Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:47 PM
Admiral

In the mid 60's a guy from my team was signed by the Lakers .He played 3 exhibition games and was sent to Greece to refine his game . He opted to stay abroad rather than attempt to be a 6'4" forward in the NBA . I believe his highest salary was $1000 a month .Oh how times have changed .
Old November 22nd, 2011, 07:56 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
In the mid 60's a guy from my team was signed by the Lakers .He played 3 exhibition games and was sent to Greece to refine his game . He opted to stay abroad rather than attempt to be a 6'4" forward in the NBA . I believe his highest salary was $1000 a month .Oh how times have changed .
Yeah, but in the mid 60s you could get a loaf of bread fer a nickel. That's 20,000 loaves of bread every month.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:22 PM
Admiral

In the mid 40's I could get a loaf of bread for a nickel ,not the 60's .Where were you shopping ?
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Henry,

Actually it was about a quarter or probably less for the store brand but 7x57's point is well taken. In 1971 I could get a quart of milk out of a vending machine for 25 cents. A thousand bucks a month was a LOT of money, if not in New York City, everywhere else. Oh and by the way, the 25 cents for a quart of milk was in the Hudson Valley!

Of course they didn't have Gristedes in the Hudson Valley. But then, they've gone down the tubes as well.

My grandmother used to live at 215 East 68th Street in a three bedroom apartment. Her rent was around 750 bucks a month and she was a millionaire. Check the rent for the same building today for a three bedroom apartment. You can do it, as I recently did.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean

Last edited by ToddDH; November 22nd, 2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 10:35 PM
Admiral

Default 215 E.68 St.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Henry,

Actually it was about a quarter or probably less for the store brand but 7x57's point is well taken. In 1971 I could get a quart of milk out of a vending machine for 25 cents. A thousand bucks a month was a LOT of money, if not in New York City, everywhere else. Oh and by the way, the 25 cents for a quart of milk was in the Hudson Valley!

Of course they didn't have Gristedes in the Hudson Valley. But then, they've gone down the tubes as well.

My grandmother used to live at 215 East 68th Street in a three bedroom apartment. Her rent was around 750 bucks a month and she was a millionaire. Check the rent for the same building today for a three bedroom apartment. You can do it, as I recently did.
I recall being able to buy milk at a grocery on Park Avenue and E.68 St .in 1963 for a quarter.