Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 30th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default British Couple Sent Home by DHS for Tweeting

British tourists arrested in America on terror charges over Twitter jokes | Mail Online

This article explains how two British kids (about 20 years old) were denied entrance to U.S. for "tweeting" a couple of messages...

'Free this week, for quick gossip/prep before I go and destroy America'.

'3 weeks today, we're totally in LA p****** people off on Hollywood Blvd and diggin' Marilyn Monroe up!

In the first one "destroy" is British slang for "partying", and the second is a direct quote frim the TV show "Family Guy"

Two British tourists were barred from entering America after joking on Twitter that they were going to 'destroy America' and 'dig up Marilyn Monroe'.

Leigh Van Bryan, 26, was handcuffed and kept under armed guard in a cell with Mexican drug dealers for 12 hours after landing in Los Angeles with pal Emily Bunting.

The Department of Homeland Security flagged him as a potential threat.

I guess the DHS didn't get the message about Obama trying to make it easier for tourists to visit the U.S. They jailed the couple for 12 hours and then sent them back to London. This is all over the British press... makes us look pretty ridiculous when you can now go anywhere in the European Union without even a passport check.

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Those people need some common sense.

You don't joke joke about destroying America...

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old January 30th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
Those people need some common sense.

You don't joke joke about destroying America...

TM
You may when you don't know big brother is watching your private jokes. This is a ridiculous situation when you think about the 9/11 perps & what they got up to without being sussed...no sense of humour, what on earth did they think two kids were going to do.
Years ago a British satirist answered the question "do you intend to overthrow the USA by force of arms" with "sole purpose of visit" I think my ESTA asked if was a terrorist.
Old January 30th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I guess it shows that times have changed. Europe did not have a 9/11, so they might not be checking twitter like this country is, or maybe they are, and the people there do not realize it.

I hate like all of you that this kind of thing is going on, but it is time for everyone to realize that what you type, the world can read, and if it pretains to wrong doing in the states, it might be understood as something other than what you intended.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old January 30th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I think the point (rather scary actually) is that this was on Twitter - not while they were in line for Customs - but before they left home.

This is purely punitive - and just a plain STUPID move by Homeland Security.

So, what did they show?

(1) that they are monitoring Twitter to look for threats to the U.S. - OK, they just tipped their hand there so you might as well scrap that program since no radical will ever tweet anything he plans to do ever again - even as a joke.

(2) They once again showed that DHS has a paranoid, Big Brother mentality when it comes to law-abiding visitors. If you don't know, the U.S. has had this reputation for a long time, which is why our tourism business is not nearly what it should be. These are the kinds of stories that keep Europeans from wanting to visit the U.S.

Old January 30th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Default Daily Mail - so right wing they are a joke.

Paul

Because the article appeared under the Daily Mail banner, I would not worry about how DHS appears in the British Press.

Sorry I have no sympathy for this pair - I am surprised they were allowed on the plane.

Luanne - your remark re Europe did not have 9/11 is a bit off - JMHO-; we lost European nationals in that atrocity.
We have lived with terrorism for many years - I was in the vicinity of Harrods when the bomb went off ; Madrid has had bombings and let us not forget the UK has lived with Irish terrorism for centuries. The list goes on and on......

Anyway back to point, the young pair were idiots and it just shows the danger of tweeting.

Would the DHS stance stop me from visiting USA - no.

Annie
Old January 30th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Oh Annie I am sorry, I did not mean that Europeans didn't suffer. What I meant was that it did not happen in Europe.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old January 30th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Admiral

Default No worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
Oh Annie I am sorry, I did not mean that Europeans didn't suffer. What I meant was that it did not happen in Europe.
Luanne - no worries.

Europe has certainly not had an incident the scale of 9/11 but unfortunately has had to sustain lots of minor terrorist incidents - just like the rest of the world unfortunately.

When will we learn?

BTW I do take Paul and JTD's point, however, that if you were serious about anything you certainly would not tweet it.

Sorry, I still don't feel sorry for the pair but I am curious, did they tweet before or after the ESTA was issued? Why was the ESTA not withdrawn before they travelled?

Annie
Old January 30th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Admiral

Tweeting should be left to canaries .
Old January 30th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Admiral

Default Very well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Tweeting should be left to canaries .
You can tell I am not a fan.

Annie
Old January 30th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Admiral

Don't know if this has been mentioned but the UK has had the "bit of unpleasantness'' with the IRA for quite a while, Spain has ETA, Germany the Bader wotsits we all have the mad Muslims thing....this sort of thing is everywhere.
Old January 30th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Admiral

People need to grow up and be responsible for their actions.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old January 30th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Yes - but I still say freedom of speech is an American right, and it applies to foreigners on American soil just as much as it does to American citizens.

These were kids joking - there is no eveidence at all they planned to "destroy America" - (that is a plain ridiculous concept, anyway).

Nor was there any evidence they really planned to dig up Marilyn Monroe.

This would be like Great Britain refusing entry to Americans because we have a holiday called the Fourth of July where we celebrate killing Britons. Anyone who ever said "I have a really powerful M80 (a large firecracker) to set off this 4th" should be deemed far more dangerous than this pair. That is a real, deadly explosive a person planned to set of to represent a political movement against Britain.

In other words - it's ridiculous, and I don't think the "thought police" have any business monitoring Twitter.

Also, I am not a fan of Twitter at all either, which just makes me madder at such a petty use of government resources.

Old February 4th, 2012, 02:54 PM
First Mate

Even though I was born in America and carry a US Passport, I am treated like a criminal on the very rare occasions I enter the USA. I will only go to the USA if I must go on business.

After spending quite a bit of time in East Germany in the 1960s and 1970s, America today has the same mentality.
Old February 4th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Admiral

Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
Even though I was born in America and carry a US Passport, I am treated like a criminal on the very rare occasions I enter the USA. I will only go to the USA if I must go on business.

After spending quite a bit of time in East Germany in the 1960s and 1970s, America today has the same mentality.

What country do you reside in ?
Old February 4th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I am with you Henry, leave tweeting to the birds...

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 4th, 2012, 05:22 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
What country do you reside in ?
50% Malta / 50% Sweden
Old February 4th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Default Very interesting as Arte Johnson would say

Quote:
50% Malta / 50% Sweden

In all my decades of living on this earth I've never known anyone who lived in either place .

I just saw a photo of you from 1984 .I believe we may have been "separated at birth."

Last edited by Lakers Fan; February 4th, 2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old February 4th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:

I was not born here, and I have travelled quite a bit and never did I have any trouble getting in or out of the USA.

I love the USA and for those don't, there are many other countries to live in.

TM

Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011