Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Default Tonight:The Oscars

My Picks:

Best Picture:The Artist

Best Actor:Jean Dujardin

Best Actress:Viola Davis
Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

It is on TV but veryy boring.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old February 27th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
It is on TV but veryy boring.
I agree 100% Luanne. Just lots of overpaid actors, all patting themselves, and each other on the back for what a good job they do.
Old February 27th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I will have to see the ARtist, was hoping the Help would win best picture...

Hey, Henry, 2 out of 3, not bad.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 27th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I thought it was the least boring show, in many years. Loved that Octavia won,and wished Viola won too, but, it was Meryl's year. I enjoyed it.

Some stunning gowns,lots of black & white, peppered with brilliant hues!

Billy brought back some fun.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 27th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I guess I am just out of touch. Maybe it has something to do with the world around me. Rich people getting a little nude man
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Rich people giving each other statues? What a surprise. Goodness, I never expected that! I thought it was going to be a panel discussion about the oil shortage.

History tell us that motion pictures have, in balance, been a deeply appreciated part of the fabric of our nation almost since the earliest flickers at the turn of the last century. During the great depression of the 1930s, it's widely acknowledged that the movies provided a much-needed break from the bread lines and the other miseries. The Oscars were given in those years too, and I imagine some people were resentful of the well-paid recipients, but a great many more appreciated what movie-makers were bringing to our commonweal. In many ways, history is repeating itself today.

I can't resent these folks. Behind the glitz is a tremendous amount of anxiety and self-doubt. Most of those in the trade are, when all is said and done, freelancers who are always clawing for their next gig. Even if the pay scale is higher than most of us can command, it doesn't mean they're any happier, any more secure, any more comfortable in their skins than anybody else.

Speaking of comfortable in one's skin, I thought Billy Crystal was a delight, and it was great to see him back. He's still funny, but the edge is off and he is now a distinguished friend leading us through the evening with kindness, good humor and grace.

Good show, everyone. It was lots of fun.

For those who are still uncomfortable with the Oscars, there's always the channel select button and the off button.
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Admiral

I admit, I have never been one to follow the Oscars much or at least for several decades.
I popped over to a friends house yesterday to drop some items off that I had promised and she said she was making snacks for the family to enjoy during the Oscars. She made the comment that they never invited people over for the festivities because guests could never be quiet, and they would miss bits and pieces as their guests talked over the program. I was not really surprised that they took it so seriously since they are very much involved in theatre.

Well boredom hit me hard last night and so I decided to tune in and see what I had been missing.

I saw a group of women referred to as "Bridesmaids" engaging in somewhat tasteless dialogue that went like this:

"Six beautiful, some say handsome, women were invited by the Academy not only to present three awards, but also to shatter the common belief that size does not matter," Wiig joked. "Ah, I hate to tell you guys this, but it kind of does," she further teased, likening the length of a movie to that of a certain part of a male's anatomy.
"Yes, but not length," Rudolph added. "As my grandma used to say, 'It can be short and still make your toes curl.' And I believe in my heart my grandma wasn't referring to wieners but short films."
The joke continued, with Wiig adding, "See, I'd rather have a short film with some heft that's nice to me rather than a long film that lies there and makes you do all the work."
"But sometimes a film can be too long," Rudolf said, while Wiig, holding back laughter, added, "Not for me, not for me."

I am sorry but the wiener talk took the sparkle and elegance away from the event... not to mention these young women did not have the comedic ingenuity to pull it off such brassy chatter. I cannot think of too many women who could have pulled that, aside from perhaps Bette Midler and even she would have saved it for a more suitable venue.

I did as AR recommends and shut it off. It came across as a kind of sad, cheap way to celebrate what is supposed to be excellence in the Motion Picture Industry. I was disappointed.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 27th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Interesting that you point out that particular segment, because I agree, it was the one idiotically tasteless five minutes of the evening. Terry had one comment: "uncalled for." And she was right. That bit should have been spiked by the producers the moment the script was drafted. No question about it. It wouldn't even have been funny on SNL, but of course there are lots of skits on SNL that aren't funny.

