CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Water on ships... (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/385517-water-ships.html)

johnthed0g October 17th, 2011 07:13 AM

Water on ships...

Now....Me.. I was under the impression that although the tap water may have a slight after-taste at times I thought that all experienced cruisers realised that this water is perfectly safe to drink....safer certainly than tap water in most of the world....Well...apparently this is not so, some people are under the impression that you cannot drink it & will not even use it (UK ships), to BOIL in the kettles in the rooms as they are convinced it is not safe. I was totally astonished at this, someone (first timer) asked where to get water for the kettle, I just laughed & said "out of the tap" turning to another seasoned cruiser for confirmation...who far from backing me up said they too would only use bottled water even in the kettle!! Is it me??

Manuel October 17th, 2011 07:33 AM

The water on cruiseships is excellent and 100% safe to drink.

TM

Trip October 17th, 2011 07:51 AM

Maybe they should offer a tour of the desalination plant on the ship...then again, maybe they are so entrenched in their beliefs, it wouldn't sway them at all...too bad for all their worries though..no tea for them I guess:)

johnthed0g October 17th, 2011 09:50 AM

Manuel...WE know that but some otherwise sane logical people have doubts...
Trip...What makes it even more strange is they drink tea & coffee in the restaurants, have ice in drinks, have water with meals...I wonder where they think it comes from. On UK ships we have kettles in the rooms to make our own hot drinks, it appears people put BOTTLED water in the kettles to then BOIL to make tea/coffee..I reckon you could put water from the river in a kettle & boil it for tea!!

Moiraine October 17th, 2011 10:30 AM

That's funny John. If they want to buy the bottle water,well, let them. The tap water is fine.

johnthed0g October 17th, 2011 10:45 AM

I thought it was funny..."where do I fill the kettle?"...I thought well, if say "the tap" they may think I was being sarcastic, but just blurted it out.

Paul B October 17th, 2011 10:52 AM

This brings to mind another point. The water in most Mexican ports may be unsafe to drink, and most cruisers drink beer, sodas or bottled water on shore. Then, they go to a bar and consume mixed drinks. where do they think the ice comes from? :eek::eek:

johnthed0g October 17th, 2011 11:41 AM

Ice is another subject, some ice is made using purified water some isn't....trouble is ice is ice....but some isn't nice ice!!

johnthed0g October 17th, 2011 12:07 PM

Running a little poll elsewhere, so far 2 out of 8 votes are from people who actually use bottled water in the kettle, 4 don't drink tap water but use it in the kettle, the other two just drink it.

Moiraine October 17th, 2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul B (Post 1397326)
This brings to mind another point. The water in most Mexican ports may be unsafe to drink, and most cruisers drink beer, sodas or bottled water on shore. Then, they go to a bar and consume mixed drinks. where do they think the ice comes from? :eek::eek:

If you take the ship's tours it's ususally okay. They'll tell you it's purified. Of course, if you get it elsewhere..........

johnthed0g October 17th, 2011 04:03 PM

But for people not to trust a modern ships desalination plant that probably has all kinds of health & safety regs. in place...I just was so surprised to
found one that didn't drink the water but more of 'em??

Moiraine October 17th, 2011 04:12 PM

I don't know John. It's silly.

johnthed0g October 17th, 2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moiraine (Post 1397348)
I don't know John. It's silly.

Yep...but this wasn't an "Oh I didn't realise" thing, it was they were quite right, thought that nobody in their right mind would dream of drinking the water on a ship & were shocked that we did!

Moiraine October 17th, 2011 05:26 PM

I know Johen. They don't trust the system to clean the water.

johnthed0g October 18th, 2011 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moiraine (Post 1397354)
I know Johen. They don't trust the system to clean the water.

I wonder why they don't trust it? Millions spent on water systems, all the water on the ships comes via it, rigorous checks done, yet some won't even drink it BOILED!!

Moiraine October 18th, 2011 12:35 PM

Because, in their minds, it's still filthy. Go figure.

Kuki October 18th, 2011 02:03 PM

Bottled water is a multi- billion dollar industry world wide. It is simply a mind set of people (who can afford it) that bottled water is better than the water they can get out of their taps because of incredibly effective advertising campaigns.

People take that mind set with them on ships. The cruise lines aren't going to advertise the fact the water they produce onboard is at least as clean as bottled water, because they can find profit selling the water to those with that mindset.

Trip October 18th, 2011 02:09 PM

All these people better stop drinking anything on the rocks, at the bars:)

johnthed0g October 18th, 2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1397459)
All these people better stop drinking anything on the rocks, at the bars:)

They also drink water at mealtimes & tea & coffee...
The poll now is 18 people who would not put bottled water in the kettle & 4 who do (one says it's just easier, must have a bigger cabin than us!!) one other is the person who actually said it in the first place, so I have found another two people who actually do this!!