Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:27 PM
Admiral

Default Lucy Liu to portray Dr.Watson

A TV show about Sherlock Holmes will air later this year with Lucy Liu portraying Dr. Watson .

Any opinions from the Holmes enthusiasts ?
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:29 PM
Admiral

If the show is well done, I will watch it.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old March 4th, 2012, 06:32 AM
Admiral

So is Irene Adler no longer to be the only woman in Sherlock's life?
I would think that impossible, but when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth

As Manuel said, as long as it is well scripted & produced, then we'll watch it. It can't be any worse than the last couple of films - can it?

Alan.

Next: Queen Elizabeth December 2014
Followed by: Minerva April 2015

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(6), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old March 4th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Admiral

Question Tinkering with a winner

I will never understand why Hollywood finds it sensible to tinker with a winning formula.

Why not keep Dr. Watson as male and just let him and Sherlock hang out at gay bars??

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old March 4th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandajones View Post
So is Irene Adler no longer to be the only woman in Sherlock's life?
I would think that impossible, but when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth

As Manuel said, as long as it is well scripted & produced, then we'll watch it. It can't be any worse than the last couple of films - can it?

Alan.
I had heard that in this Sherlock Holmes episode, Sherlock becomes enamored with Watson who is presented as a recently married man. The twist is that Watson's wife becomes an obstacle to this relationship. This obstacle is eliminated by Moriarty but it looks like Holmes may have been involved. Subsequently, Holmes is cleared of all involvement in Watson's wife murder. Holmes and Watson then go on to solve crimes.
Old March 5th, 2012, 02:15 AM
Admiral

First, it's worth noting that CBS has only ordered a pilot of the new series, "Elementary." It has not been greenlighted for anything more than the pilot, and may never see air. On the other hand, it could be the next megahit.

As most of you know, the great majority of Sherlockians, including yours truly, believe that there's a new Holmes (or more than one) for each new generation, which is one reason he endures across the ages. It is also true that the BBC series "Sherlock" starring Benedict Cumberbatch is a true tour de force, with the next three episodes (which will air in the US in May) even better than the first three. Yet another three have been scheduled for production.

Like most sensible people, I will reserve judgment on "Elementary" until I see it. The fact that it brings Holmes into the 21st century (in New York no less!) makes it seem like a craven ripoff of the BBC's effort. But we shall see.

The real irony (if it is irony at all) is that Jonny Lee Miller, who will play Holmes opposite Ms. Liu, played opposite Benedict Cumberbatch in last year's London production of Frankenstein. It created a sensation in that Cumberbatch and Miller alternated playing Frankenstein and the monster. It was a terrific marketing gimmick because a lot of people saw it twice in order to see each actor in both roles. Now, they'll each be playing Holmes, on opposite sides of the Atlantic.

And so it goes.
Old March 5th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Admiral

By the way, I've put a short article about the "Elementary" series in the "Inner Circle" column of our Washington Red Circle website at www.redcircledc.org for anybody who'd like to check it out.
Old March 5th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Default 21st.century

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
First, it's worth noting that CBS has only ordered a pilot of the new series, "Elementary." It has not been greenlighted for anything more than the pilot, and may never see air. On the other hand, it could be the next megahit.

As most of you know, the great majority of Sherlockians, including yours truly, believe that there's a new Holmes (or more than one) for each new generation, which is one reason he endures across the ages. It is also true that the BBC series "Sherlock" starring Benedict Cumberbatch is a true tour de force, with the next three episodes (which will air in the US in May) even better than the first three. Yet another three have been scheduled for production.

Like most sensible people, I will reserve judgment on "Elementary" until I see it. The fact that it brings Holmes into the 21st century (in New York no less!) makes it seem like a craven ripoff of the BBC's effort. But we shall see.

The real irony (if it is irony at all) is that Jonny Lee Miller, who will play Holmes opposite Ms. Liu, played opposite Benedict Cumberbatch in last year's London production of Frankenstein. It created a sensation in that Cumberbatch and Miller alternated playing Frankenstein and the monster. It was a terrific marketing gimmick because a lot of people saw it twice in order to see each actor in both roles. Now, they'll each be playing Holmes, on opposite sides of the Atlantic.

And so it goes.

