CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Really? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/387085-really.html)

Donna January 16th, 2012 08:34 PM

Really?

Just read that the Costa ship veared off their route so one of the waiters could wave to his family?? I find this very hard to believe, but may-be?

Lakers Fan January 16th, 2012 09:10 PM

Donna

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna (Post 1410191)
Just read that the Costa ship veared off their route so one of the waiters could wave to his family?? I find this very hard to believe, but may-be?

I heard that it was the Captain who wanted to wave to a friend .

DonD January 16th, 2012 09:19 PM

Either way, he was showboating. . . :(

ruthlessboss January 17th, 2012 07:20 AM

Another article said he did something very similar in August, the mayor sent a letter of thanks!!

johnthed0g January 17th, 2012 11:08 AM

Not an uncommon practice, it was on Facebook that he was going to do it & he did!

Donna January 17th, 2012 06:58 PM

I've never heard of this practice, and I will bet now, it will certainly not be allowed under any circumstances...

Manuel January 17th, 2012 08:38 PM

It was not allowed before but he did it anyway.

TM

green_rd January 17th, 2012 09:45 PM

News reports said the head waiter

Manuel January 22nd, 2012 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd (Post 1410427)
News reports said the head waiter

I hear the same thing. Must have an important waiter. :confused: :shock:

TM

green_rd January 22nd, 2012 11:00 AM

I'm thinking maybe rather than the Head Waiter it might have been the Maitre 'd? Is there such a thing as head waiter that would have that kind of pull? The MD is a part of the ships senior staff, right?

Paul Motter January 22nd, 2012 11:35 AM

I believe the captain did it as a surprise for the head waiter - plus the captain also had a friend who lives on the island who he wanted to wave to - but then it turned out his friend wasn't there.

ruthlessboss January 22nd, 2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1411234)
I believe the captain did it as a surprise for the head waiter - plus the captain also had a friend who lives on the island who he wanted to wave to - but then it turned out his friend wasn't there.

Which was not too brilliant in the first place. Did the captain assume his friend would be available at that time, or even looking out his window? Still wierd.

Lakers Fan January 22nd, 2012 12:28 PM

Paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1411234)

Do you think there will be a public trial ?

Paul Motter January 22nd, 2012 02:20 PM

I don't know what Italian law says. wasn't that trial for the teenage girl convicted of murder mostly public?

Trip January 22nd, 2012 02:39 PM

I don't think he will live to see a trial...he will take the cowards way out, like he did on the ship.

Lakers Fan January 23rd, 2012 03:02 PM

I disagree ,Trip

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1411283)
I don't think he will live to see a trial...he will take the cowards way out, like he did on the ship.

There are going to be books ,magazine articles and possibly even movies written on the disaster .The Captain being the focal point of everything will be in great demand .

Manuel January 24th, 2012 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1411283)

He will see a trial and get a slap on the wrist.

TM

Lakers Fan January 24th, 2012 11:22 AM

I don't think he will get 15 years in jail .I think he will get 5 years probation and the proviso that he never captains another ship .

Donna January 24th, 2012 06:48 PM

Time will tell, Henry, we'll see how close you really are....interesting.

Lakers Fan January 24th, 2012 08:04 PM

Donna

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna (Post 1411689)
Time will tell, Henry, we'll see how close you really are....interesting.

Yes, we shall .

HawkeyeFLA January 24th, 2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1411623)
I don't think he will get 15 years in jail .I think he will get 5 years probation and the proviso that he never captains another ship .

With both Costa and Carnival as a whole stepping away from him and getting on the side of the prosecution as an injured party we shall see. Also with Costa ships being Italian flagged, there is a certain level of national pride here as well that I am sure will be addressed in court. Combine that with so many cruiselines having Italian officers, the Italian courts might go for the extreme to "prove a point" that they take such things very seriously.