Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2012, 04:28 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Good Saturday Morning

Good morning everyone and I hope that all are having a wonderful weekend.

Well, Betty and my romantic weekend was a complete and literal bust. On our way to dinner I slipped on ice and blew out my ACL on the same knee that is broken. It was just a quick slip. I did not fall but somehow I planted my bad leg to catch myself and felt something "pop". I thought it was the pins in the knee but, at least, they are still intact. It was one of those 1/4 second slips that you usually don't give a second thought to. Now I'll have plenty of time to think.

I was taken by ambulance to the ER and they loaded me up with narcotics, anti-inflammatories and another immobilizer brace. The diagnosis of a torn ACL is based on the symptoms and level of pain. They can't make a true diagnosis because I can't have a MRI due to my pacemaker.

I will have to get on the horn to my orthopedic surgeon this morning, around 8, and see what can be done. I hope I don't have to wait until Monday to get a course of action but seeing it's Saturday I think I'm out of luck. The pain level is bad and I can no longer walk. I need to use a wheelchair or do a butt scoot up and down the stairs. I have been confined to bed by "She Who Must Be Obeyed". She really has been a trooper through all of this and I don't know what I'd do without her. I know what she'd do without me. Have a lot less stress, that's what.

This will probably put my March 3rd cruise on Carnival Liberty in jeopardy. Good thing I have insurance but it is a family cruise with brothers, SIL, nieces, nephews and good friends and I will be pretty bummed if I can't go.

My plans for today are to stay in bed and remain in a narcotic induced haze and try to look on the bright side. It could be worse

I hope others had a much better night than I had and today's plans go off without a hitch.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2012, 08:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Oh Mike you remind me of the HeeHaw song "If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. I will quit griping about my rotator cuff, don't know if I could stand all the pain you have been going through.

Brenda
Old January 21st, 2012, 08:19 AM
Admiral

Oh Mike, how awful! The best laid plans....
I am amazed that you could put together a coherent sentence, much less a whole post this morning with all the hallucenogenic drugs you must be on!
Please stay in bed and let Betty take care of you, and get well enough for your cruise!

We had some bad weather move in yesterday just after school let out and I knew it was going to be worse by the time I drove home. I travel open highway all the way, but no street lighting at all except on the causeway. It was ZERO visibility in the blinding snow, then a complete stop and wait on the causeway. Apparently there had been an accident, backing up traffic, but it was gone by the time I passed the spot.
I must say, it is the 1st time in the 2 1/2 yrs. I've been here that I have seen a traffic jam!

Today it looks like January again, bright sunshine on even brighter snow, and it feels like January too at -16C!

I plan to stay inside and take it easy all day, as my back is giving me a hard time once again.
Tonight we are going out for dinner at our favourite Thai place in town, then to trivia at the pub. It's Name That Tune Trivia tonight, my fave! Gotta keep in practice for the next cruise!

donna p.s. cruise review final part is up....
Old January 21st, 2012, 09:07 AM
Admiral

Good morning mates. Having my quiet time before everyone gets up. The cats got me up and ate. Now they are piled up asleep again. Think the dog switched beds and is with my daughter.

Hmm, I guess I should not whine about my earache. Mike, what are we going to do with you? I hope that you can at least get a plan of action set this weekend.

Have a god day all.
Old January 21st, 2012, 09:38 AM
Admiral

Good morning from Snowville,NY
Old January 21st, 2012, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Good morning from the great state of Texas. It is a dull morning outside, but should be in the low eighties by afternoon.

Mike, I agree, what are we going to do with you? I am so sorry and hope the pain will be bareable. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

I don't have a lot planned today. Josh just left for work, and Jim is out of town hunting, so I have the house to myself.

I guess I could do nothing, and get away with it, but I think I am going to do a little housework, and then watch the game tonight. It should be a good one.

Cue the spooky music. I woke up to the sound of Happy Birthday Mom. There was no one around, so who could have said that? It's going to be a great day, because I am loved.

Have a great day all!!