Do you recall the movie in which Basil Rathbone aka Sherlock Holmes was "fighting" the Nazi's .He was brought to 1943 .
Old March 5th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Admiral

Default Lucy Liu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
By the way, I've put a short article about the "Elementary" series in the "Inner Circle" column of our Washington Red Circle website at www.redcircledc.org for anybody who'd like to check it out.
For me ,the best portrayal of Dr.Watson was Nigel Bruce . I enjoy watching films starring or featuring Lucy Liu but I cannot see her as Dr.Watson .
Old March 6th, 2012, 01:40 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Do you recall the movie in which Basil Rathbone aka Sherlock Holmes was "fighting" the Nazi's .He was brought to 1943 .
There were 14 Sherlock Holmes films that featured Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. The first two, produced at Fox, had them in period (that is to say, in Victorian times). These were The Hound of the Baskervilles and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

After that, the franchise moved to Universal, which produced the next 12 films. All of them updated the time frame to "current" (WWII) times, and several of them involved chasing the Nazis in one way or another.

I'm a great fan of these films, all of which have been lovingly restored by UCLA and are available in a DVD boxed set which I highly recommend. The restored versions are absolute jewels after the chopped-up 16mm TV prints we'd been subjected to for decades.

Like most Sherlockians, however, I regret that Nigel Bruce was scripted and directed to portray Watson as a bumbling fool, which he clearly was not, and which no other actor I can think of has done. A mind inferior to Holmes'? Of course. But we all have that problem. Yet Watson was a distinguished veteran of Afghanistan, a medical doctor of some competence, and a good writer. Certainly not the idiot that Nigel Bruce gave us. But, you know, that was the day of the "sidekick." Every adventure star had to have one. Whether it was Pat Buttram to Roy Rogers, Gabby Hayes to all sorts of cowboys, Pancho to the Cisco Kid, Rochester to Jack Benny, or dare I say it, Tonto to you-know-who. Sidekicks were believed necessary, but they weren't generally allowed to be too bright, lest they steal some of the star's thunder. And, often as not, they played the comic foil.

It was undoubtedly this mold to which the Universal producers relegated Mr. Bruce, and that was unfortunate. Rathbone was always good in the films, and in a few he was brilliant. And in the two Fox pictures, Bruce isn't nearly as idiotic as he is in the Universal efforts.

Finally, Rathbone and Bruce did a number of years worth of half-hour network radio shows as Holmes and Watson, mostly to cross-promote the movies. Many of these programs are easily available.

And I managed to write all this without looking anything up. Yay!

Last edited by AR; March 6th, 2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old March 6th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Admiral

I believe that Jeremy Brett on BBC played the Sherlock Holmes I liked the best.
Old March 6th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Admiral

My alltime favorite was Basil Rathbone .

A question to AR :

Somebody told me that Rathbone as Holmes once dueled an enemy ,did you ever hear of this ?
Old March 6th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
My alltime favorite was Basil Rathbone .

A question to AR :

Somebody told me that Rathbone as Holmes once dueled an enemy ,did you ever hear of this ?
Mr. Rathbone was an accomplished swordsman, a skill probably gained--or honed (sorry)--in his early days as a Shakespearian actor. His most famous onscreen swordplay came in his role as Sir Guy of Gisbourne in the 1938 Technicolor epic production of Robin Hood. He began his career as Holmes the following year.

I have no memory of him engaging in a swordfight as Holmes, although Watson tells us in the Canon that Holmes himself was quite accomplished with the blade.
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Thanks ,I did not think so either .
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
I believe that Jeremy Brett on BBC played the Sherlock Holmes I liked the best.
Jeremy Brett's portrayal was brilliant. Again, the entire series is available in a handsome boxed set. Brett used to joke that doing the role was easy, given his own personal demons. . ."I'm a manic depressive playing a manic depressive," he said.

I had the pleasure of meeting over tea and having a long chat with Mr. Brett's longtime personal assistant in London last year. She told me that he was one of the loveliest men she'd ever known. We've been corresponding occasionally, since she is one of the sparking plugs for the effort to have Mr. Brett awarded a postumous BAFTA prize for his Holmes oeuvre. Our website was one of those that promoted the online petition to do this, and we generated a fair number of signatures. The petition is now closed and has been submitted to BAFTA, and I'm told we're in good company. Among the other signing it were Christopher Plummer, Dame Judi Densch, David Suchet, and a host of other notables from the stage and film. They recognize, as do we, the tremendous contribution "our Jeremy" made to keeping Holmes alive.
Old March 9th, 2012, 12:48 AM
Admiral

