Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 10th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Participants for TV Documentary

Hi everyone,

I work for Zig Zag Productions in London; Iím in the early stages of research for a new travel series for National Geographic.

The aim of this series is to look at the scams that occur in cities around the globe that are aimed at tourists. We want to provide an informative travel show that emphasizes each city as a travel destination but at the same time aims to make tourists aware of any scams; from ticket touts to pick pocketing to more elaborate cons.

I would love to hear from anyone who has experienced a travel scam around the world and might like to tell their story on camera for us. If you would be interested in this you can contact me by email; Kirsty.renton@zigzag.uk.com or by phone; 020 017 8755.

Thanks for your help with this.

Kirsty Renton

(Administrator approved)
Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

While researching for my recent trip to Europe I read alot about scams, but luckily, we didn't see or hear about any on our cruise.

I saw a segment on tv about people, tossing what looked to be an infant in the air, and, of course this had people running to help, leaving their handbags, cameras,and shopping bags, on the ground, while others in the crew, cleaned up, and disappeared.

I am surprised, with all our many Cruisemates, no one has ever gotten scammed... anyone have a story?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 11th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

With all the info on the web, if one does their research properly, I feel pretty sure they can avoid scams for the most part within or outside the USA. By the time NatGeo gets a hold of data and it comes to viewers, it will either be repeated, commonly known or old info.
Sorry... there are enough scams readily available on the internet if you search for them, to make a documentary on.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"

Last edited by fun2cruiz; October 11th, 2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old October 12th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Captain

One guy accosted us whilst in Seville last year. He heard us talking in English and was very eager to tell us about his brother who was working in Birmingham. From this he turned to his own life and how he was visiting from some Middle Eastern country, all the time we're thinking "we can't just be rude & walk off, but where is this going", oh and of course hanging on tight to our belongings.

Now he tried to scam us. Look he said handing us a note of several thousand "dollars" this is my home country. What notes do you have? I have never seen a 20 or 50 Euro note, do you have any on you?

Oh yeah right! let me hand you a note, or get my wallet out, and bye-bye leaving me with a note worth a few cents or less.

"I didn't get off the last boat"

Alan.

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+1), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura, Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old October 12th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Admiral

Now that's a very smart move, Alan! You should be, as we say over here, "On the job."

TDH
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old October 13th, 2011, 01:52 AM
Captain

scam # 1
so-called "Art Auctions" onboard the cruise...