Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 2nd, 2011, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Default Fatty Food Tax

As if the Danes are not taxed enough

BBC News - 'Fatty food tax' introduced in Denmark

I can't speak for the USA - can't see the idea going down well in the UK.

Annie
Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2011, 09:30 AM
Admiral

I don't think it would go down at all here.
Old October 8th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Admiral

In a free society we should be able to eat what we want. Food should not be taxed at all.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old October 8th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Manuel,

Right on!
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old October 9th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
In a free society we should be able to eat what we want. Food should not be taxed at all.

TM
Then who decides what is food and what is not? Is anything edible or ingestible considered food?
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 9th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Then who decides what is food and what is not? Is anything edible or ingestible considered food?
Now that's food for thought.
Old January 18th, 2012, 01:50 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Basically, saturated fats are found in animal products and processed foods, such as meats, dairy products, chips, and pastries. They are not heart healthy since they are most known for raising LDL cholesterol or simply the "bad cholesterol". That is the reason why Denmark levies first-ever saturated fat tax. All fats in food in Denmark will be taxed in an effort to lower consumption. The Danish tax system will be the first real-world test of taxing a particular food element as a way to reduce or change consumption toward “healthier” options. This is an intervention to promote health, maintain wellness and shun ailments related to fat intake, hence preventing money or even to be expended due to expensive therapy. On the contrary, some call this an ineffective effort, but only time can tell.

Indeed, the fat tax is certainly a creative tax. While it has definite advantages for both state governments and individual people's health, there are also some discriminatory issues as well as more damage to people's wallets. Well, let's see if this will work.
Old January 18th, 2012, 01:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifergreen View Post
Indeed, the fat tax is certainly a creative tax. While it has definite advantages for both state governments and individual people's health, there are also some discriminatory issues as well as more damage to people's wallets. Well, let's see if this will work.
I see one big advantage for the government to collect more cash.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old January 18th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Captain

A "fat tax" employed properly and without mercy in the USA could wipe out the national debt.
Not that it will actually fly or anything...

Why you should never follow a penguin underwater
Old January 18th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Administrator
Admiral

You can eat anything. Digesting it is the hard part.

I'm not an advocate of the "Food Police" but I am an advocate of labeling and identifying foods that are high in saturated fat, sugar and sodium. I am appalled at the amount of sugar and sodium that is now in our food.

I am not one who protests the use of High Fructose Corn Syrup because I believe it's going to cause your child to have autism or grow a third eye. I dislike it because it's in everything and it's in everything in high amounts. We wonder why we have an obesity problem. Check out the difference in total calories between bread with HFC and plain sugar.

It is also sodium. We all know that salt and sugar makes things taste better and salt also gives food a longer shelf life. I am always taken back when I see that one serving (who eats the recommended serving) of canned soup has over one gram of sodium. It is ridiculous.

People need to speak with their checkbook and not buy foods that are high in sugars (HFC or regular sugar) and in sodium. Also, if foods high in trans-fat are not purchased then there will be leaner alternatives.

Most of all. Let people make the choice and not the government.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 18th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Admiral

I agree that people should eat better that what they do. But it's not the place of the government to dictate what people eat.
If people choose to let their kids sit in front of a computer every minute they are home and not get any physical activity, order a pizza every other night for supper and eat at McD's the rest of the time, then that's the parents responsibility-- not the responsibility of the Gov. to dictate how and what they should do. It's the parents responsibility to see the kids get some exercise other than working their fingers on a text message or on a keyboard.
Kids were not as obese several years ago as they are now and one big reason is simply that they got outside, burned up some energy by playing, riding bikes, running and doing some physical activity other than working their fingers on keyboards and talking on a cell phone. Another is that they ate differently-- they had cooked meals at home, fruits, veggies, etc. and not a lot of junk in between.
In reality, there's not many things you can't name me that the Feds. are not involved in--and, every time the Feds do get involved in something, it gets to be more complicated and costly day after day.
Remember the old Laurel and Hardy movies where one was always saying to the other " Well, here's another fine mess you've gotten me into ."
That's what happens in every time the Gov. gets involved--another fine mess !
We are slowly but surely sliding down the slope to where we do not take nor seem to want any responsibility for ourselves, our kids or anything else. Let the Gov. handle it--then gripe like hell when it becomes " another fine mess ." Just my humble opinion which, as I say, is worthless to anyone but me.