CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Tell Me What You think (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/385102-tell-me-what-you-think.html)

Cruznut2 September 22nd, 2011 03:29 AM

Tell Me What You think

Yesterday a woman I know handed me the following letter and asked what I thought. She said it just turned up in her email and she is not looking for a job so it was unsolicited. It was very professional and had pages of descriptions of what the job entailed. Also a page explaining how to handle the foreign funds. Of course there was an application for the job. My first thought is RUN!! as fast and as far as you can from this. Red flags for this were as follows.
Unsolicited e-mail
Handling funds from foreign countries
Application seems like a way to get her info.
sounds way too good to be true.
So I decided to put it to the experts for an answer.....CruiseMates
Tell me what you think.
Following is the letter.

Good day,

My name is Dolores Busto and I am working as personnel manager in
All Travel Spain Company.
I have offered you a vacancy in our company, and now I will explain how to proceed to the next step. Hope you will find it interesting and accept our offer.

My principal task is to lead you through the whole process of work as
a Travel Coordinator and explain what you are supposed to do.
You will find in this letter all your future duties.

They are simple enough, so I think you understand everything quite easy.
Well, I want to tell you some words about our Company- All Travel Spain.

We are engaged in providing touristic services to any places in the world. Our Company is the leading travel agency in the Europe, and
now we start providing our services in the North America, including
the United States of America too.

Our main office is located in Spain. We also have offices in France, Greece,Italy,Ukraine and Russia and provide our services on the territory of the Europe Union and
started working in the USA and for this purpose we finished the registration here. So now we need the Travel Coordinators.

We offer such services as the best selection of flights, hotels and vacation packages using innovative search, packaging and
booking engines, from econom to lux-level packages. But our main direction is providing individual
tours, including extreme travels and luxury tours.

Our traditional device is to give the client everything he wants,
because we depend from clients. We do everything for enjoy of our customers. Actually we have all types of the travel services.
That's why we do our best in order to provide customers with the best flights and carefully customized tours.

I am honored to inform you that we want you to apply our team. And now we would like to suggest you to become our Travel Coordinator.
This position is limited to a certain number of person, so please make
your decision ASAP.

The application process consist only from 3 steps.

-Application process:

I have attached 4 files to this letter: Job Description, FAQ file,
Application and Agreement in the MS Word format(if you couldn't open
MS Word files, please let me know and I will forward you the PDF files)

1.Please read DESCRIPTION carefully and respond me back with you questions and/or confirmation to work with us.

2.If You agree you need to fill out the Employment Agreement and Application and send back filled out by e-mail
or fax: +1-888.473.3077

IMPORTANT: If you want to send the documents via email, you should
print them and send me back the scanned copies of it with physical
signatures. It will give you more chances to pass the procedure.
Anyway, the electronically filled documents are acceptable too.

3.When you send the documents back to me, I will forward your
application documents to our HR department immediately.

And the last thing. You should pay anything for working with us, it's free and real job for you. We will pay you salary, and you will just need to complete the duties described in the job description and our tasks.
That's all. We don't ask the money from your side.

From my side I will do my best in order to provide you with all necessary instructions and answers to your questions.
You can ask me for any information you will be interested in.
Please inform me as soon as possible about your decision,
whether it is positive or not, because we have another candidates and
we need to activate our human resource challenge.
Please give your answer within two working days.

With respect,
Dolores Busto
All Travel Spain
Fax: +1-888.473.3077
Tel: +1-888.472.9062
alltravelspain.com

Laura

Donna September 22nd, 2011 03:56 AM

I know it looks legit, but I bet it isn't....I would trash it myself...

anniegb September 22nd, 2011 04:17 AM

I do occasionally receive similar ' job offers' - I report them as Phishing Scam then trash.

Annie

ruthlessboss September 22nd, 2011 07:08 AM

Someone spent a while putting it together, but trash it! Why would someone offer a job anonymously to someone "off the street" ?

RTALLEN September 22nd, 2011 07:50 AM

To paraphrase a familiar saying, if it looks like a scam and smells like a scam, then it's probably a scam. To be 100% sure, your friend could talk to an agent at your local FBI office. They keep track of all e-mail scams. If this was a legitimate job opening, it would be posted in the classifieds section of the newspaper and/or on an online job posting web site.

Jacqueline September 22nd, 2011 07:57 AM

Trash it, put that adress in the spam filter/unwanted emails and forget about it.

nlb1050 September 22nd, 2011 09:00 AM

Definitely spam. I get these a lot. I just automaticly delete usually they come in my spam/junk folder so the empty is great, If they arrive in regular I will report like Annie as a phishing so this will permenantly delete.

johnthed0g September 22nd, 2011 09:02 AM

I got as far as the first line....can we say load of crap on here???