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:27 AM
Captain

A suggestion for you Mike, find a padded room and stay there! ACL tears are not fun, been there done that! Hoping you get some answers from the Dr. today.
We got hit with a quick ice storm last night. There is a glaze on everything and it is so funny to watch the dogs getting on and off our deck. Temps are suppose to improve as the day goes on and be in the 50's tomorrow. I hope it gets better by 1 today as we need to attend a funeral. The sweet 93 yr old lady next door passed away so we need to go pay our respects. She was a tiny gal with a big heart and loved to garden. When we moved in here 19 yrs ago the first summer she brought me over some of her poppy plants. I am not good with flowers but planted them anyway. Every spring they come up and have beautiful blooms so I will always think of her when I see them.
Tonight we will be playing with the grandaughters so that Mom & Dad can have a night out with friends. I'm sure it will be entertaining for us.
Everyone have a good day. Prayers going out for all in need.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:22 AM
Admiral

Morning from the Pacific Northwest..........warmer.....still some snow.....but 40 right now......I'll take it......

Mike.........want me to make ya a padded suit?????? Hope ya get to go on your cruise........

Luanne............I know what ya mean......been there....heard that.......... Thinking of ya.......

Not much going on.......hopefully we can get out of the house this weekend......I'm tired of being stuck here......

Y'all have a good day.........

Sharon

Old January 21st, 2012, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Default Good Saturday Morning

Good rainy morning. It's pouring and that's not a complaint. We need the rain badly.

And speaking of rain, Mike, when it rains it pours! I surely do hope the orthopedist can find a solution for you that lets you keep your cruise.

Keith went of to Riverside, weather or no. I always fuss when he does that. He just got an email from a couple of guys who are staying home today because of the weather.

Luanne, I'm alone, too, and also plan to do some house work. This afternoon, I will fix beef stew.

Have a good day, everybody.

Judy
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:37 AM
Admiral

Mike, so sorry to hear about your "mishap". May you be "on the mend" as quickly as possible. Rob had a "mishap" about a year ago and tore the meniscus, (not sure of spelling) when he fell off of his bike. He is supposed to have it operated on this coming Friday. Right now he is nursing bronchitis and hopefully, he will be well enough by Friday to have the surgery. Meanwhile, I stopped at Walgreens to see what was left of holiday items. I made out like "pay dirt". I bought all of the remaining Chanukah wrapping paper, which was originally $3.00 a roll now reduced to $.25 a roll. I won't have to buy Chanukah wrapping paper for a long, long, time! Right now it is pouring in Virginia Beach but, at least, we do not have snow! Make it a great day, fellow cruisemates.
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids
The snow is wimpering down,and I stayed home from work for this????

After reading Mike's post, I am not going to complain about a thing. You poor guy.Enough is really enough
I hope you will be as comfortable as possible, till Monday if not, head for the ER.

So, today I may read & bead.!

Make it a good one.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 21st, 2012, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Hi All

I've been keeping an eye on RD's Equinox postings, and it's been good to check in to see what old friends are up to around chit chat too. EXCEPT for MIKE! Mike I am so sorry to hear about your latest fall. Your body must be like that of the 6 million dollar man. Sure hope you can get some help even though it is the weekend.

We are really looking forward to our March cruise on the Equinox. After reading RD's report, I am wishing we had done the spa class rooms, but it will be fun anyway. I have been having trouble with the one kidney and plumbing that I have left, so I spent New Years in the hospital and few days after that. Had another visit this week, but things look hopeful.

Happy Birthday Luanne. I loved reading your news this morning!

Phyll
Old January 21st, 2012, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Well, that does it Phyl, we need to hear from you more often....you are so missed, and, I sure hope you will be fit as a fiddle soon, and, for your cruise.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxo

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 21st, 2012, 01:37 PM
Admiral

I'm with Trip. I hope that you are feeling fine for your cruise.
Old January 21st, 2012, 02:33 PM
First Mate

Mike, you made me feel actually..well..lucky today. Here I was feeling sorry for myself because i broke my baby toe last night. ha!! That is nothing compared to what u are dealing with!! Sure hope you are well enough to make that cruise!! Best Wishes
Old January 21st, 2012, 02:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorklr45 View Post
Mike, you made me feel actually..well..lucky today. Here I was feeling sorry for myself because i broke my baby toe last night. ha!! That is nothing compared to what u are dealing with!! Sure hope you are well enough to make that cruise!! Best Wishes

Sorry about the toe.
Old January 21st, 2012, 03:20 PM
Admiral

Good afternoon from Sunny Florida.

Mike you have to take it easy and get in shape for your next cruise.

Luanne have a special day.

And I wish everyone a nice weekend.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:23 PM
First Mate

Thanks Moiraine, I'm taking it easy today..Hope you are too.