Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:58 AM
Admiral

Default Wicked Weather

Happy Halloween and a foot of snow! What a horrible mess. It started saturday afternoon with heavy wet snow, all you could hear were the trees snapping. Major power outages, we completely lost power around 11pm on saturday, lost it a few times earlier in the evening, but it came back up, all we saw was a flash of orange and then total darkness. We are one of the lucky ones, we have a power substation on our street so our area get power priority. We got our power back sometime after midnight last night. Most of our town is still out and the estimate for total restoration isn't until wednesday or thursday, thank goodness for generators, that got us thru with heat and the refrigerator.
Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2011, 09:04 AM
Admiral

I'm glad to see you back. I hope this is not the start of a long snowy winter for you.
Old October 31st, 2011, 09:25 AM
Admiral

hoping that this was just a "freak" snowstorm. Mother Nature must really be mad at New England we have had a whole lot of really nasty weather in recent history, from tornados, to earthquakes to floods and now a major snow storm in October.
Old October 31st, 2011, 02:28 PM
First Mate

We are located southwest of Hartford around 14 miles or so. Our entire town is without power as are the vast majority of towns north and west of us. Outlook for restoration, given the magnitude state-wide, is a week or more.

We are fortunate in that we have a gas fireplace and a gas stove, so we have heat and can heat water for tea, and washing. I can take a shower at work, which I did today, but Mrs. S is not so lucky. As well, there is hardly a hotel room left in the entire state - believe me I have tried.

We are keeping some perishables out on the patio in a cooler so as to have milk, juice, etc.

During Irene, we lost power for about 30 seconds. despite the bleak outlook, we count ourselves fortunate in that we have what we have. If we are not back by the week end, I am planning on going to upsstae New York near Albany and spend the 2 days there so at least my wife can wash her hair, etc. I will keep checking hotels ( I have to do so from work), but am not hopeful. Our building here (4,000+ people) is running on generator.

Life in New England......

Read and post cruise reviews
Old October 31st, 2011, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I saw the head line "Wicked Weather" I just had to see if it was someone from Mass who wrote that post. I was born and raised there and and just knew it had to be. Thanks for the great memory of home, it made me smile.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old October 31st, 2011, 08:31 PM
Admiral

As some of you may now, I have lived in Connecticut for many years and am now moving to Florida.
We now in the process of driving to Fl.. I want to tell all the people in the Northeast that help is on the way. We have seen hundreds of utility trucks driving north on I95. We started seeing the trucks in S, New Jersey yesterday. The we kept on seeing more of them in Delaware and Maryland.
Today we many more in Virginia plus North and South Carolina.

In my old neighborhood in Ct. they are all in the dark.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Lisa, glad your power is back and all is well...
We were supposed to get that same storm on Sunday, but it amounted to a LOT of rain, and high winds, but thankfully, no snow.....yet!

donna
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:57 PM
Admiral

We normally have the same weather as CT but not this past weekend ,no problems at all here .
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

In my little part of Ma...we were lucky..making up for Irene, I guess. I expected to lose power again, but we lucked out. Bruce, on his way to work, said, it looked like a war zone...close by many are without power.

In the super market parking lot, I took my snow remover, and slid the entire blanket of snow off...the heat of the sun did all the work,and this week could hit 60....Mother Nature needs some valium!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 1st, 2011, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Laura, yep definately from Mass, its funny how certain words just become a part of your local vocabulary.
Old November 1st, 2011, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Trip you are so lucky that you didn't loose power. We were without for about 24 hours, some parts of our town are still without. Now the clean-up begins. We were outside yesterday afternoon all you could hear were chainsaws. Its kinda sad, trees we planted 20 years ago when we built the house, gone in a matter of a few hours
Old November 1st, 2011, 02:48 PM
Admiral

It is sad to lose trees. I hope the cleanup won't be too bad.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 08:41 AM
Admiral

talk about irony, dh's chainsaw won't run, are you kidding me lol. Its at the repair shop, hopefully won't be out of commission for too long.