imagine. Yeah, I do have my own political views and opinions as do we all but I've alway believed in the saying, "One can disagree without being disagreeable." I admit, I have crossed that line more than a couple of times but I'm impulsive, unlike so many of you who aren't. That's my personality I guess but don't, forget for one second, that I love and appreciate virtually all of you. I truly learned that last December when I attended the annual Cruisemates dinner hosted by Ray and his late beloved wife Helen in December in Orlando.

If, for whatever reason, one wishes to drop out, please let us know. Several of you have done so over the past several years and it has been our loss as well as yours simply because you "disappeared." Some of us, "your's truly" for instance, were deeply hurt.

I personally look upon all of you as family, indeed probably closer in many instances than my own personal family. I obviously am not alone in that regard.

As I grow older, I become less judgemental (don't we all) and appreciate the love and support that I find on this site. If I, for instance, write something with which you don't agree, then for God's sake PM me and I'll provide you with my e-mail address. Though I don't "fold" easily, I'll at least reasonably and as gently as possible explain my position.

But let us set aside that "crap." We are indeed a family and as most families (unless you set a record), we have our "dysfunctional" members just as I am certainly one in the minds of more than a few of you. Nevertheless, that does not for one second mean that I don't love virtually all of you and I'm certainly not alone.

In today's world we need each other probably more than ever before. Think about it for a second. Who, besides us, worries more about each member than in many cases, their own personal families? We do!

Every morning post I make closes with a "prayer for those on the list" and Blessings upon all." I truly mean that and do it nightly and when also when I go to Church. Does that make me "better?" Of course not! Hopefully many of you do the same. I only state that to let those of you who are "down" to understand you are not forgotten.....not by a long shot.

So please, bear with us, share with us your trials and travail and allow us to help you through your difficult periods. Together we can do that. I know better than most because you definitely were instrumental in and remain my own personal recovery team!

With love to all,

Todd
Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2011, 04:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Todd and CruiseMates all, I have to agree with the feeing that all here are family. I have felt the "spirit" of CruiseMates many times. When I moved to Florida it was with the good wishes and much help from CruiseMates. They helped me through a life changing experience that I was doing alone. Without the encouragement of the people here I might still be in NH . Last year when my sister unexpectedly passed away the support was awesome. Every day I see the love and connection here. Prayers and support are given to those in need unconditionally. Meeting the CM's that I have met has been such an amazing experience. People do not believe me when I say I have met many great people online. Some people believe that everyone on the internet is a up to no good. They need only to stop here and read the posts and feel the "Spirit" in these pages. Where else would you find people who travel many miles and even fly across the US to have dinner with CM's in Florida? Only here in CruiseMates.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old September 12th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Admiral

Todd that was very beautifully written and I certainly concur.
I love the people here on Cruisemates and hope meet some of you in the future.
I really appreciate the support that I have gotten regarding my mom's dimentia.
And now that our lives are changing and we are moving to Florida, I have received wondeful encouregrment by some of you who are familiar with that region.
I could not leave Cruisemates you all have become part of my family.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011+4/4/2016
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015
Freedom OTS 3/6/16
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Admiral

Todd, truer words were never written.
I feel exactly the same way as you about my CruiseMates family. They have been there for me through trying times, the loss of my mom, and a major life-changing move. Being so far away from "real" family and friends, it's nice to know that I have the support of "cyber" family and friends right here, every day.
Thank you CruiseMates.

donna
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Admiral

Well....maybe I am just an old cynic but I reckon these sites are good but anything run by anyone that can just ban people is a strange family, I speak generally here, but things are deleted & people banned from these sites, you ain't family then.
As far as Todd's comments along the lines of sending a PM or Email to personally discuss problems go, I have suggested this on other sites many times & this has been absolutely rejected as being tantamount to the work of the devil....nope I have no idea either. I say that if any sort of disagreement occurs that is of no interest to, nor in the interests of, the site it is best conducted in private. I even got an official warning from one site for even saying this!
Old September 12th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Admiral

When I first came to CM almost three years ago I was strictly looking for some information on my upcoming cruise. Never in a million years did I expect to find such wonderful people or to become part of the CM family. Although I have never met any of you personally it’s funny how I developed feelings for all of you. I look forward to coming here each day and seeing what everyone’s up to. I hope sometime in the very near future I have the pleasure of meeting all of you in person. I'm pround to be part of this family!
Old September 12th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Admiral

Todd, very well said. I do not post a lot ( I have a very boring life at home, I read and house/yard work only) so I mainly just read. But I do post when I feel it is needed. This site definitely is a family.

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014, MSC Divina Oct 2014, Carnival Liberty Jan 2015, MSC Divina Apr 2015, Carnival Ecstasy Oct 2015, NCL Star Jan 2016
Old September 12th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Admiral

Todd........you are sooooooooo right.....I'm guilty of that.......but it seems like life has gotten in the way.....I just don't get on CM much any more.......when I do it's afternoon & too late for the morning post......I try & drop in when I can......I do miss y'all...........LOTS!!!

Laura........who would fly all the way to FL just for dinner??????

Can't find a better family then Cruisemates people!!!!

Sharon
Old September 12th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS80 View Post
Todd........you are sooooooooo right.....I'm guilty of that.......but it seems like life has gotten in the way.....I just don't get on CM much any more.......when I do it's afternoon & too late for the morning post......I try & drop in when I can......I do miss y'all...........LOTS!!!

