Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 11th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Default The X-Factor

Is anyone watching the show ? If so ,who are you rooting for ?

I'm rooting for Josh and Rachael .
Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2011, 07:01 AM
First Mate

!!DREW!! She is from a small town not too far from us, and has such an amazing voice!!

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Carnival Elation 11/02/2009
Carnival Pride 04/24/2006
Carnival Pride 05/23/2004
Carnival Elation (I think) 1999
Old November 12th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Drew is good but the 2 other females in her group are better in my opinion .

The thing that irks me is the 14 year old rap "singer" being allowed to perform songs he writes .This is unfair to everyone else in the competition .
Old November 13th, 2011, 01:23 AM
First Mate

He is only writing bits of them. The song he sang Tuesday was an Eminem song with his little wrap pieced in.

I bet if any of the contestants wanted to write their own lyrics they would allow it. Most couldn't or wouldn't.

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Carnival Elation 11/02/2009
Carnival Pride 04/24/2006
Carnival Pride 05/23/2004
Carnival Elation (I think) 1999
Old November 13th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Admiral

Default Not so

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDGodwin View Post
He is only writing bits of them. The song he sang Tuesday was an Eminem song with his little wrap pieced in.

I bet if any of the contestants wanted to write their own lyrics they would allow it. Most couldn't or wouldn't.

Josh has written music ,so has Leroy Bell .

Prior to the Eminem son the guy was "singing" songs written 100% by him.
Old December 13th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Admiral

The finals will be Dec.22 .

My prediction is that Melanie Amaro will win .
Old December 23rd, 2011, 09:22 PM
Admiral

Congratulations to Melanie Amaro .A well deserved win .
Old December 24th, 2011, 06:44 AM
Admiral

Talentwise, she was indeed the best. I liked Josh too. The third place winner, the name escapes me, was the one who REALLY wanted it with honesty. I know his singing wasn't perfect (like Melanie), but thought he might have won on popularity on the obstacles he's overcome.

Makes no difference for the runners up, they will have lucritive careers ahead without being locked into an X Factor contract. Melanie's life now will be under contract rulings, so the losers really made out better with freedom of choices.
Old December 24th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Admiral

The UK version ended up with a "girl band" winning, only one of whom appeared to be able to sing, children vote for them, some really great singers went out either because they ''didn't look right'' or media attention caused the public to dislike them, the fact they were all better singers than those who got further didn't seem to matter.
Old December 24th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Admiral

You're exactly correct John. That's why I've pretty much stopped watching any of the "singing/talent" shows. They've just turned into a "kiddie popularity contest". It's really sad to see some of these folks who have genuine talent get tossed aside. Can you imagine Tony Bennett or Mel Torme on one of these shows?

"SKY"
Old December 24th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Admiral

Default Mel Torme

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
You're exactly correct John. That's why I've pretty much stopped watching any of the "singing/talent" shows. They've just turned into a "kiddie popularity contest". It's really sad to see some of these folks who have genuine talent get tossed aside. Can you imagine Tony Bennett or Mel Torme on one of these shows?

"SKY"

Mel Torme and Vaughn Monroe would not have made the final 12 .Tony Bennett IMHO would .He is recording songs with current singers and seems to be appreciated by 2011 music fans .
Old December 25th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Mel Torme and Vaughn Monroe would not have made the final 12 .Tony Bennett IMHO would .He is recording songs with current singers and seems to be appreciated by 2011 music fans .
You're no doubt correct about Mel Torme, and Vaughn Monroe, but I still think Tony Bennett would be "voted off" as well, even though he appreciates the music of today, he doesn't have the "looks" that a 14 year old girl would appreciate, so even though he might sing the music that a 14 year old girl would like, he doesn't have the "Justin Bieber" look.

"SKY"
Old December 25th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Admiral

I think you make the mistake that people actually vote on these shows based on the talent of the contestants, they vote purely on who they "like".
Old December 25th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Quote:
You're no doubt correct about Mel Torme, and Vaughn Monroe, but I still think Tony Bennett would be "voted off" as well, even though he appreciates the music of today,
Quote:
he doesn't have the "looks" that a 14 year old girl would appreciate, so even though he might sing the music that a 14 year old girl would like, he doesn't have the "Justin Bieber" look.
"SKY"
Sky, I would listen to Tony Bennet any day over Justin and the other teen idols. He still has the stuff to make this older Italian lady's heart beat faster ;-) He can still sing even in his 80's I did watch a show with him and Amy Winehouse. She was talented so sad she died so young.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old December 25th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Admiral

Default Tony Bennett

In 1953 my fathers closest friend was the Maitre'D of the Nevele Country Club . A young Tony Bennett recorded a song there and gave the demo to my fathers friend .He was deemed at that time to become a music superstar .He definitely succeeded .
Old December 26th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2 View Post
Sky, I would listen to Tony Bennet any day over Justin and the other teen idols. He still has the stuff to make this older Italian lady's heart beat faster ;-) He can still sing even in his 80's I did watch a show with him and Amy Winehouse. She was talented so sad she died so young.

Laura
I absolutely agree Laura! I absolutely HATE hearing the "vocal gymnastics" that the singers of today seem to think is necessary? I sing our National Anthem at our concerts (Lakeland Concert Band) and I can't tell you how many people tell me that I should sing it at the sporting events, instead of the "stars" who absolutely slaughter that beautiful song! By the way, you should come to one of our concerts. I think you'd enjoy it!

Ken
"SKY"
Old December 26th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Admiral

I am a Vaughn Monroe devotee . With great effort I attempt to sing his classic songs .
Old December 26th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
I am a Vaughn Monroe devotee . With great effort I attempt to sing his classic songs .
Oddly enough Henry, I met Vaughn Monroe, many years ago as I was working on a computer in one of the major hotels in St. Petersburg, Florida. He was scheduled to perform there, and checked in while I was working behind the counter. I got to shake his hand, and say hello. Seemed like a VERY nice gentleman!

"SKY"
Old December 26th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Admiral

I never met him but always admired him .
Old December 27th, 2011, 03:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Quote:
I absolutely agree Laura! I absolutely HATE hearing the "vocal gymnastics" that the singers of today seem to think is necessary? I sing our National Anthem at our concerts (Lakeland Concert Band) and I can't tell you how many people tell me that I should sing it at the sporting events, instead of the "stars" who absolutely slaughter that beautiful song! By the way, you should come to one of our concerts. I think you'd enjoy it!

Ken
"SKY"
Ken, I just went and "googled" your band. Why have you been hiding this gem? I would absolutely love to attend the shows. I am going to plan on it for the very near future. Thanks.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old December 27th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2 View Post
Ken, I just went and "googled" your band. Why have you been hiding this gem? I would absolutely love to attend the shows. I am going to plan on it for the very near future. Thanks.

Laura
EXCELLENT! I truly think you'll have a GREAT time at our concerts, and not only that,,,but the price is right! FREE! Actually, when we perform at the "Lakeland Center" they do charge $7 per car to park, but that's still a bargain! As you no doubt noted, we're about 80 pieces strong, and we do perform concerts from about September, until April. Our next concert is January 22nd, at the Lakeland Center. As usual, I'll be playing the Tuba, and singing our National Anthem. Hope to see you there!

"SKY"