Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2012, 04:32 AM
Admiral

Default It's Saturday

Morning mates. I won't say good because it's not so far. Dad has some congestion and won't sit up to cough it out. He just wants me to stay up all night with him.

Got his blood test results yesterday morning. His sodium is a bit low. I'll have to figure out a way to get more salt in his diet. His doctor approved an increase in his megace, which will help him eat. I hope.

My brother brought my mother down to visit yesterday. My dad has lived with me for almost 13 months. This is only her second visit. It went much better than the first one. I wondered how it would go but she behaved. I guess she had missed us both enough that she was willing to behave.

I had plans for housework today but I may be sleeping. It all depends on how late dad and I are up. Of course, he may keep me up and I may not get to sleep at all. I don't know.

Anyway, I hope you all have a good day.
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2012, 06:49 AM
Admiral

I'm so sorry Moiraine. It truly distresses me the physical and mental exhaustion not to mention helplessness which you must truly find yourself. Please understand your commitment does make all the difference in your father's quality of life. I just wish you could get some help from some organization or somebody!

Very long day on tap for yours truly. It will commence around 9:00 am and I won't get home until possibly as late as 1:30 am tomorrow. Kari's Heart Foundation starts cranking up for the season today with the first of it's qualifying trials to end in a showcase of area talent at the opulent Paramount Theatre in Bristol, TN.

For those unfamiliar, it's known as Tri-Cities Got Talent which (incompasses Johnson City-Kingsport and Bristol and which was started almost three years ago now by my good friend and cardiologist Jeff Schoondyke and his wife Jennifer. It's closely affiliated with America's Got Talent in that there is a network representative always present to insure all of the rules are being followed. The ultimate winner at the Paramount goes to Atlanta and instead of waiting in those gawdawful lines, are ushered straight in for their audition not to mention the trip itself is well funded by the organization. We make our money through $50 audition fees for each person or group and ticket sales to the public.

Best part is that it's the organization's intent to cover or at least significantly defer the cost of travel for families of desperately ill children who most need them at their side but ordinarily wouldn't have a ghost of a chance of being there. One other thing of which I'm so proud is that there is absolutely no paid staff. Every single one of the literally dozens involved are all volunteers.

We're expanding this year into my county and my contribution was helping to obtain the outstandingly best theatre venue in the county at a cost to the organization that amounts to peanuts if even that. Trouble is, I'll miss that one as I'll be returning from the Ray and Todd Show on the Epic.

Hope everyone has a marvelous weekend and you get some very much needed rest, Moiraine.

You guys sure won't hear from me early tomorrow unless I post BEFORE I go to bed! :-)
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old February 25th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Admiral

Good Saturday morning all...Moiraine, I agree with Todd, I wish you could get some help with your dad, it sounds like a hard life, and you have to take care of yourself too...
Todd, you take it easy today, you are not in the best of health either, don't over-do it! You have to be in great shape for the Ray & Todd show!

I cannot wait to see pictures of that cruise, especially one of little Ray standing next to giant Todd! You guys are gonna have so much fun!

We are again having bizarre weather....I was awake all night listening to freezing rain and high winds bashing our house (it literally shakes from the wind). Right now, it's stopped and sun is out, but we are supposed to get snow too. I'm staying inside today, maybe start looking at what I want to take on our cruise....
Whatever I choose, it will have to be ironed...

donna
Old February 25th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

Moiraine you are indeed the best caregiver for your dad but you will need some help. You need to take care of yourself too. Maybe you can get some cat naps today.

Todd have fun and don't forget to rest.

RD your weather is something I don't think I could handle. Sorry about the ironing, I am still not allowed to do that (not that I like doing it).

Hope all are feeling better today.

Brenda
Old February 25th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning everyone:

It is a nice crisp morning but "Snowmageddon II, This time it's personal." never materialized and we have clear skies but only +11F. It's supposed to get around 30 so it shouldn't be too bad.

Today we will be going out to dinner with my best buddy and his wife. Yesterday was his birthday and we are going out to celebrate.

Yesterday I got my "Pre-Cruise Fashion Show" from Betty. She showed me a couple of new outfits she bought and I had to give my thumbs up or thumbs down and she then tried on her older stuff to make sure it still fit. She was ecstatic when a dress that didn't fit for last June's cruise now does. I'll do my "Fashion Show" somewhere around Thursday and we'll leave on Friday.

Moraine: I hope you get a bit of rest and that your dad's respiratory problems go away.

