Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2012, 05:05 PM
First Mate

Default A Few Safe Places In Mexico

I know this is somewhat off-cruise topic. However, there were some on my last cruise who were not comfortable getting off the ship anywhere in Mexico because of the recent escalating violence and issues with drugs/gang warfare over there.

I am very familiar with the BORDER town of Progreso, Mexico (about 60 miles from the very violent Reynosa) and have found it to be incredibly safe. Fortunately for me, I don't live very far from it. I travel there several times a year just for the day for shopping and lunch with friends..Usually to get discounts on glassware and pharmacy items. All of the other Texas/Mexico border towns have become too violent to visit. Strangely, there is another Progreso, Mexico that is a cruise port location (unlike it's dusty bordertown sister of the same name). I was talking to some Mexican passengers on board who advised me that they did not consider the oceanside Progreso as being safe. Hence, they would not be exiting the ship for this port. These people were born and raised in Mexico. I trusted their judgement and stayed on ship..especially considering I was cruising solo.

I think we all know that the Yucatan Peninsula is relatively safe. Further, I have gone to Cozumel alone and walked the streets on several occasions late at night without a care in the world. Always felt very safe. The only thing u have to watch out for here are the men..They can be quite the lotharios!

Are there other places you have been to recently in Mexico where you have felt very safe? Has anyone been to the oceanside town of Progreso, Mx and have an opinion??
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Admiral

I have never been to Mexico ,however , a friend of mine travels there several times a year ,primarily to a city that has the largest amount of American expatriates living there .I cannot recall the name but I believe it begins with the letter X .
Old February 12th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I have been to Los Cabos/Cabo San Lucas area twice in the last year and found it to be quite safe from my perspective.

There are places in every city where unfamiliar people should stay away from. The best way to know what places aren't good for tourists or unfamiliars is to ask a local cab driver.

I would not go to places like Juarez or across the boarder from Brownsville but I would have no problem going to anywhere in the Yucatan, Cabo or Xihuateneo/Ixtapa (sp?)

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 12th, 2012, 08:29 AM
First Mate

My Dad is married to a Mexican (now she is a US Citizen as well). They have a beach home and one in Hermosillo (the capitol of the state of Sonora). They go down about once a month and do a lot of driving through all different areas and have NEVER run into a problem.

I have been to the Mexican Riviera on cruises twice and to Ensenada one since all the trouble and had no issues at all.

I think the key is to just do your thing and mind your own business. They are at war with each other, not us. The American's that have been involved were just at the wrong place at the wrong time. IMO.

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Carnival Elation 11/02/2009
Carnival Pride 04/24/2006
Carnival Pride 05/23/2004
Carnival Elation (I think) 1999
Old February 12th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Admiral

We’ll be in Playa del Carmen right after Christmas and be there for the New Year, I feel pretty safe there. People can see what places have travel advisories; I know Acapulco and the outskirts of Puerto Vallarta have warnings as well as the regular hot spots.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old February 12th, 2012, 02:43 PM
First Mate

Thank you for your thoughtful replies...I do know the Mexican government goes to additional lengths to protect tourist areas of Mexico (especially the prized Yucatan Peninsula). The one border town I go to (Progreso) now has a strong Mexican army presence (including an army tank)... which is there primarily for the protection of tourists. I just hope that this war over there does not spill over into what I feel is our last safe border town (Progreso, Mx). I used to go to the Texas/Mexico border towns of Acuna and Nuevo Laredo but both of those are too dangerous now.

Aerogirl, you are just all over the place and I love Playa Del Carmen!!

Mike, just as a side note - there have been recent advisories in the Ixtapa/Mazatlan area. There is a lot of "activity" going on just outside those resort areas...Not in a good way. I used to love going there too. Cabo is still super safe.

Hope everyone is having a peaceful, happy weekend!!
Old February 12th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

There was a travel advisory again this week, and people need to just be aware. One odd thing about the port of Progresso.....I had to stay onboard, as that cruise was shortly after I had a major operation,and walking the length, of that long pier was not doable,and while on board we were inundated with flies!!!

A friend onboard took the bus to Merida,and began a life long love affair, with this beautiful colonial city.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; February 12th, 2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old February 12th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Admiral

There are two parts to this equation:

Perception: That which we are told by the 24 hour news cycle

Reality: (The actual risk on the ground as viewed by those living in Mexico)

I have lived in Patzcuaro Mexico for 19 months. I have visited and driven through many parts of the country during that time. I am currently in my hotel room in Zihuatanejo. I have found Mexico to be very safe in every part of the country, to which I have visited.

The only shots I see are shots of tequila and lots of cameras clicking (snap) shots of the great beauty and charm of this great country with a very warm heart and culture unrivaled in the Americas.

Come and see for yourself. The only serious danger in Mexico is the drivers of automobiles that unfortunately have very little training. (or so it seems to me...)
Old February 14th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

My guess is that the only "turistas" who get into trouble down there are probably associating with people they shouldn't be with.

Also - Yucatan and most of the Baja have been deemed safe - Cozumel is an island, and Cabo is 700 miles of solid desert away from the board and the mainland state of Sinaloa - one of the most dangerous parts of Mexico.

The gangs of Mexico are known as "the mountain people" - they live in the highlands that are an extension of our Rocky Mountains. They go all the way down - but they are mostly a few hundred miles from the coast.

There have been incidents where tourists have been caught up in a few bad things. It is a shame the country is so corrupt that these drug gangs can exist with so much power. It is like prohibition here in America.
Old February 26th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
My guess is that the only "turistas" who get into trouble down there are probably associating with people they shouldn't be with.
(CNN) -- Twenty-two Carnival Cruise Lines passengers were robbed of valuables and their passports during a shore excursion in the Mexico seaside resort of Puerto Vallarta, cruise officials said late Saturday.

And so it goes.
Old February 26th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Yup...

That robbery is a real game changer. Of course, pointing out that exactly the same style of bus raids have happened in Jamaica and Nassau before won't make any difference. Mexico has to live up to a higher standard.