Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 3rd, 2012, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Default Brit missing apparently overboard - Allure of the Seas

Is it just me or are we having a spate of incidents just now ?

Search launched for cruise Briton - Yahoo!

Allure of the Seas and a Brit.

Annie
Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2012, 04:33 PM
Admiral

I think that the press is watching what happens on cruises more right now.

I read elsewhere that this man actually jumped and not just a fall. And that even before checking surveillance cameras they did search of the ship but supposedly did not try to stop and put out a life boat, but they did have people checking behind the ship for him.

If this is the case then you know the press will be all over it.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old February 4th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Captain

I read an article on that this morning, got me a bit paraniod about leaning over the railings. I wonder if there is a cheap/lightweight/waterproof strobe light keychain or something you could clip to a belt loop for a bit of peace of mind in the off chance you fell over.
Old February 4th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Administrator
Admiral

People do not fall off cruise ships.

You have to be seven feet tall or do something pretty dumb to fall over a railing.

Yes: If you lean over REALLY FAR or get up on a chair to get a better look then you could "fall" overboard.

People who "fall" off cruise ships are either doing something they aren't supposed to be doing or they jump.

I'm sorry for those who have gone over but they weren't standing by the railing and suddenly they slipped and were flung overboard.

I'm just waiting for the day they enclose the balconies with chain link fencing to prevent the abuse.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 4th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Captain

Seems like they could simply raise the railing higher, even Shaq can't fall over a 5' railing.
Old February 4th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Admiral

We lost someone from P&O Oceana once, "fell over" the balcony, two options, fell or pushed, the courts said "fell". She was fished out dead within about 40 minutes, we were about an hour from home port.
Old February 4th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Admiral

I agree with Mike-- You don't " fall " off a ship unless you're doing something stupid like climbing on the rail, sitting on the rail , etc.
As far as raising the height of the rail, why not just go ahead and enclose the entire ship in a cocoon of plexiglass --that way no one could get out to go over the side. But then, someone would worm their way into the engine room and get killed or injured and blame it on the cruise line.
I'm not a hard hearted person--I'm kind to kids, animals and old folks but if someone is dumb enough or such a danger to himself as to " fall " off a cruise ship, I'd much rather he do it there than be on the highway or in public somewhere where he may take innocent people with him / her.
Old February 5th, 2012, 04:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

He must have climbed the rails you don't just fall off a cruise ship.
The other thing that he could have been doing is planking, it's a silly craze were they lay on an object at attention for a picture.
Old February 5th, 2012, 05:05 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospace View Post
I read an article on that this morning, got me a bit paraniod about leaning over the railings. I wonder if there is a cheap/lightweight/waterproof strobe light keychain or something you could clip to a belt loop for a bit of peace of mind in the off chance you fell over.
please, you don't 'fall' off a cruise ship ......

ready to go, - anytime....

P.S.

Thanking all of you terrific potential cruise mates for your interest in my upcoming Celebrity Solstice Transatlantic sailing and other future cabin-share sailings.

I am now all set, looking forward to enjoy a well priced starboard balcony in hopefully fair weathers and have no new plans until November 2012 at the earliest.

Until then, wishing all of u fair winds and smooth sailings.