Cruznut2 September 22nd, 2011 09:22 AM

I told my friend exactly the same thing you all are saying. I also sent the letter to Snopes and got back a similar letter with much the same content. They also say it is a scam. I sent the reply from Snopes on to her.

Another friend of mine contacted me quite some time ago about one of those "free cruise" deals they got in the mail. Sadly they had already started correspondence with the company offering this deal. By the time they contacted me they were out around $600.00. She was so excited about this "free cruise they were going on!! Really? A "free" cruise in which they already invested all that money? I set her straight on that and asked why she had not called me sooner. I would have found them a cruise for considerably lesss than $600 and booked it for her. Sadly her husband passed away since then and they never got the cruise they so badly wanted. Later she called and asked if I would go on a cruise with her. We and another friend are going on Inspiration in November. It is too bad that learning there is no such thing as a free cruise was so expensive.

There is something else that is bothering me too. I go to an internet cafe sometimes. They are offering a free cruise to be given away at the end of this month. I looked at the brochure that was there and I am alarmed at what I saw. No place on this rather elaborate brochure was there a ship name. Nor was the name of the cruise line there. In talking to the clerk I learned that the cruise is paid for. There was a photo of a ship but the stack was not visible. I was unable to determine the cruise line. This seems shady to me. The drawing is Saturday for the winner of the cruise. I plan to be there. On the back of the brochure the company name was listed but it was not a travel agency. It had something to do with incentives. I should have written down the name.I will this weekend when I go for the drawing.

Laura

DougR. September 22nd, 2011 09:27 AM

I received the same email offer, however I was already busy saving the fortune of a Nigerian Prince. :mrgreen:

Kuki September 22nd, 2011 09:55 AM

What is worrisome to me is that anyone would ever even consider that such an emaill might be legitimate.

That's precisely why they still exist. People are still responding to these "offers" and they are getting scammed.

Lakers Fan September 22nd, 2011 10:39 AM

Why add "fuel to fire" by printing this on CM ?

Cruznut2 September 22nd, 2011 10:52 AM

Henry,
Why not? Too many people would fall for things like this. If just one person reads this and learns something then it good that I posted.

Laura

Queen of Oakville September 22nd, 2011 11:20 AM

My first guess would have been a virus or malware from openning up the attachments.

I know DH had one in his company ... it was an email about an error with a wire transfer from nacha.org. Now, nacha is a legitimate wire transfer company but they work between banks, they do not deal with the public. Anyhow, someone had just returned from the bank having sent a wire transfer, and they clicked on the attachment, releasing malware onto their system.

Now chances are the email would look fishy to most (Especially if you don't send bank wires) but to someone who fits the target mold, there is a reasonable chance that the email looks legit, and they will execute the attachment or get duped in a scam.

If enought emails are sent out ....someone gets hooked. I got one this morning from HP Scan Center, sayign there was an error with a scanned document and the instructions for resetting the copier are in the attachment. Now, we don't have an HP (we have a Toshiba) but if we did and I was the office administrator, the email might have looked legit to me.

fun2cruiz September 22nd, 2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1393665)

Ummmmm perhaps to advise others that may get this type of email ???:oops:
I appreciate that the member took the time to share this with us and put us on alert ! ;)

ToddDH September 22nd, 2011 03:12 PM

Even if one didn't know this was a scam, it's easy to figure out. It also was probably not from Spain.

Notice the misspellings or lack of plurals, etc., etc.

They're not all on the internet either. My niece DeAnna and her husband were in Knoxville a couple of years ago and ran across a Travel Agency with signs promising the moon. Being one who loves to catch scams, he parked and they went in.

The furniture was cheap, there were a few cheap posters on the walls, etc. What initially surprised him were that there were a lot of customers, all of whom were well heeled. They just sat down and watched the operation. The customer had to pay up front for their vacation but were provided tons of legitimate brochures, "receipts," paper work, you name it for everything from cruises to European vacations. When he inquired how long the Agency had been in business they said for years but they'd just moved into these new quarters which was in a mostly run down building. The receptionist said they were very prominent and very successful with thousands and thousands of satisfied customers. As a matter of fact beaming customers, documents in hand were leaving, several in fact and DeAnna was only there for about ten minutes.

He knew immediately what was going on. He turned to Deanna and said, "C'mon, I'm going to show you something." They went and got into their Mercedes (which was only one of several high end cars in the guest parking lot). He pulled into the street and then turned down an alley that led to the rear of the building. Behind the building were four cars, all heaps and they all had out of state tags. He just turned to DeAnna and smiled.

