Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Admiral

Default Your very first full time job

What was your very first full time job ?

Mine was working in the Subscription Department of Crusader Newspaper ,a publication of the American Baptist Convention .
Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Admiral

Actually, two at once. One was as a Manager at the Burger Chef (a chain that no longer exists that I thought far better that McDonalds as our Big Chef (which, despite popular belief that's in print) was a three sliced bun very similar to the Big Mac but the sauce was ten times better)) and the other job, was at the high class men's store in town back when suits were really suits). To this day I can tell a high dollar suit just by the stitching. You'd be amazed by the number of "high dollar" people (think millionaires and actors) that wear suits that I wouldn't be caught dead in at a high dollar event (not to mention people paid a fortune for them and don't even know they were taken....which totally cracks me up_. Today, of course, I wear the cheap crap!
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old February 28th, 2012, 06:45 PM
First Mate

My first full-time job was cooking at a restaurant while attending high school concurrently.. I worked from 5pm until 2am - Five days per week. Twas a very busy restaurant so time always flew by. Still managed to get up and go to school every day too.

Todd, I remember Burger Chef!! I always wondered what ever happened to them!!!
Old February 28th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

My first full-time job (part time during school, full in the summer) I was a shipper/receiver at a company that made licensed jewelry and misc. items (everything from picture frames, sunglasses, stamps, letter openers, and the list goes on). It was all licensed, primarily Looney Tunes and some MTV stuff.

I'll never forget working there. Some of the things they did made absolutely no sense at all and the money they wasted on expenses was insane.

The orders they had were massive though. All Walmart, Kmart, Sears, and other large dept. stores. One of the biggest orders was actually the USPS. They made some Looney Tune stamps so the USPS wanted letter openers, stamps that were plated gold, keychains etc... Working 17-18 hour days for that order was the norm.
Old February 28th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Captain

Smile

My first job was when I was 14 working on a charter boat.It was 42 feet long we did 3 four hour trips a day everyday in the summer.I got paid a dollar a person and got paid in cash everynight.Are first trip we took 14 people the secound we took 8 or 9 people and the third we would take 5or6 people.It was one of the funniest jobs I ever had.
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Admiral

DHill,

If that doesn't beat all, I too worked on a charter boat, a 65 footer that took all day and half day trips (I only went on the all day trips). A school mate's father owned the boat and it sailed from Tarpon Springs FL. We baited the hooks and I've no idea what I was paid but (a) it wasn't much and (b) I could have cared less because I too got to fish (usually grouper and red snapper).
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old February 28th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Admiral

Default Your Very First Full Time Job

My first full time job was with the Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN. I went to Rochester with two girl friends. I got the job because I wasn't going to college in the Fall. I worked for them for five years. In those days, we worked five days a week plus a half day on Saturdays. We were paid once a month. Not very much money, either.

Judy
Old February 28th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Admiral

My first job was machining parts for jet engines. I worked there for seven months and then served with the US Army for a while.
Later on I went back to my first employer ( Pratt & Whitney Aircraft ) and worked there in different jobs until I retired.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old February 28th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Admiral

I waited tables at the Golden Bear restaurant on the corner of Rush & Chicago.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old February 29th, 2012, 01:18 AM
Captain

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
DHill,

If that doesn't beat all, I too worked on a charter boat, a 65 footer that took all day and half day trips (I only went on the all day trips). A school mate's father owned the boat and it sailed from Tarpon Springs FL. We baited the hooks and I've no idea what I was paid but (a) it wasn't much and (b) I could have cared less because I too got to fish (usually grouper and red snapper).
That sounds like it was a blast.We mostly fished for Salmon.Once in awhile we would go for halibut or bottom fish.I used to go down to the bay and jig for Herring and sell them to the charter office for.75 cents for a bucket full and always ask if the needed any help and then one day they said yes. I still see the boat that I worked on back then she is still charter fishing.It is an older wood boat called the Sea Pirate. I remember once we took some guys from a motorcycle gang out fishing their group was called Brother Speed. Turned out they were some of the nicest people and I was sure happy the fish were biting that day! Then once this older gentlemen was taking heart medince and got sea sick then started having heart problems we had to race him as fast as that old boat would go to the Coast guard Station! I could probaly go on for hours.Boy it sure is nice to think about those days.I guess that is one of the reasons we like to go on cruises so we can look back and think about all the good times!
Old February 29th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Admiral

My first FULL TIME job was U.S.M.C. (VERY full time!)

Manual,,,my oldest daughter is a "Pratt Brat!"

Todd,,,,I didn't have any idea you worked on a charter boat, baiting hooks. Were you a "master baiter"?

Sorry,,,I couldn't resist.

"SKY"
Old February 29th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Admiral

It will be amazing if we find people who worked for the same company at the same time .
Last summer I was on a cruise and got friendly with a guy who works for a company that one of my friends worked for.
Old February 29th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Admiral

Part time during high school and full time during summers beginning at age 14: projectionist at the movies, back when you actually needed one. Proud member of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees and Moving Picture Machine Operators of the United States and Canada.

We're spending our usual February in Palm Springs and two nights ago we went to a restaurant we'd never been to before. The place has a movie theme, and near the entrance is a projector salvaged from a local theatre. The picture head is a Simplex E-7 and the sound head is an RCA Photophone, which were the two heads I most commonly encountered back in the day. The lamphouse was Peerless Magnarc carbon arc which was trimmed out with 7mm positive and 6mm negative carbons. I only ran into Peerless lamps occasionally, but still know them pretty well. I asked the manager if I could open her up and show Terry and our cousins how everything works (well, worked) inside. He said sure and it was amazing, I remembered instinctively where all the door latches were and how to operate them, along with virtually every detail of how these sturdy and steadfast dream machines were made and how they operated. It gave me goose bumps and I was grateful to see and touch the old girl again.

I worked in the booth through high school and college, then went immediately into film production, mostly documentary and TV spots.

Last edited by AR; February 29th, 2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 08:45 AM
First Mate

My first Full time job was also in High School working for PetsMart! I loved that place! I worked there for 2 1/2 years in almost every department. If the pay compared at all to what I make now, I would still be there....

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Carnival Elation 11/02/2009
Carnival Pride 04/24/2006
Carnival Pride 05/23/2004
Carnival Elation (I think) 1999