Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 6th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Admiral

Default Cruising

Last night I spoke to a friend who lives in Georgia . His passion is cruising .He and his wife cruise 4 or more times a year .We discussed mutual friends who have never cruised .We can't seem to convince these people that cruising is wonderful .
How do you convince non cruisers to try and take a cruise ?
Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Admiral

We don't try to convince them.

Different strokes for different folks. Our friends are grownups, they know their own likes and dislikes, and it's not up to us to play Pied Piper.

We never suggest to non-cruisers that they take up the habit. On occasions when friends ask us about cruising, we tell them how much we enjoy it, but we're also frank about the negatives. They also know that cruising plays a part in less than half of our travels, so they realize that we're not "fanatics." They tend to value what we say and they appreciate the fact that there is balance to our views. Whether or not they wind up as cruisers, they remain friends--which is the important thing.

I always find it interesting when people here believe it is their "mission" to convert others to cruising.

Last edited by AR; January 6th, 2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old January 6th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Admiral

I think it is just natural to tell others about something you find so enjoyable & want to share it with them so they can enjoy it too. The main problems I come up against are... being stuck on a ship, the impression it's like a 50's holiday camp, & to me the one that is difficult to overcome is why go there by ship when you can fly? I try to explain that the ship IS the destination the ports are just side trips but if people don't want to see it they won't. Some people are STRONGLY against cruising, rather stick pins in their eyes.
Old January 6th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
I always find it interesting when people here believe it is their "mission" to convert others to cruising
AR... I find your tone in that statement a bit condescending.

I'm not sure why it would seem unusual or "interesting" in any way to find people who are enthusiastic about an activity (of any sort) wanting to share said activities with friends.

Whether it's a sporting event, a cultural event, an event in support of a cause, or even recommending a great restaurant you found. I think it's only natural to want to share it with friends. I'm not sure why you refer to that as a "mission to convert others"; making it sound like some sort of cult.

While "grown ups" may not think they want to cruise, they MAY be basing that perspective on invalid criteria, and misperceptions. I know that to occassionally be the case, because that was me in 1995. And, yup, at the time I was all "grown up".
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 6th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Admiral

I usually explain to non-cruisers that gluttony is my passion and drink is my habit. That will usually convince them. But then, I only hang around that kind.

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 6th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
AR... I find your tone in that statement a bit condescending.
You can find my tone anything you like, Kuki. I just react negatively when somebody asks, "How do you convince non-cruisers to try and take a cruise?" The assumption in the statement is that this is something we SHOULD do, it's just a question of how.

As I said, we are perfectly happy to tell anyone about our cruises, and how much we enjoy them. But we're not cruise evangelists, and the assumption in the OP is that everyone should be. I do not agree.

I also understand that it is your job to promote cruising whenever and wherever you can, and that you get paid in money, free cruises, or both to do that. So you naturally react negatively to statements like mine. That's fine.

But there is a difference--to use one of your examples--between telling a friend that you enjoyed a particular restaurant, and "convincing them" to go eat there. I have no problem with the former, but draw the line at the latter.

Back in 1976 when we took our first cruise, we had no preconceptions one way or the other. It was just something new to try; it sounded like fun, and we tend to have open minds when it comes to ways to see the world. It worked out well for us over the years and we say so. If others aren't interested, it's just a shoulder shrug.

If that's condescending, so be it.

Last edited by AR; January 6th, 2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old January 6th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Admiral

Wow,once again I agree with Kuki .
Old January 6th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Admiral

I like to point out what a bargain a cruise can be. You can have a nice vacation at a reasonable price.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old January 6th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I also understand that it is your job to promote cruising whenever and wherever you can, and that you get paid in money, free cruises, or both to do that. So you naturally react negatively to statements like mine. That's fine.

That's kind of funny actually. Yes, I get paid to write about cruises, but my job is not to promote anything; it's to describe it, whether it's the experience in feature articles, or Virtual Cruises, or to describe the ship in reviews.

Sort of on topic here-- my blog entry posted this past week....
Cruisemates Blog Compromise Is Necessary To Cruise – Kuki
in fact talks about how cruising is NOT the right fit for everyone.

I do however believe there are many people who's reasons for not considering a cruise are caused by misinformation and incorrect perceptions.
Old January 6th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I just react negatively when somebody asks, "How do you convince non-cruisers to try and take a cruise?" The assumption in the statement is that this is something we SHOULD do, it's just a question of how.

I think the "assumption" should be that it's someone who would like to convince a friend or family members to come along on a cruise in order to enjoy the experience together.

They're not telling people they have to go on a cruise. They are trying to get them to go on a cruise with them.

I don't think anyone is iinterested in "selling" all the people they know on cruises, except for those who sell cruises.
Old January 7th, 2012, 03:35 AM
Admiral

I, uhhhhhh, rarely use the term "assume" for rather obvious reasons. For those not cognizant of what I mean just break the word down. One runs the risk of making an "ass" out of "u" and "me." I do that enough on my own without referring to a published lexicon!
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean

Last edited by ToddDH; January 7th, 2012 at 04:01 AM.
Old January 7th, 2012, 04:29 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
We don't try to convince them.

Different strokes for different folks. Our friends are grownups, they know their own likes and dislikes, and it's not up to us to play Pied Piper.

We never suggest to non-cruisers that they take up the habit. On occasions when friends ask us about cruising, we tell them how much we enjoy it, but we're also frank about the negatives. They also know that cruising plays a part in less than half of our travels, so they realize that we're not "fanatics." They tend to value what we say and they appreciate the fact that there is balance to our views. Whether or not they wind up as cruisers, they remain friends--which is the important thing.

I always find it interesting when people here believe it is their "mission" to convert others to cruising.
AR - I agree. If folks ask about my cruises - I'll give them my thoughts. Same applies to all my vacations.

I generally don't discuss my vacations - frankly most folks are not interested. How many of us have been bored with endless photographs of other people's holidays.

Annie
Old January 7th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Wow,once again I agree with Kuki .
What IS the world coming to? I agreed with him once too AND he made me laugh once....I think.....:-))
Old January 7th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
I usually explain to non-cruisers that gluttony is my passion and drink is my habit. That will usually convince them. But then, I only hang around that kind.

Regards,
Thomas
Sad but true here too!!
Old January 7th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I do however believe there are many people who's reasons for not considering a cruise are caused by misinformation and incorrect perceptions.
Perceptions are in the eye of the beholder. On the other hand, to the extent that someone we're talking with states an incorrect fact, we will certainly point out that this is misinformation. It's the old story: you're entitled to your opinions (even if they're not based on experience), but not to your "facts" (when they're empirically wrong).

Quote:
I think the "assumption" should be that it's someone who would like to convince a friend or family members to come along on a cruise in order to enjoy the experience together.
That may be your view, but it is certainly not what the OP says or implies. It just asks how you "convince" somebody to take a cruise. It is silent on the issue of coming along on a cruise. The only valid assumption to be taken from the OP is the one I stated: that the need to convince people is a given; the only question is how to do it.
Old January 7th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Admiral

I think the reason I try to extol the virtues of cruising is BECAUSE people have the wrong idea of what it's like.
Old January 7th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I've found this to be effective.

Cruise Or I Shoot The Dog

Seriously: I go by example. I have friends and family who have never cruised and have no intention of cruising. I have other friends who have cruised and didn't like it. I will say that most of them booked inside cabins, at cheap prices, on small ships and were bored. A couple were turned off by a sense of "nickle and diming" and my oldest brother "liked" it but doesn't want to do it again. Then I also have friends and family that have cruised and love it.

We have 10 friends and family who are cruising with us in March and all are first time cruisers. My wife is completely stressed out that they won't enjoy it and feels personally responsible for their fun. I have told her that we just do what we normally do and if they don't like it then they don't like it. It's not up to us to "make" them enjoy themselves.

Cruising is great for some people and not for others. Just like any other type of vacation, activity or hobby.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 7th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Admiral

In a way, AR, Kuki's right and it happened in my family. I had always wanted to go on a cruise but Fran would have none of it. She would always say she could stay at home and be bored for far less money and take a land vacation, etc. Not only that but she was afraid of water and getting seasick. She absolutely wouldn't hear of it.

Well, it took me a long time, (admittedly she was a captive audience but she was still extremely strongly willed) but by showing her photos of what cruiseships were like and all of the activities she started to maybe some day consider the idea (if only to shut me up as I still didn't think she would ever go). Then her niece Adelaide invited us on an all expense paid 9 night cruise on RCI's Explorer of the Seas to the Eastern Caribbean.

With still admitted deep trepidation she agreed. Of course she absolutely loved the cruise, was astounded by all the activities on the ship in which she indulged with Adelaide far more than I even did (I preferred reading and just the ambience of the ship). She was so thankful she tried something that "I knew I'd never enjoy."

What this amounts to is that sometimes it takes some coaxing but if you can convince someone who ordinarily wouldn't think of it, to try cruising, the results can be far different than what that person originally envisioned.

