Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 13th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Admiral

Default Holiday Treats

Does everyone have a special treat they only make during the holiday season? If yes what is it and how did the tradition get started, was it passed along from past generations or is it something you started?

I make sweet tamales every year. I took over the tradition after my father in-law passed away six years ago.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Normally I make Rum Balls, mainly to give out but this year decided to try something different. My Mom had made the rum balls for a few years before she died and since the recipe is so easy I decided to do it. I made Bourbon Cakes. Will make a Chocolate Rum Cake to take to daughter's for Christmas for us.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old December 13th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

It's just been in recent years, I started making fudge. I found the best and easiest recipe ever, so, now, it's a must have.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 13th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Admiral

My mother was famous for her butterscotch (she went bananas when folks would refer to it as "brittle").

The recipe is so simple but it's so hard to make.

The ingredients:

Spread halved walnuts on at least three cookie sheets. (Hint, I loved the nuts!)

Then, in a iron skillet but either two sticks of butter or one stick of butter and one of margarine.

Pour a box of Light brown sugar over it.

Turn on the heat and start stirring....constantly. When it starts to bubble, you have to watch the color (she never used a candy thermometer) and when it gets a rich golden brown, immediately pick up the skillet and start pouring it over the walnuts on the cookie sheets (you'd better set up three sheets just in case because once you start pouring you can't stop).

Here's the problem. A few seconds too long (and i mean seconds) and it tastes burnt; a few second too soon and it's gritty. Even she used to lose one out of every six or eight batches she made.

Then break it up into pieces.

It is to die for!
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old December 13th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Admiral

Potato latkes
Old December 13th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Admiral

All of them sound so yummy!!

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old December 13th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Admiral

My DW makes pizzeles at Christmas time.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old December 14th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I will be more than glad to taste test any of the above treats, just send them along. My address is.........
Manuel, When I was a kid growing up in Massachusetts my Grandmother and my Aunts made pizzelles at Christmas time. Back then there were no electric pizzelle makers. They used the irons that my Grandmother brought over from Italy in 1908. The cookies were a different shape and thicker back then. Sometimes they would make a sandwich out of the cookies and fill them with a chocolate nut filling much like Nutella. Today we occasionally get cookies from those same pizzelle irons. My cousin Sandra in NH has the ones that my Grandmother owned.
When I was celebrating Christmas I used to make "Scotcheroos" I have not done that in many years. My Mother always made "Suet Pudding" some know it as plum pudding. In my mind I can still hear it steaming on the stove and smell the aroma of the spices in it. She always had many pies and homemade breads too. Oh how I miss those days and spending time with family and all the traditions of a large Italian family.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old December 14th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Admiral

I usually make a pumpkin roll. Won't happen this year. The OH makes pies.
Old December 14th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Admiral

I make peanut butter fudge.......my mom always made it........the kind ya gotta boil & then beat til smooth......

My mom can't do the beating anymore so I make lots of batches......

Real easy recipe......

3 cups sugar
1 can evaperated milk
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
3 HEAPING tbs peanut butter ( I use a small jar)

Mix sugar, milk & salt in pan & stir on high til bubbly. Turn heat to medium & don't stir til it reaches saft ball stage....I use the drop in a small amount of cold water.....they do have themometers that say that....but.....like Todd said.....the old fashion way is what I do

Take off heat......add vanillia & peanut butter & let cool. Then beat until smooth & pour onto a buttered plate & smooch out......(that's a tech term) Let completly cool & cut into pieces & enjoy!

Sharon
Old December 14th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Admiral

my signature item is crescent dinner rolls from scratch, i bake cookies and have a handful of specialty request cakes that i make with the most popular one being "death by chocolate" trifle
Old December 14th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Oh...Sharon you brought back the most amazing memories for me. When I was little Mom and I used to make fudge from the recipe on the Hershey Cocoa powder. As I grew she allowed me to do it myself. I had the recipe memorized back then. Sometimes we would add peanut butter to the recipe or split the mix and put fudge in some and the rest were chocolate.
Now I use a recipe that is similar to the one on the Marshmallow Fluff jar but not quite. I believe that one is buried deep in the cooking section of another forum I belong to. Sharon on my recent cruise I enjoyed the chocolate buffet. I was thinking about the one we had on Glory back in 2005. We really enjoyed that one.
I still love to cook but had not done much since I have no one to cook for. Only lately I have been taking an interest in cooking again. I am even planning to cook a baked ham dinner for Christmas even though I am alone.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old December 14th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Laura...........glad I brought back memories for ya.......I also make the fudge from the cocoa box.....

Those were good memories of the chocolate buffet on the Glory...........so much fun........

Leftover ham is alway good!!!!!

