Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Admiral

Default Sleep Study

Has anyone had a sleep study to determine if you have Sleep Apnea ?
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Admiral

Yes, I have.
Old March 6th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Admiral

Default Sleep Study

I snored so loud my wife could hardly sleep. I got up in the morning and counted the hours until I could take a nap. I dozed off at work. I could hardly drive a car because I was afraid I would fall asleep at the wheel. I was irritable and depressed.

My wife went on the internet and found a sound file of exactly what I was doing at night. I stopped snoring and was totally silent for some seconds, then started breathing again with a gasp.

She insisted I have a sleep study. It showed that I have severe sleep apnea. I was stopping breathing over 100 times an hour (anything over 20 is severe.) The doctor sent me out to get a CPAP machine that very afternoon. It is the best thing that has ever happened to me! Besides having my life back and not falling asleep all the time, I have also completely stopped snoring! I have not slept a single night without my CPAP machine for the last seven years.

As far as the study itself, it is very simple and no trouble at all. Here is a detailed description Sleep Study - What to Expect in a Sleep Study Your particular study may differ slightly but the idea is the same.

If you think that you or someone you know may have sleep apnea, HAVE THE STUDY!

And, oh yes, it is absolutely no problem traveling with a CPAP machine. I take it on all our trips and cruises and use it every night aboard or in the hotel.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old March 6th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Admiral

Default Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
I snored so loud my wife could hardly sleep. I got up in the morning and counted the hours until I could take a nap. I dozed off at work. I could hardly drive a car because I was afraid I would fall asleep at the wheel. I was irritable and depressed.

My wife went on the internet and found a sound file of exactly what I was doing at night. I stopped snoring and was totally silent for some seconds, then started breathing again with a gasp.

She insisted I have a sleep study. It showed that I have severe sleep apnea. I was stopping breathing over 100 times an hour (anything over 20 is severe.) The doctor sent me out to get a CPAP machine that very afternoon. It is the best thing that has ever happened to me! Besides having my life back and not falling asleep all the time, I have also completely stopped snoring! I have not slept a single night without my CPAP machine for the last seven years.

As far as the study itself, it is very simple and no trouble at all. Here is a detailed description Sleep Study - What to Expect in a Sleep Study Your particular study may differ slightly but the idea is the same.

If you think that you or someone you know may have sleep apnea, HAVE THE STUDY!

And, oh yes, it is absolutely no problem traveling with a CPAP machine. I take it on all our trips and cruises and use it every night aboard or in the hotel.

I have not driven a car for 9 years because I would fall asleep in the car .My wife tells me that I snore very loud and at times it appears that I am not breathing . My internist recommended 3 sleep study centers .I researched them on line and plan on doing one ,most likely after my upcoming cruise .
Old March 6th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Admiral

Good luck, Henry. The sleep study is no biggie. I had to stay the nest day, too to rule out narcolspsy. My fatigue is due to a neurological illness rather than sleep apnea.. I hope that the study will find the problem and it can be treated...and that you'll feel better.
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Admiral

Thanks ,Moraine
Old March 7th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Has anyone had a sleep study to determine if you have Sleep Apnea ?
Yes I've had it dpne 3 times.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Rather than using a CPAP, I wear a Zorro Mask.

Then Mrs. Kuki doesn't know who's snoring
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Exclamation Sleep study

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
I have not driven a car for 9 years because I would fall asleep in the car .My wife tells me that I snore very loud and at times it appears that I am not breathing . My internist recommended 3 sleep study centers .I researched them on line and plan on doing one ,most likely after my upcoming cruise .
DO IT HENRY! DO IT NOW!!

You will be so glad you did.

Many many sleep apnea cases are diagnosed by wives!

Life without that dragged out sleepy fatigue feeling is so much better!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old March 7th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Admiral

I too have had it about three onths before Fran died (at her insistence BTW) and yes, I do have sleep apnea but thankfully, it's not, at this stage at least, too severe.

I even managed to sleep an hour or two during the test (which is no mean feat when one considers the patient looks like a woman getting a permanent back in the thirties used to look with all those wires running out of their hair. I've often wondered, what do they do it you're bald?
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old March 7th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Default Zorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Rather than using a CPAP, I wear a Zorro Mask.

Then Mrs. Kuki doesn't know who's snoring
I'm wearing a Zorro mask tonight in temple for Purim .You gave me the idea ,Kuki.
Old March 8th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Henry, I have severe sleep apnea. My c-pap has been a life saver for me. I feel lots better than I did before my sleep study. While some people experience instant relief it is not always that way. I went through a period of rebellion and tossed off my mask in the night. It took time to adjust. Slowly, gradually I began feeling the difference in my sleep patterns. Now I never go away over night without my c-pap. Best of luck with your sleep study and life with sleep apnea.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old March 8th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Admiral

I'm not sure if sleep apnea is my problem . I will find out when I do the test next month .
Old March 8th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I know I cannot post another website here as it would violate the tos. I do have a sleep apnea forum that has helped me a lot. I can tell you that the friendly and very helpful people there have been a big help to me. They were kind and patient and always ready to offer advice. PM me and I will give you or anyone the address if you like.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old March 8th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Admiral

I will PM you but actually you can post about another site as long as its not another cruise site . I posted numerous times about a DOOWOP board that I was a contributor to .