Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Admiral

Default How about lets talk Prime steaks!

I am a beef fanatic. Always have been, always will be.

I am familiar with Ruth's Chris, Mortons, etc., etc. They are fine but my own personal "Gold Standard" has always been Gallagher's in New York. Well, while it's still up there I have a new Gold Standard and found it, of all places, in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

New York Prime is a steak house located on 28th Av between Rt. 17 and Ocean Blvd. We went there tonight for dinner after seeing a billboard on 17. I expected the usual touristy steak house type thing. WRONG!

If you order your steak medium well to well disregard what follows simply because you're throwing away your money (and it's a lot of money). Everything is a la carte and the prices are comparable with Ruth's Chris and Morton's. The quality, however, is significantly beyond both, even when it comes down to the "sides."

All steaks served in this steak house are "Pittsburgh" style meaning the exterior is completely charred. I have always ordered my steaks "Pittsburgh Rare" or "Black and Blue" as it's known elsewhere. Problem is, to properly prepare a steak in such a manner takes an extremely hot grill, something most steakhouses don't have. Well at New york Prime, this place has such a grill. Matter of fact it's a "Southbend" Grill, arguably the finest steak grill in the world with a temp of 1,700 degrees. It has now become my gold standard for steaks. Even DeAnna and Lucky who have eaten at the finest steakhouses all over the world admitted this is beyond doubt, the best they've ever experienced.

So, if you're a lover of true prime steaks, the next time you're ever in the area of Myrtle Beach SC, do yourself a huge favor and dine at New York Prime. Oh......and don't forget your American Express card!

BTW, I was the guest of Lucky and DeAnna, which of course, only adds to the experience!
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean

Last edited by ToddDH; October 24th, 2011 at 11:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

As a child, my Dad was in the meat business,so we had a lot of steak. I used to sit there with my 6 pieces in front of me, wishing it would somehow disappear!

Times have changed, and, I do enjoy a good steak. Twice now, Bruce has traveled, quite a distance away, to a super market,that used to be in our town, to buy strip steaks.

Yesterday, Bruce grilled them, and, made the comment, "this is just as good as we've had on a cruise. " I also love a porterhouse, when I don't need a loan to buy it.

Mortons aside from good steaks, has potatoes, the size of Rhode Island!

Glad you had a good time, with family, and good food.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; October 25th, 2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old October 25th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I've never heard of "Pittsburgh style', must be a Yankee thing, but I agree that the best steaks are seared. That holds the juices inside the steak and once seared it doesn't matter (as much) if it's then cooked medium or whatever as the majority of juice is still in the meat.

It does require very high heat. The way I cook them here on the ranch is over an open grill using Spanish Oak. I prepare the fire hours before cooking. The meat is seared first, then cooked to preference so it's a two step process.

Of course my beef is very fresh, the 30 steaks I cooked this month were cut that day. That being said there is also some very excellent 'aged' beef.

Because of the drought here in Texas many are culling their herds. Just yesterday I spoke with the county and they are allowing two years of non production on the agricultural exemption to allow pastures to recover. I may do that myself.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old October 25th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman
Default Ordering steak on cruise ship

BTW--On a cruise ship, in the premium steakhouse, I have given up on trying to order a steak prepared the way Todd and I have mentioned. It usually comes out over cooked. They don't seem to understand the charred or seared concept. I'll still order the steak, but only to order.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old October 25th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Admiral

Years ago there was a chain steakhouse here (UK) they used a big grill thing, nowhere near as good as the one Todd & Co mention BUT that is where I first realised there is more to this "steak thing" than my mum used to serve up. These steaks were in fact charred on the outside & pink in the centre, any fat was cooked & delicious...I have never found a steak cooked that way since. Charlies steak house in Orlando was OK but nowhere near what Todd describes...I bet these places would do well over here. Now there's a thought...
Old October 25th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

As a gal born and raised in Massachusetts, North Shore I have to jump in with my favorite steak house. The Hilltop Steak House on Route One in Saugus Mass.The building was a modern version of rustic but the tables were huge and the booths were comfortable. The place is always recognizable by the tacky array of plastic cattle out front and the huge sign with the cactus. Always busy and always good and the wait was always long.
Second favioite was just down the road and was called Valle's Steak House. They too served up good steaks, mostly to the folks who didn't want to wait at the Hilltop. I have to say they had good steaks there too. I think that most of their reputation was built by the weekly "Lobster Special" a meal that consisted of 2 lobsters and salad and potato. I worked there and served many of those. I know they are long closed now and forgotten by most.

Laura

'
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old October 25th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Admiral

Maybe it is just me but I find that here in Florida every place cooks meat until it tastes dry, no juices left in it. I really have to watch when I order steak. here medium rare means cooked to death and tough as a tire. The BBQ places seem to cook meat too long for my taste too. I learned a long time ago that if the restaurant has one of those smoker thingies in the back yard then the food is going to be tough and dry and waaaaaay overcooked. I go to the local Golden Corral and watch while they cook it. I usually get what I want there.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old October 25th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Admiral

The best steak for me is aboard any HOLLAND AMERICA SHIP.
I love the PorterHouse steak they serve at the Pinncale grill!
Its thick and tastes so good. I don`t mind paying $20.00
to eat there!!
Old October 25th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Admiral

The secret HAS to be the very high temperature so the outside is chargrilled
Old October 25th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I do like a good rare steak. Many places don't really know how to do a "black and blue" steak. They have a high heat broiler but have it too close to the heat source and you end up with carbon and raw meat.

A high temp seer is required but it must be far enough away from the flame so you have something delicious instead of a burnt offering.

There are a number of good steak places but I will put Minneapolis' own Manny's and Pittsburgh Blue over Morton's or the underwhelming Ruth's Chris. I have eaten at Ruth's Chris a number of times in a number of cities and, while good, I have yet to have a truly great steak at any of them. Also Ruth's Chris cheesecake is downright vulgar. Like a cheese pudding on top of overly sweet crushed graham crackers.

There is a trend developing that I don't like. That is the over salting of steaks. Salt is needed to enhance the flavor but many places are going overboard and crusting the steak in sea, rock or kosher salt before grilling. It also drives me nuts when they pepper and herb the steak and then throw it on the hot broiler and seer it. This just burns the pepper and the herbs and you end up with a charred mess. No one likes the taste of carbon. Put the pepper and other herbs in a butter and let that melt over the steak or seer it, herb it and then finish it in the oven. You will get an excellent steak. Finishing it in a hot oven is the best way to cook a medium-well or well done steak. You don't dry it out or serve "burnt offerings".

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 25th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Admiral

The first and ONLY time I ate steak was at Tad's Steak House in NYC in 1962.
Old October 25th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2 View Post
Maybe it is just me but I find that here in Florida every place cooks meat until it tastes dry, no juices left in it.
Laura
I will have to find a place in Florida that has good steak.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old October 26th, 2011, 02:24 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
I will have to find a place in Florida that has good steak.

TM
Good Luck!

Laura
---Mark Twain

Old October 26th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Admiral

Laura, I guess that I will have to cook my own.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!