CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   My car was broken into sort of (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/387959-my-car-broken-into-sort.html)

katlady February 26th, 2012 03:31 PM

My car was broken into sort of

My hubby borrowed my car and left the doors unlocked. So the police stopped by a 3:30AM. Someone broke in and took my GPS, my emergency Kit and some old CDs. They were looking for my garage door opener so they could steal out of my garage. They did it to my neighbors we heard them in the garage and called the police. So the police man was paroling the area and saw my trunk open. We don't keep our garage door openers in the cars for this very reason. My GPS was acting funny and we were about to replace it anyway. The value of the stuff the stole was not worth going to insurance over. My hubby's new truck was locked so they didn't mess with it. Just a heads up don't keep your garage door opener in your car.

Moiraine February 26th, 2012 03:39 PM

Glad they didn't really get anything and no one was hurt.

Lakers Fan February 26th, 2012 04:12 PM

Ditto to Moraine

Mike M February 26th, 2012 04:36 PM

I'm glad they weren't able to get into the house. There was a group in the Minneapolis area that was using the same MO to break into homes.

I like where I live because there aren't too many people around. But this type of crime is one of the reasons why I will not allow my garage to become a storage shed and my cars go in the garage and not out in the driveway.

Glad it wasn't worse and I hope your insurance will cover your losses.

Take care,
Mike

katlady February 27th, 2012 10:59 AM

My losses we basically a GPS that was on it's last legs and a homemade emergency kit that had more sentimental then monetary value. So I won't bother with an insurance claim. Since we are paranoid we would never leave our garage door openers in the car and that save us for a large monetary value loss. I just wanted to put the warning out for others. I'm glad they didn't break into the house or my hubby's new truck. We were very lucky; it could have been a lot worse. BTW my early dog warning system is working great. My dog Maggie woke up and barked when she hear someone coming to the front door. LOL Turns out it was the police. But had the bad guys gotten into the house or garage she would have heard them and barked. She is a good doggy. :D

Manuel February 27th, 2012 11:07 AM

Kat, I'm glad that your loss was not too bad. It's allway sad when your property is messed with.

Thanks for the warning about the garage door opener.

TM

AR February 27th, 2012 08:22 PM

Good advice for anyone who doesn't keep the car in the garage. Our opener is built into the visor, so we can't remove it. Of course we could disable it and use a portable one, but it's moot because the car goes into the garage.