Todd: Enjoy the day

Donna: Iron??????? Didn't you know wrinkles are the new fashion trend. At least for me.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Saturday and a great weekend.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 25th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Admiral

Mike: yeah, iron....when your summer stuff is stored in a Rubbermaid tote from Oct. till June, if you take something out in the meantime, it needs to be ironed....not to mention that I still have not ironed what I washed when I returned from our New Years cruise, so you see, I don't iron very often!

donna
Old February 25th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Good morning everyone from a cold Texas. It is below freezing, which is not good for all the trees that have bloomed.

Today, the first of my new furniture arrives. The kid down the street is taking our old stuff. Hopefully the rest of the stuff will be here next week sometime.

Speaking of next week. This is the wedding for one of Joe's best friends. His dad and Jim are best friends, and the groom grew up in my house, as well as his home next door.

The grooms party is tonight. I was shocked at the plans, but didn't say much, as I know they are all good guys, and need to have some fun. I said I didn't say much, but the grooms best man's wife had a fit. Now Jim and Josh are waiting on the new plans for tonight.

Moiraine, I am worried about you. You can only do so much for your dad, before you have to reach out for help. I have a feeling your dad would want you to take care of yourself.

Todd, Sounds like you are going to be busy. Remember your limitations.

Well, I guess I had better get started.

I hope all of you have a good day.

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old February 25th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Good morning
Cold and snow on the ground snapped me out of my "spring fever" mode.

I'm ready to move to Florida as soon as D/S graduates from high school. D/H and I have been looking online at homes in The Villages in FL, looks like something right up our alley. Oh well we have a few years before that can take place.

Looking forward to Sunday, first brunch then a 1 hour massage, maybe a steam followed by an Academy Award sleepover get-together with my BFF.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old February 25th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Good morning from Sunny Florida.

Moiraine, I wish that I could be there to give you some help.

I am doing well, my son has been here for a couple of days and it certainly is nice to have him down here.
He goes back to Ct. on monday and we are flying up there on thursday for three week stay.

I wish you all a nice day.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old February 25th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Morning from the Pacific Northwest............wet & windy.......

Not much happening here.....just tryin to stay dry & not blown away.........

Y'all have a good day.........

Sharon
Old February 25th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Admiral

Hello again guys. Thanks for the concern. I managed a nap this morning. I've got help today. I had to bring my daughter in from her girls night out to help me get her grandfather to bed last night. Sometimes my daughter or her dad is here to lend a hand...but I am the main caregiver.

Actually, I am going to be talking to a friend who works as a nurse in a nursing home about how to transfer him and work with him as he gets weaker. I hope that will happen soon.

Right now he is weak because of his sodium. We had a caregiver...who was a theif...which makes me not want another one.
Old February 25th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Admiral

The weather came back to "reality" today in Virginia Beach where it is down to the mid 40's after hitting the high 70's, yesterday. Moiraine, the hardest job in the world is to be a "caregiver". My thoughts are for you and your father. It is so hard to see a parent, not as they were, but as they are now. This morning I used a $10 certificate from Kohls and bought some more food storage containers. Then it was off to Target to use a $10 gift certificate that I had won at work last night. That certificate when toward food. Rob rose early this morning and went to the opthomologist; he has an eye infection which is causing a lot of pain. Hope that all my cruismate friends have a great day!
Old February 25th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Default It's Saturday

Good morning. Nice and sunny but noisy next door. I might take myself to my favorite shopping mall just for some peace and quiet.

Keith has long since gone to Riverside.

Moiraine, I think about you a lot, too. It would be so much better for you if your dad could be in a care facility. My mother has been in one for about four years now and is happy there.

I need some breakfast, some coffee, and my meds.

Have a good day, everybody.

Judy
Old February 25th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Admiral

Thank you Judy. We tried the nursing home with dad. My mom placed him in one and he did not do well. He became so depressed that he wanted to died. They put him on antidepressants but he still did not do well. He lost a ton of weight...like 17 pounds one month, 14 the next, etc. He was in there from mid September to January 31. The social worker there asked my mom to take him back home for his own welfare but she refused. My brother could not take him. I had to move to a bigger place in order to take him, so that was the reason for the delay. I know he may have to go to one at some point, but I also know what will happen if he does. I'll hang on as long as I can. This will be over and I'll have a life again some day. I'll get through it.
Old February 25th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 25th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Good afternoon from warm and sunnyville .
Old February 25th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Trip

thanks for that link....Just saw it, read the description and ordered. Its going to be my "while I am on the plane white knucle read".
Thanks!!!
Old February 25th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Nu, I have posted a list of mysteries set on cruiseships, if you'd like,as I see you are a brand new Cruisemate, I will post it under the, Kindle,Book thread..let me know....bty..welcome

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 26th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Thanks Trip!!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000