Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Admiral

Default 2 dead in Cruise Ship fire in Norway

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Admiral

Wow - my heart goes out to all effected.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old September 15th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Admiral

Annie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
The vessel appears to be one of the so-called 'cruise ferries" that ply that region. At the very least, lit does not belong to one of the major cruise lines marketed in North America.

The "Safety of Life at Sea" (SOLAS) treaty, ratified a couple decades ago, gave every nation the right to inspect all vessels calling at its ports for compliance with its safety requirements. The United States Coast Guard conducts rigorous and very thorough safety inspections of every cruise ship that calls in any U. S. port at least annually, and these inspections even including casualty drills chosen by the inspectors, and I believe the United Kingdom to be similarly thorough. Unfortunately, the enforcement agencies of many other foreign countries are more lax if they bother to inspect at all. As a result, violations of SOLAS may persist for years on vessels that do not call in the United States or the United Kingdom -- and many of the European ferries do not.

Norm.
Old September 15th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Admiral

Fires on ships are very bad news indeed, a LOT of training goes on.
Old September 15th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17 View Post
Annie,

The vessel appears to be one of the so-called 'cruise ferries" that ply that region. At the very least, lit does not belong to one of the major cruise lines marketed in North America.

The "Safety of Life at Sea" (SOLAS) treaty, ratified a couple decades ago, gave every nation the right to inspect all vessels calling at its ports for compliance with its safety requirements. The United States Coast Guard conducts rigorous and very thorough safety inspections of every cruise ship that calls in any U. S. port at least annually, and these inspections even including casualty drills chosen by the inspectors, and I believe the United Kingdom to be similarly thorough. Unfortunately, the enforcement agencies of many other foreign countries are more lax if they bother to inspect at all. As a result, violations of SOLAS may persist for years on vessels that do not call in the United States or the United Kingdom -- and many of the European ferries do not.

Norm.
Norm

I have a fair bit of knowledge on Norwegian Safety Regulations - they if anything are stricter than the UK's.

There are 2 heartbroken families tonight.

Annie
Old September 16th, 2011, 03:04 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
Norm

I have a fair bit of knowledge on Norwegian Safety Regulations - they if anything are stricter than the UK's.

There are 2 heartbroken families tonight.

Annie

Being in full agreement with Annie, I have to add that these boats are mainly used for the Norwegian mail service, carrying passengers as a by-line.

Our thoughts also go out to those near & dear to the crew.

Alan & Katrina

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old September 16th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I just saw the news,and they are trying to save this ship from sinking. So sad about those 2 deaths, there could have been many more.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 16th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Admiral

I agree with Linda.