Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 3rd, 2011, 12:17 AM
Admiral

Default No business like show business

You know that I've bragged before about the theatre scene here in Washington. I believe we can slug it out with New York or London any day. We're full season subcribers to a couple theatres, go to others on an ad hoc basis, generally average a play or a musical a week. Can't live without them. Our beloved and newly rebuilt Arena Stage (three stunning performance spaces) sends around an e-mail before each performance to remind us about the performance date and to give us a little precis of what we'll be seeing. This is what we have coming up in a few days, written by one of three of Arena's resident playwrights. (Ever hear of a theatre that has resident playwrights? We've got 'em). Anyway, given the state of the nation that we've been discussing on other strings, I'm looking forward to this one. . .

You, Nero

By resident playwright Amy Freed
Directed by Nicholas Martin
in the Fichandler

Subversive Comedy

As Rome collapses beneath Emperor Nero's outrageous narcissism, a forgotten playwright tries to restore order through the art of theater in this "gloriously funny" (New York Times) farce. Pulitzer Prize finalist Amy Freed's wild romp questions whether well-crafted drama and intellect are any match for decadence and good old-fashioned bloodshed.

Old December 3rd, 2011, 12:34 AM
Admiral

Well AR, it depends on what theatre you like?

I was in DC earlier this year - and apart from the Kennedy Centre - there was not much on esp in repertory - I was so disappointed.

But generally I am more of a repertory girl than musicals - that is not to say I don't like musicals - I do.

In Glasgow we have always had a strong repertory tradition - except at this time of the year - it is Pantomine season.

In our family we start taking them to the theatre young - maybe 2 or 3 and by the time they are 4 or 5 - a full length musical is well within their stamina.

I do love a good night out at the theatre.

Annie

PS Boston theatre scene is OK - not as good as I hoped but OK.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 07:42 AM
Admiral

Boy it is tough to do Dismembered Limbs night after night.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old December 3rd, 2011, 08:15 AM
Admiral

Sounds like a GREAT show AR! I'd join you for this performance in a heartbeat! ENJOY!

"SKY"
Old December 3rd, 2011, 10:47 AM
Admiral

Washington has a history of great theatre. Many years ago when I was a second lieutenant in the USAF working at the NSA, I was given the opportunity to usher at the Shubert theatre (long since closed) on weekends. The head usher was a civilian lady in our office and she gave a couple of us the opportunity to work for a small stipend and to bring our dates to the theatre to see the shows. I was able to see dozens of broadway and pre-Broadway musicals and plays. I only wish I had kept all the Playbills.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 02:49 PM
Admiral

I love theater .In my opinion theatrical actors are the only "true" actors .

As I've posted numerous times before . I have 2 friends who act in regional theater and one who directs (NY ,NJ) .

I have several friends residing in Arlington who have told me how wonderful theater is there . I hope to find out for myself next year .
Old December 3rd, 2011, 08:13 PM
Admiral

I too understand that DC has a very good theater representation. Fran and I had planned to go to DC because I haven't been there since I was a teenager and the Air and Space Museum didn't even exist.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean