Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Admiral

Default Celebrity Equinox Holiday Cruise Day 5

Celebrity Equinox Holiday Cruise Day 5
Tuesday December 27, 2011 St. Kitts

For once, I was up early and caught the sunrise as we docked in St. Kitts.
Shortly afterward, the Serenade of the Seas arrived and docked across from us.

Once again, we had not planned a shore excursion, so we enjoyed a leisurely breakfast in the Ocean View Cafe, then went to the early Trivia in the Sky Lounge.
Located forward on Deck 14, the Sky Lounge was a beautiful, bright airy lounge overlooking the front of the ship, and featured beautiful purple chairs and carpeting, and entering it, you are greeted by "The Thinker" who is actually a 3D jigsaw puzzle!

It was also the home of trivia during port days.
There were not many playing on this morning, just 2 small groups of Americans vs Brits, so we joined the Brits' team. It was such a close game in points that both teams won lanyards!

Since I don't have many photos of our day in St. Kitts, I'd like to insert here, a comment about the public ladies' rooms onboard. The very first time I entered one, I thought I was in a private lounge, not a washroom. They were exquisite!

Large, bright and very classy, they featured beautiful large etched glass sinks, sparkling counters, mirrors everywhere, and real linen towels, carefully rolled and stacked for your convenience. There was almost always an attendant on duty, who wiped dry the counters after every hand washing, mopped the floors of any drips, and immediately cleaned and disinfected every toilet stall after each use.

I don't know if this attention to cleanliness cut down on the spread of any viruses, but it was certainly impressive, and just another example of Celebrity's attention to detail and service.

As we had visited St. Kitts on a previous occasion, and taken the only shore excursion that interested us (the scenic railway tour), this time we decided to get off the ship and explore a little of the port, maybe do a little shopping.
It was a good walk past the docked ships to the "entrance" of St. Kitts dock area.

Greeted by a lively steel drum band, we were suddenly assaulted from all directions by locals who wanted to take us on a tour/beach/excursion/taxi/shopping.
I don't remember on a previous visit to St. Kitts, there being so many people in town, and so many locals harassing you for your business. The main shopping area consisted mainly of jewelry and souvenir shops, and was extremely crowded.
I visited a few T-shirt shops looking for something in particular, but got tired of the crushing crowds and soon gave up.
Fed up with being constantly harassed, we decided to head back to the ship, but not before taking a souvenir photo (with the school hat) for my afterschool kids back home.

Back onboard, we were delighted to discover the main pool area practically deserted, one of the benefits of staying onboard during a port visit. We decided to park ourselves there for the afternoon, enjoying a dip in the pool and in one of the hot tubs.

It was a fairly quiet afternoon, even the ever present music was at a lower volume and less offensive than usual. We got to enjoy the sunshine for the first time in 5 days!
All Aboard was at 2:45 pm and it suddenly got crowded again, but we stayed for awhile to enjoy "B-Flat" the steel drum player who performed poolside daily. He was very good.

Feeling particularly lazy after a quiet day in the sun, we decided to "dress down" (casual) tonight and dined in the Ocean View Cafe instead of the dining room. It was not too busy, and much quieter than the dining room, and food selections were varied and delicious.

Showtime in the Equinox Theatre tonght was a Celtic musical act called LIVEWIRE.
A married couple with great talent and stage presence, Clare & Mike play elecrtric violin and electric guitar respectively, and with the backing of the Celebrity Equinox Orchestra, put on a fantastically entertaining show full of Celtic delights, ballads and show tunes, absolutely the best entertainment we saw all cruise!
Please check out their act on video, as I can't do them justice trying to describe them!

http://www.livewirecd.com/videos.html

Late evening entertainment was a 70's Dance Party in the Sky Lounge (trivia lounge in the morning, disco at night), with live band "D'Revelation". They are a great band and played great 70's music, Bee Gees included, and the disco was packed with people, many of them on the dance floor. Line dancing seemed a constant on this cruise, whether the choice was 60's, 70's or today's music. Soon, the club and the dance floor was over-run by hordes of teenagers, and it all became just too noisy and crowded so we left. (must be a sign that we are getting old!)

Back in our quiet cabin, we took advantage of the many features on our TV, enjoying a free movie. With this new system, you can choose TV shows, movies, order room service, make dinner reservations, order ship photos, and see your portfolio.

Another day ended, it was time to dream of Barbados tomorrow....

Sunset on the way to Barbados...

donna

Last edited by rollerdonna; January 14th, 2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: add photos
Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Admiral

Donna, we saw Live Wire on our first Princess cruise and Loved them. Wish I could see them again.

It could be that the locals pestered more because of fewer ships, I don't know. I know that in the last couple of years I have not seen many cruises list St Kitts as a stop.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old January 14th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Nancy, I am still loading photos on this one, so be sure to go back and check a little later....

donna
Old January 14th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Admiral

I am SO enjoying this thread as I do all of your reviews!
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old January 14th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Admiral

Thank you Todd, I am enjoying writing them!
Now working on Part 6....

donna
Old January 14th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Donna, I'm not sure if the Equinox and the Eclipse, has the same bathroom issues, While stunning in design, the amount of stalls in the bathrooms is like 3, at most. We were like, this can't be, but, oh ya, it was!!

Restrooms by the theaters/restaurants on most ships, have a good amount of stalls, and, many times, there is a line out the door. How could the architects think this was a good thing? Now, since we were on a press trip, the passenger count was drastically less, but, so many of us wondered, what would a full ship cruise be like? All the batrhrooms we visited while onboard, were scaled down as well. Some had just room for two occupants!

This was my only bad comment about the Eclipse.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 14th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Admiral

Trip, if I'm not mistaken, there were at least 4 stalls in the ladies' rooms I frequented, mostly outside the Ocean View Cafe and outside the Equinox Theatre. I never had to wait!

donna