However, there were really no other segments of the show that dropped to that level, and it was five minutes out of three hours plus.
Old February 27th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
Interesting that you point out that particular segment, because I agree, it was the one idiotically tasteless five minutes of the evening. Terry had one comment: "uncalled for." And she was right. That bit should have been spiked by the producers the moment the script was drafted. No question about it. It wouldn't even have been funny on SNL, but of course there are lots of skits on SNL that aren't funny.

However, there were really no other segments of the show that dropped to that level, and it was five minutes out of three hours plus.
Seems timing is everything, and that happened to be the precise moment I tuned in. Glad to hear that was the low point lol and it was all uphill from there. It was truly painful to watch. I think people who have worked as hard as some of those honored last night, deserve a more dignified tribute.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 27th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Over the yrs. I haven't watches the Oscar's much, but last night we were invited to friends for order in chinese food and the Oscars.

I thought Billy Crystal was decent, with the odd good line. But I thought much of the "banter" between presenters was badly written and (possibly as a result of the writing) badly delivered.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 27th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I thought it was the least boring show, in many years. Loved that Octavia won,and wished Viola won too, but, it was Meryl's year. I enjoyed it.

Some stunning gowns,lots of black & white, peppered with brilliant hues!

Billy brought back some fun.
I agree with you. I really enjoyed it for the first time in many years.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old February 27th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Admiral

I am NOT a fan of Billy Crystal but I thought he was very good last evening .

The show itself was somewhat dull ,IMHO.
Old February 27th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Don't forget Trip,
The JEWLERY! Saw a lot that was absolutely beautiful....Yep, love watching the fashion show, some good, some not so good...

I love when Billy Crystal hosts the Oscars, love the opening...

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The reason I don't watch the AAs is that I don't go to new movies anymore. I have no idea what is in the theaters these days.

And I honestly think most movies are made to appeal to the DVD - Cable TV market rather than the big screen these days. Which is exactly where we watch them.

As far as I am concerned Television Drama is now far better than more feature films, and that is a pretty sad commentary on feature films.

The Academy Awards have been really badly written and presented for years now. They represent what Hollywood thinks people want to see from the movie industry, but as I said, I think the television business has a far better idea of what people really want.

We spent the evening catching up on episodes of House we missed on Hulu last night.
Old February 28th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Admiral

Default Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
The reason I don't watch the AAs is that I don't go to new movies anymore. I have no idea what is in the theaters these days.

And I honestly think most movies are made to appeal to the DVD - Cable TV market rather than the big screen these days. Which is exactly where we watch them.

As far as I am concerned Television Drama is now far better than more feature films, and that is a pretty sad commentary on feature films.

The Academy Awards have been really badly written and presented for years now. They represent what Hollywood thinks people want to see from the movie industry, but as I said, I think the television business has a far better idea of what people really want.

We spent the evening catching up on episodes of House we missed on Hulu last night.

A longtime friend of mine ,50+ years is a film director ,producer ,actor and playwright .He has been working on his next film for many years .My prediction is that it will be nominated for every category in the Oscars .

The working title is Los Pisteleros.
Old February 28th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post

So let's see, you don't watch the Oscars but you know that they're really badly written and presented. So in your view past performance predicts future results. And you don't watch new movies, preferring to see them later on a small screen (if at all), because they're not being made for big screens and are inferior overall to episodic television.

That's funny, because there are some really wonderful movies that are clearly better on the big screen these days. Hugo is one, there are many others. Size isn't everything, of course, but a large screen helps both theatrical films and the better TV shows. That's why I watch everything at home on a 106" screen. . .but I still like to go to the movies; one reason is the clear added value of seeing a picture in the company of a good-sized audience--except for the ones who talk and don't turn off their damn phones.