Quote:
Laura........who would fly all the way to FL just for dinner??????

Can't find a better family then Cruisemates people!!!!

Sharon

Your guess is a good as mine!!

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old September 12th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Admiral

Question Who are my friends?

Wow.

Maybe I am a terrible cynic here.

But honestly, CruiseMates is a cyber community and a very nice one. I like almost everybody here and enjoy all of your comments. As Bilbo said, "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

BUT -- who are my friends? Well, honestly, not people in cyberspace. Many of you sent best wishes while I was in the hospital for my bypass. That was much appreciated. BUT my FRIENDS are the ones who came and visited me, who called my wife and supported her, who came to the house and sat with me while my wife ran errands or took a much needed break, who helped me with my duties and jobs that needed doing, and who were constantly offering more. The people I see frequently, that I have lunch with, that I go to meetings with, that I work on projects with, and who really share in the important moments of my life are my FRIENDS.

I enjoy this forum and I like chatting with all of you. You are truly my cyber friends and I value you. But my FRIENDS are a different thing.

I hope you understand what I am saying.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old September 12th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Admiral

Todd,

Still around, though don't post much these days. When a topic interests me, you can expect a reply, though!

Old September 12th, 2011, 03:19 PM
First Mate

Just curious, Mike --- have you always lived in the same place? Don't you have anyone you would consider a friend, who does not live close enough to you to be available to come to your house, etc?

Does a friend who moves to the other side of the country drop from "friend" to mere "acquaintance"?
Old September 12th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Mike,

I fully understand what you are saying but we all are different.

I spent a career in law enforcement, part of that career in one of the absolute most violent surroundings you could ever imagine, yet, Thank God, I never became cynical.

I am surrounded by wonderful friends both locally and those who live afar whom, in some cases I am closer to than those who live locally. Yet my fellow Cruisemates I don't consider as "friends" but rather extended family. How better a "family" member can one have than someone whom I never had physically met yet who drove over five hundred miles to spend two hours with me at my wife's wake, just to turn around and drive another over five hundred miles directly back home?

How many "family members", again whom are not just from this country but from the far reaches of Australia all the way to Holland whom you've never met, does one have who give you an ovation when you walk into a restaurant, who keep in daily contact with you, who are always there when you need a shoulder on which to lean as well as one of support when the situation is reversed

Yes, I have wonderful friends locally but I value just as highly my Cruisemate "family" whom I consider such simply because truth be told, they are actually often more thoughtful and caring than at least one close family member who lives locally.

For the above reasons, I honestly and sincerely count myself among one of the most Blessed people on Earth because IMHO, I have the finest family on Earth!

Todd
Old September 12th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Admiral

Todd, I consider everyone here a friend, because I have much more in common with the people on this site than I do with the people next door!
I have been fortunate to meet and cruise with several Cruisemates and have had a wonderful experience. I only hope that I have an opportunity to meet and cruise with more of you.

I had a career with the USAF many years ago and was stationed at several different locations throughout the world. Peggy and I had many friends, but as assignments changed and we drifted apart, it became almost impossible to keep up with each other. There was no internet and no Facebook. These are wonderful tools for remaining friends and making new friends.
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
I have been fortunate to meet and cruise with several Cruisemates and have had a wonderful experience. I only hope that I have an opportunity to meet and cruise with more of you.

Those are my exact sentiments.

Since we are moving to Florida in november, I hope to meet more Cruisemates, since a some of them live there.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015
Freedom OTS 3/6/16
Old September 13th, 2011, 03:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
Wow.

Maybe I am a terrible cynic here.

But honestly, CruiseMates is a cyber community and a very nice one. I like almost everybody here and enjoy all of your comments. As Bilbo said, "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

BUT -- who are my friends? Well, honestly, not people in cyberspace. Many of you sent best wishes while I was in the hospital for my bypass. That was much appreciated. BUT my FRIENDS are the ones who came and visited me, who called my wife and supported her, who came to the house and sat with me while my wife ran errands or took a much needed break, who helped me with my duties and jobs that needed doing, and who were constantly offering more. The people I see frequently, that I have lunch with, that I go to meetings with, that I work on projects with, and who really share in the important moments of my life are my FRIENDS.

I enjoy this forum and I like chatting with all of you. You are truly my cyber friends and I value you. But my FRIENDS are a different thing.

I hope you understand what I am saying.
Mike

I hear you and agree with you.

Annie
Old September 13th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

I too agree with Mikes sentiments....... "cyber"friends are not the same as "realfriends" that I personally interact with.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2cruiz View Post
I too agree with Mikes sentiments....... "cyber"friends are not the same as "realfriends" that I personally interact with.
I tend to go along this line myself, speaking generally & not specifically referring to this site, but there are places that the people actually believe that everyone is real on the site, they guard the site ferociously from anyone they think is a threat or may be more popular than they are, their lives revolve around their "cyber friends", sometimes arranging to meet people they don't know a thing about. Any suggestion that this may be unwise is treated with ridicule, I was warned by P&O for saying that their site is an internet public site that anyone can join & not to necessarily trust anyone online nor to reveal personal information.
Old September 13th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2cruiz View Post
The difference is that some of these (cyber) friends have become personal friends in my case.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015
Freedom OTS 3/6/16
Old September 13th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
The difference is that some of these (cyber) friends have become personal friends in my case.

TM
This of course can & does happen. I think as we all have a common interest in cruising it is less risky...I mean meeting someone in a mall is one thing but on a ship is another.