Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Admiral

Default How to control your kid's Facebook postings

Just saw on the news something that had me falling off my chair laughing.

Evidently a young teen age girl's parents found out she had written really vitiolic uncalled for stuff about her parents at whom she was obviously mad along with adults in general.

Well, her parents found out and what follows is allegedly going viral on the internet. It begins with Dad wearing his stetson sitting in a chair in a field reading a letter to his daughter explaining how she had disrepected not only her parents but every adult she had ever known (one of her complaints was that they made her, ("Pick up "their s _ _ _!"), etc.

Then he points his camera at her laptop and tells her "Yes, it's your laptop and it's on the ground." Then he pulls out his gun and says, "This is my forty-five." He then thumbs back the hammer and fires a round into the laptop. Then he repeats the process eight more times.

Did law enforcement pay him a visit? They certainly did! They only said two words, "Thank-You!"

Betcha' she's careful concerning her future writing about her parents and other adults.

To me, that falls under the old adage, "There is a God afterall!"
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Jim laughed at this, but it deeply troubled me. That will stay in the internet world for the rest of her life. Teenage girls have a hard enough time, without the world knowing.

She needs help, and her dad.... well he needs his guns taken away, and forced into parenting classes.

20 years later... Her son or daughter hears someone talking about what happened. They Google it, and guess what Grandpa looks like a loon.

I am all about gun ownership, but you expect people to act responsibly.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old February 14th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Admiral

You're probably right Luanne because you are a teacher. I was, however, raised old school. The way my father used to discipline me would probably get him 8 to 10 today in a state crossbar hotel, yet I think I turned out okay...................well............sorta' anyway.

One of the best and without a doubt the funniest routines I ever heard was by Bill Cosby being a parent, especially when he'd walk through the door after hard day's work and the first words out of his wife's mouth were, "Whip the children!" I swear Luanne, it's like was Cosby hiding in our closet at the time writing all this down?

Love you!
Old February 15th, 2012, 03:21 AM
Captain

that video smells of a set up

So you thought YOU were having a bad day???
Old February 15th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Love you too, Todd
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old February 15th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I saw that video and I can understand the father's point of view and I can't fault him for "stating" his side of the story.

But the more I watched the more "uncomfortable" I became. There is more going on here than just the teenage angst, rebellion and laziness of the daughter and much more than the frustration of a parent. This was long before he took out the 1911 and put six or so shots into the laptop. They have some deep rooted issues that need resolution.

He is supposed to be an IT professional. Putting six rounds into a laptop will disable it but if he truly knew what he was doing there are many other ways to disable the laptop without destroying it. He went over line as a parent, gun owner and IT professional.

Discipline is definitely lacking in many families and many kids are just plain spoiled. I probably laid a hand on the kids three times in their lives but they always had a level of respect and a level of fear for me. They also have a strong love. My parenting philosophy was to instill 90% love and 10% total fear of death. Even to this day my daughter knows that when she sees "The look" it's time to be quiet.

Overall, a very sad video.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 15th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Admiral

Mike,

I never saw the entire video, just two snippets of it and what the news anchor said. I also can't imagine an IT professional especially doing that to a laptop but of course they didn't say what he did for a living.

But to be perfectly honest, the way it was edited for the news, I just took it for what it was worth and didn't bother to look any deeper or analyze it.

Also I didn't count the shots, just went with what the news guy said but it certainly looked like a 1911 to me as well from what I could see of the gun. I found myself wondering how he got nine rounds out of a seven round weapon, eventually figuring it was something approximating a 1911.
Old February 15th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Exclamation Bang!

. Loved this video.

Interestingly, YouTube and several other sides have removed it. There is a notice that it violates copyrights of the Warner Co. and The Ellen Show.

I would infer from that the truth of the idea it is a setup.

Nevertheless I like the idea.

Now there is a video supposed to be a "response" from the daughter involved. It is so funny as to be almost ludicrous, and clearly a total fantasy.

I think the whole thing belongs in the category of that famous video showing the cubicle occupant throwing his computer out the window. A created fantasy showing somebody doing what a lot of us would really like to do.

;o)

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html