Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 20th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Admiral

Default Nascar's new champion, tony stewart

I understand a lot of you aren't into automobile racing but those of you who are and like NASCAR, if you didn't see tonight's finale', you missed undoubtedly one of, if not THE most exciting NASCAR race ever run with Tony Stewart winning the race and the Cup by tying the score of the second runner Carl Edwards but winning because Tony had the most wins.

Stewart entered the "Chase" without a single win and then won five of the last ten races and today came all the way from the back of the pack not once but twice! I guess that's why they call him "Smoke."
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Captain

It just don't get no better than the race today. I had to leave just as the rain brought out the red flag. Had to listen to the race on the radio but so glad I could do that. D/H had a square dance to call but I stayed in the car until the race was over. Tony was on a mission and he was able to complete it! I've been following NASCAR since I was a little girl with my Dad teaching me about the rules. Todays race was the best I've ever seen or listened to. They are going to replay the race at 1am and I hope to watch it, hope they show all the post race interviews. If you can't tell, I LOVE RACING!!! Very happy with Tony being the new champion, but feel bad for Carl. Carl is a class act.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old November 21st, 2011, 07:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

It was truely a great race to watch. Way to go TONY!!!
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 21st, 2011, 10:54 AM
Admiral

yep woohoo way to go "Smoke"
Old November 22nd, 2011, 07:34 AM
Admiral

Thoroughly enjoyed the race over on this side of the pond as well - well apart from the rain shower making the circuit dangerously damp for an hour, don't they know some of us have to get to work the next morning
Thank goodness for the TV recorder.

My main reason for watching was that I am employed, for my sins, by Office Depot, and of course they switched allegiances/sponsorship from Carl to Tony, so there was a definite feeling of 'did they back the right guy?'. But Wow, well done to both teams for providing such a great race.

Great to have both drivers providing in-car commentary sa they drove as well, makes the sport so much more fan-orientated.

Did they ever discover what punched that big hole in the front of Tony's grill?

Alan

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:01 AM
Admiral

Alan,

They pretty much concluded that the hole in Tony's grill was caused by a piece of the transmission that went kaflooey in front of Tony. Thankfully it didn't damage the radiator. Everything a car strikes at the speeds they are travelling magnifies what it would do a passenger vehicle at turnpike speeds.

Folks really, even with the "speed shots" understand just how fast 180 mph is until one sees it live. This because the cameras usually pan along with the car then on screen. The usual first thought oe one at a live race is "How can they even keep them on the track much less pass anyone?"
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:12 PM
Admiral

It was a great weekend at Homestead. We were prepared and had our rain ponchoes with us so we never left or seats. Of course when we went down on the track after the race we got soaked. We have been going to Homestead since the first truck race.

I listen on a scanner during the race and the first time that Tony was in the lead Carl got on and asked if it was true that if Tony was first and Carl second, thereby tieing the points that Tony would win and of course he was told yes, Carl was very dejected when he replied "I thougth so".

Tony has now done something that no one else can do. He has a Winston, Nextel and Sprint Championship.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:36 PM
Admiral

I've never watched a car race ,however ,about 25 years ago a co-worker raced a car in Englishtown,NJ and I did plan to go there .