Sharon
Old December 14th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlb1050 View Post
Normally I make Rum Balls ...
When I was a kid, my mum made rum balls every Christmas. Age has caught up to her now, and the family is far-flung, so that tradition has died. I will never forget the flavor, and how you would bite into a rum-soaked nut , the alcohol burned for a moment before being swept away by the sweet deliciousness.
Old December 14th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Admiral

I am often asked to make:

Tablet - similar to fudge - but the beating takes 40mins

Clootie Dumpling

and an American Chocolate cake: Devil's Choc Cake

also my standby Rice Pudding - I discovered this year on my Connie cruise - the Turks are big on rice pudding too - so I will tweak a few variations.

Annie

PS nearly forgot the Ginger Wine - we made and drank that a lot before Coca-Cola became widely available.

Last edited by anniegb; December 14th, 2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old December 14th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Admiral

annie, I have to ask. what is Clootie Dumpling and Ginger Wine?

Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old December 14th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlb1050 View Post
annie, I have to ask. what is Clootie Dumpling and Ginger Wine?
Clootie dumpling is a traditional Scots recipe - flour and suet based with dried fruit, spices and syrup/treacle - boiled in a cloth and finished off on an open fire. My mother used to make one for our birthdays and she hid silver coins in it. V. similar to the English Christmas pudding but lighter. IMHO - best served fried the next day for breakfast.

Ginger wine - made from water,lemon, ginger and brandy. Added to whisky to create a Whisky Mac. Our local store sometimes stocked essence which simplified the process ; we made a gallon at a time and we had to store empty lemonade bottles for weeks.

I was one of a large family - a gallon would only last us 2 days.

Annie
Old December 14th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
Clootie dumpling is a traditional Scots recipe - flour and suet based with dried fruit, spices and syrup/treacle - boiled in a cloth and finished off on an open fire. My mother used to make one for our birthdays and she hid silver coins in it. V. similar to the English Christmas pudding but lighter. IMHO - best served fried the next day for breakfast.

Ginger wine - made from water,lemon, ginger and brandy. Added to whisky to create a Whisky Mac. Our local store sometimes stocked essence which simplified the process ; we made a gallon at a time and we had to store empty lemonade bottles for weeks.

I was one of a large family - a gallon would only last us 2 days.

Annie
both sound very good.

Old December 14th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Admiral

French Canadian Tortiere, or meat pie, always a tradition in my family...

donna
Old December 14th, 2011, 05:49 PM
First Mate

In my family it is not ALLOWED to be Christmas until the chrusciki are made. (the middle c in that is supposed to have a little tail hanging down, not available on my keyboard). This has sometimes required a very loooong Christmas eve.

Chrusciki are a Polish cookie that must be just about the worst possible dietary item. They are made from egg yolks, sugar, and heavy cream, with just enough flour to make a dough and a bit of cinnamon for flavor. Then the dough is rolled out, cut into strips, slit in the middle and one end pulled through the slit; the resulting twist is then deep-fried. Once cooled they are sprinkled with powdered sugar.

They are a real pain to make, but one of our very few family traditions. My mother used to say that they have to be made before Christmas, and half of them given away; and if there are any left on New Year's Day, prosperity in the year is assured. She never said whether it was legal to hide a few until then.
Old December 14th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Years ago I use to make rosette cookies but gave it up because it took forever to fry and if you didn’t eat them almost right away they would stale.
Anyone ever make potato chip cookies? Here’s the not so healthy cookie recipe in case you want to try them.
1lb butter
1 c sugar
3 ˝ c flour
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups crushed potato chips

Mix butter & sugar until creamy then add the rest of the ingredients. Spoon drop on cookie sheet and bake at 350 until golden. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. This was my friend mom’s recipe.

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old December 18th, 2011, 04:45 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
also my standby Rice Pudding - I discovered this year on my Connie cruise - the Turks are big on rice pudding too - so I will tweak a few variations.

Annie

I love rice pudding. My mom would make that several times during the year.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old December 18th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have to make German Christmas cookies called Springerles...but our family always called them Springlies. My mother's family always made them, and they are VERY time consuming. The recipe is so old it uses measurements like butter the size of a walnut, and half an eggshell of milk. You mix the dough, roll it out, press designs into the dough and then cut it into squares. Then the squares are left to dry overnight and then baked the next morning. My son actually took some to school a few years ago and shared the cookies with his teacher. She liked them so much he had me make a batch - just for her! Well, she shared them with her family, and her grandmother couldn't believe she had them. Nikki's (the teacher) grandfather was stationed in Germany with the Army in the 50's, and they had a maid who made these for the family every year for Christmas. She hadn't had the cookies since then, and said they brought back a lot of good memories for her - and when I heard the story, of course I had to make another batch for her. I was thinking that was the only year I would have to make extra batches, but I was wrong. Over that summer, Nikki and her boyfriend (now husband) bought the house 2 doors down from us! I get to make extra cookies every year!!:neutral:
Old December 18th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
I love rice pudding. My mom would make that several times during the year.

TM
Manuel

The Danes are big on rice pudding too. They add almonds which I can't have because of my issue with nuts Rice pudding is so moreish and so easy to make in a slow cooker/crock pot.

Annie