I just remembered that Holmes engaged in a pretty good swordfight in "The Seven Per-Cent Solution," but in that film he was played by Nicol Williamson.
Old March 9th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Captain

Obviously, no one in this cruisemate audience apparently witnessed the performance of the William Hooker Gillette as Sherlock Holmes. He was the stereotype for Sherlock illustrations as well as being an American actor best remembered today for portraying Sherlock Holmes on stage.
Old March 9th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Admiral

Mr.Gillette died before I was born ,so no ,I never saw him act .
Old March 9th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Admiral

Yes, Mr. Gillette wrote and began performing his play "Sherlock Holmes" in 1899. He died in 1937 after something like 1300 performances--mostly in America, but with two significant runs in London.

Now, of course, Gillette was performing the play while Conan Doyle was still writing more stories. The Canon takes us up to the advent of WWI, and Conan Doyle himself died in 1930.

When Gillette was putting the finishing touches on the play, he asked Conan Doyle, "May I marry Holmes?" The author told him that he could marry him, kill him, or pretty much do anything he wanted with him. You see, by the turn of the century, Conan Doyle was thoroughly sick of Holmes, treated him as a distraction, killed him at the Reichenbach, but was forced to ressurrect him because of public outcry.

In any event Gillette's play with Gillette in the lead role was a smash hit for years on end. Since he died about a decade before I was born, of course I never got to see him. I do have friends whose parents did see him.

But as with everything Holmesian, there's a modern twist on Mr. Gillette. There's a very famous playwright here in Washington named Ken Ludwig, who specializes in farce. He's a wonderful, friendly guy who has written the smash Broadway and West End hits, "Lend Me a Tenor," "Moon Over Buffalo," "Leading Ladies," among many others. Ken is also a bigtime Sherlockian--in fact he inscribed his book to me, "with joy in our shared love of Sherlock and the theater."

Anyway, a year or so ago Ken invited us to a staged reading at the Kennedy Center of his new play called "The Game's Afoot, or Holmes for the Holidays." The play centers around William Gillette who, during a December performance of "Sherlock Holmes" in New York, is shot in the shoulder during the curtain calls. Recuperating at his Connecticut mansion, he invites his fellow cast members up for the Christmas holidays. Of course, hysterical mayhem ensues during a dark and stormy night. It's a combination of Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie on laughing gas. We were breathless by the time we made our way out to the terrace of the Kennedy Center to chat with the actors and Ken.

The play had its world premiere over this past Christmas at the Cleveland Play House and got rave reviews in the Plain Dealer and other media. We're doing our best to lobby Ken to bring it home to Washington as well, but I imagine he's shooting for Broadway and London at this point. We'll see.

So Mr. Gillette lives on in Ken Ludwig's new play!!
Old March 10th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Captain

Holmes for the Holidays - great alliteration. Private message to alert me when it is reborn
appreciated. This is minutia but in the seventies, I saw a Sherlock Holmes play on Broadway. It had a short run not enough Baker Street Irregulars.
Old March 11th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by masogonist View Post
Holmes for the Holidays - great alliteration. Private message to alert me when it is reborn
appreciated. This is minutia but in the seventies, I saw a Sherlock Holmes play on Broadway. It had a short run not enough Baker Street Irregulars.
Well, of course in the 60s we had "Baker Street," which was a Sherlock Holmes musical starring Fritz Weaver. It ran for about a year, and of course I saw it.

And in the 70s we had "Crucifer of Blood" at the Helen Hayes Theatre. It was basically "The Sign of the Four" done up for the stage. Can't remember who played Holmes in that one. I'll have to look it up. I saw it of course.

Also in the 70s was the resurrection of the Gillette play which had a good run in New York and toured as well. It starred John Wood in a Royal Shakespeare Company production. I saw it of course.

There were so many others I can't begin to count them. . ."Sherlock's Last Case," and on and on.

It makes me laugh when people say we're having a Sherlock Holmes renaissance these days. You can't be reborn when you've never died. . .and Holmes hasn't!!

And now the word is out that Sir Elton John will contribute to the current wave of Holmes films with "Gnomeo and Juliet: Sherlock Gnomes." John will produce the film and write the music. The film will feature "the greatest ornamental detective" as he searches for missing gnomes and investigates "crimes against gnomanity."

Last edited by AR; March 11th, 2012 at 06:28 PM.