BTW, my adored late wife was most definitely her own person (as would be the type of person to whom I believe you were referring) and as she was Italian, I knew I'd never browbeat her into cruising.
Old January 7th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Admiral

We cruised the first time in 1973 and the second time in 1994 because my wife did not like cruising . Our 3rd.cruise was in 2008 and since then we've done 4 cruises (counting the one upcoming )Now she LOVES cruising .
Old January 7th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
I like to point out what a bargain a cruise can be. You can have a nice vacation at a reasonable price.

TM
Agree...this is a good reason to give to some friends.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old January 7th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Admiral

I tell my friends to use the following as an example :

10 days of cruising =30 full meals mininum +10 shows +on board activities +the cabin .You can't beat that .
Old January 8th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Admiral

I think cruising would be far more attractive, were the cruiselines to up the fare a couple of hundred dollars and knock off all the nickel and diming. I find that as the greatest complaint. Charge, say, an extra thirty dollars a day and make all non acoholic beverages (with the possible exception of beer) available as well as all the "extra cost" restaurants inclusive. I truly believe that or a form thereof, would be most beneficial for getting first time cruisers to return. But that's just my HPO.
Old January 8th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
In a way, AR, Kuki's right and it happened in my family. I had always wanted to go on a cruise but Fran would have none of it.
I think the dynamics are (and should be) a little different when it comes to your spouse or SO. A marriage is, as you know, a lifelong negotiation. This is perfectly normal and healthy, and points may properly be "pressed" a bit more vigorously than with other relatives or with friends.

Back in the 80s Terry had to go back and forth to China a couple times on business. She came back with all sorts of stories about how fascinating it is over there, and really got me interested in seeing it. So I suggested we go over together. She said no, she'd just been there twice, and it's a hell of a schlep, yada yada. So I simply told her I was going, named the month, and said she was welcome to come along if she liked. She laughed and we both went, spent about three weeks and had a great time. That kind of thing can happen in a marriage, but in very few other relationships.

I laughed when I read Mike's post. . .his wife would have every reason to be on pins and needles if they'd strongarmed all these friends and family to come along. Playing den mother to a bunch of newbies that you've "convinced" to cruise would be daunting, to say the least. But I'm guessing that their companions are willing participants, in which case Mike's attitude is absolutely on the mark: "it is what it is, hope you enjoy it."
Old January 8th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Admiral

What we have told our friends that besides, the value of a cruise, you can be as active or inactive as you want to be. Cruising is a great way to take a vacation for those who are disabled. (I have seen plenty of walkers and motor scooters aboard the ship). Not only that it is nice just to sample a port for one day; you can always go back again and see something that you didn't see the first time. I would also mention to people, who are "skiddish about cruising" to take a "cruise to nowhere". Also, it is good to mention that ships have stablizers, which prevents a lot of the "rocking and rolling". Then, too, advancements in medication with the patch under the ear and the wristband.
Old January 8th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Last night I spoke to a friend who lives in Georgia . His passion is cruising .He and his wife cruise 4 or more times a year .We discussed mutual friends who have never cruised .We can't seem to convince these people that cruising is wonderful .
How do you convince non cruisers to try and take a cruise ?

Fill them in on why you like cruising and supply them with material on cruising and let them make their own mind up. I would also point out the pro's and con's. I would never try to convince someone to go on a cruise. Not everyone has to be a cruiser.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old January 8th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
Fill them in on why you like cruising and supply them with material on cruising and let them make their own mind up. I would also point out the pro's and con's. I would never try to convince someone to go on a cruise. Not everyone has to be a cruiser.
Very well said.

Annie
Old January 8th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
I agree with you as well.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old January 8th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Admiral

Default Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
I agree with you as well.

TM
Cruising should be mandatory .There should be an amendment to the constitution .
Old January 8th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Default Alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
I think cruising would be far more attractive, were the cruiselines to up the fare a couple of hundred dollars and knock off all the nickel and diming. I find that as the greatest complaint. Charge, say, an extra thirty dollars a day and make all non acoholic beverages (with the possible exception of beer) available as well as all the "extra cost" restaurants inclusive. I truly believe that or a form thereof, would be most beneficial for getting first time cruisers to return. But that's just my HPO.

Are there any cruises that do not allow alcohol on board ?
Old January 9th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Are there any cruises that do not allow alcohol on board ?
Are there any Starbucks stores that don't sell coffee?

Cruising has to be brutal for recovering alcoholics. Darn good thing they have those AA meetings onboard. I hope they work.

Which brings up another point that's very much on topic. Depending on how well you know the people you're trying to "convince," it's always possible that there's an underlying reason why they don't want to cruise that they're not comfortable sharing with you. Recovering alcoholics would be a good example. They may not want to cruise because they know very well that there's a bar around every corner on a ship. But they may not want to share that with you. There are other possibilities along the same lines.

Last edited by AR; January 9th, 2012 at 05:26 PM.