CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Brit missing apparently overboard - Allure of the Seas (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/387463-brit-missing-apparently-overboard-allure-seas.html)

anniegb February 3rd, 2012 04:18 PM

Brit missing apparently overboard - Allure of the Seas

Is it just me or are we having a spate of incidents just now ?

Search launched for cruise Briton - Yahoo!

Allure of the Seas and a Brit.

Annie

nlb1050 February 3rd, 2012 04:33 PM

I think that the press is watching what happens on cruises more right now.

I read elsewhere that this man actually jumped and not just a fall. And that even before checking surveillance cameras they did search of the ship but supposedly did not try to stop and put out a life boat, but they did have people checking behind the ship for him.

If this is the case then you know the press will be all over it.

aerospace February 4th, 2012 10:33 AM

I read an article on that this morning, got me a bit paraniod about leaning over the railings. I wonder if there is a cheap/lightweight/waterproof strobe light keychain or something you could clip to a belt loop for a bit of peace of mind in the off chance you fell over.

Mike M February 4th, 2012 11:06 AM

People do not fall off cruise ships.

You have to be seven feet tall or do something pretty dumb to fall over a railing.

Yes: If you lean over REALLY FAR or get up on a chair to get a better look then you could "fall" overboard.

People who "fall" off cruise ships are either doing something they aren't supposed to be doing or they jump.

I'm sorry for those who have gone over but they weren't standing by the railing and suddenly they slipped and were flung overboard.

I'm just waiting for the day they enclose the balconies with chain link fencing to prevent the abuse.

Take care,
Mike

aerospace February 4th, 2012 01:11 PM

Seems like they could simply raise the railing higher, even Shaq can't fall over a 5' railing.

johnthed0g February 4th, 2012 01:50 PM

We lost someone from P&O Oceana once, "fell over" the balcony, two options, fell or pushed, the courts said "fell". She was fished out dead within about 40 minutes, we were about an hour from home port.

Ron February 4th, 2012 11:52 PM

I agree with Mike-- You don't " fall " off a ship unless you're doing something stupid like climbing on the rail, sitting on the rail , etc.
As far as raising the height of the rail, why not just go ahead and enclose the entire ship in a cocoon of plexiglass --that way no one could get out to go over the side. But then, someone would worm their way into the engine room and get killed or injured and blame it on the cruise line.
I'm not a hard hearted person--I'm kind to kids, animals and old folks but if someone is dumb enough or such a danger to himself as to " fall " off a cruise ship, I'd much rather he do it there than be on the highway or in public somewhere where he may take innocent people with him / her.

Spartan kent February 5th, 2012 04:15 AM

He must have climbed the rails you don't just fall off a cruise ship.
The other thing that he could have been doing is planking, it's a silly craze were they lay on an object at attention for a picture.

Warum February 5th, 2012 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerospace (Post 1413537)
I read an article on that this morning, got me a bit paraniod about leaning over the railings. I wonder if there is a cheap/lightweight/waterproof strobe light keychain or something you could clip to a belt loop for a bit of peace of mind in the off chance you fell over.

please, you don't 'fall' off a cruise ship ......