She turned it into an investigative reporter for a local TV station and he said he'd check into it in the next week. On Monday the place was gone but he did some research. There were no business documents on file, not even the name of the business! Of course DeAnna's husband was right. The thing was they had scammed over just two months of occupancy in that building, tens and tens of thousands of dollars, most from people who obviously should have known better because they targeted the well to do. The reporter found they move around all over the country and always use a name geared to attract the liveried gentry. What DeAnna's husband couldn't fathom was here were people used to dealing with high end businesses and this "new" travel agency explained they hadn't done the redecorating yet! They have the uncanny ability of knowing when they're time is running out (probably when people call or revisit asking questions of why they hadn't heard something, etc., yet about their vacation).

Just goes to show it's not only the "little" guy who gets scammed! But then, Bernie Madoff proved that.....in spades!

Todd

Queen of Oakville September 22nd, 2011 03:37 PM

Hey Todd, I must be tired, because I'm not getting the part about the cars behind the building and how that was an a-ha moment? The cars were all old, so the place was a scam?

johnthed0g September 22nd, 2011 03:42 PM

Laura...send me $100 & I will tell you how to avoid these things......

Donna September 22nd, 2011 06:03 PM

Yea Todd,
I was a little fuzzy about the cars in the bad of the building too? What would give it away?? I just knew by reading the e-mail, it was not what it seemed...

Mike M September 22nd, 2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna (Post 1393734)
Yea Todd,
I was a little fuzzy about the cars in the bad of the building too? What would give it away?? I just knew by reading the e-mail, it was not what it seemed...

Out of state plates are sign of a scam. Many grifters go from state to state. Legitimate business' would probably be locals.

Try driving around rural Alabama with Minnesota plates. :D;)

Take care,
Mike

Donna September 22nd, 2011 08:43 PM

Ok, I get it now, thanks for clearing that up.

Queen of Oakville September 23rd, 2011 11:40 AM

I'm in good company with your Donna! Must be a Canadian thing. Seeing Quebec plates in an Ontario lot would not strike me as odd. IF I noticed, i'd just assume they hadn't changed their plates yet.

[and we call them plates here, not tags] ...tags, if anything, are the renewal stickers that go on your plates!

AR September 23rd, 2011 03:05 PM

There's more to it than that. . .just like you want your dentist to have good teeth, your lawyer not to have a record, your doctor to be healthy, it's reasonable to expect that your "high-end" travel agent won't be driving around in junkers. . .to some extent at least, the image has to fit the gig or it's a red flag. But of course so many red flags had already shot up that he didn't even need to drive down the alley. It was a no brainer, just like the letter in the OP.

ToddDH September 24th, 2011 08:03 PM

I'm glad everyone got my point. AR's right, he didn't have to drive behind the building but he did so to prove a point to DeAnna.

Some info on my niece's husband. This man makes money hand over fist. He is, in fact, what is known as a "liquid" millionaire, probably two or three times over. He can liquidate all of his "assets" in a hearbeat if he so desires. Not only does he own a huge and very respected Pawn Shop (he even tells some folks to take their jewelry to a jewelry store as they'll get far more for it than he gives), he nevertheless is the consumate business professional. What most don't know is that he makes more money when he gets home than he ever does in his retail business. He lives on his I-Pod and has every electronic means of contact known to the human race. He is also a pragmatist. This man buys NOTHING new. Yet he owns priceless stuff. Ten years ago he showed me his "collection" of old currency. They were in scrap book type folders. I asked him, "What is this stuff worth?" His reply, "Oh, about a couple of hundred thousand dollars. (!) He finally, at strong urging from yours truly put it in safe deposit boxes! To him, it was nothing more than an historical collection!

He is a classical example of "The Classic American Entrepreneuer." He wants to retire at fifty and not have a financial worry whatsoever once he does. Take it to the bank, he will! He listens and seeks advice from virtually anyone he trusts, even me!

Speaking of "Pawn Shops" he says that "Pawn Stars" misses the best and most interesting part of the business, and that is THE CUSTOMERS! I hang out there a lot when I'm in their town and he's 100 % correct. They're fascinating! From all strata of society! Some buy, some pawn and some sell. Everything from deadbeats to high rollers. It's amazing. Oh, and by the way, they all LOVE his business, especially his Father-In-Law (my older brother).

BTW. when just about every gun store in this country was out of guns and ammo a little over a year ago, he had plenty of BOTH! He was selling to some of the larger gun dealers in the country! Oh, and is he "slick?" Not on your life! Everything is documented to the nth degree and he adheres not just to the law but to the letter of the law! How can he do that and be so successful. The answer is simple, it's good business!

Does he take care of his family members (on both sides) and his employees? Like you'd never ever believe!

Todd

Dhill September 25th, 2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1393665)

Why not post it get it out in the light and expose it for what it really is a scam. Why would you fill out an application with all your info on it and send it to this person :confused:

creativedisco September 25th, 2011 10:38 AM

I don't have to even read the letter to tell you that it's a scam. It's probably a fairly common one, too, given the state of our economy.