Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 9th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default My name is Trip,and, I am addicted to House Hunters

Even as a kid, I was addicted to a local real estate show called Bulders Showcase, so it's not surprising I have been addicted to HGTV's House Hunters, for years. Have you ever watched it? If you haven't, you will become addicted

I am surprised by what people expect for the budget they set. Madison Ave. set done well, in making homebuyers think, if they don't have stainless steel appliances,and granite counters, life is over! In the international episodes, surprised Americans look askance at homes without open layouts and 10 foot ceilings! Poor things....#1 #2 #3 which will it be?

I found out some secrets about the show today...There will be a House Hunters, where are they now? I have always wonderedif some of these couples are maried after their searches..and also found out, one couple split up during the production of an episode ..Wow!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Admiral

Most of those houses are fine, but OMG I hate the color, closet too small. These buyers have no clue!! I watch them too, you can almost "predict" what will be wrong.
Old March 9th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Admiral

You need to go on more cruises to cure your addiction.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Default My Name is Trip and I am addicted to House Hunters

I like House Hunters, too. Keith doesn't care for it, so usually, we watch Rick Steves' "Europe through the Back Door."

There was an article on House Hunters in the paper. They said it was a poor way to buy a house (only looking at three), also that a lot of them are setups (the people have already bought the house and the other two are "created."

Judy
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I am actually watching HGTV right now, some neat house, the one on now, is a rotating house in San Diego, very cool!

Yes, I too have been watching House Hunters forever. I agree, it totally amazes me when wall colors can make or break a deal. One of the easiest fixes you can do...Then you see the european homes, some have no kitchen, you have to bring your own...OMG....

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 9th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Admiral

I remember a show very similar to Builder's Showcase. It was on Sunday morning at 11:30 and was an ad for a local Real Estate company. We watched it often.

Who knew that watching people look for a home would become so popular and lucrative !

Judy, I think they use the "top three" house's the people look at. I'm sure they look at many more before the show's filmed.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old March 9th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Admiral

My name is Henry43 and I too am an addict .Am I the only male ?
Old March 10th, 2012, 01:20 AM
First Mate

add me to the addict list. In love with the international version..

CarnivalTriumph
Old March 10th, 2012, 05:16 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I used to love it but now I no longer get that channel. I sure miss it. Recently I have been driven to look at the real estate ads locally. I do not know why I feel this need but I do. I have been on one site so much that the realtor called me. I told her I was just looking. I do find it fun to look at the houses.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old March 10th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Admiral

Nope Henry. All of us REAL MEN enjoy House Hunters,,,especially House Hunters International. I'm blown away at the money some of these folks have to spend on their "Vacation Homes!" I love some of the homes they show, but can't imagine spending that much money, and especially on a home where they'll only spend a couple of weeks a year! Must be nice to have that kind of loot!

"SKY"
Old March 10th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

I also like House Hunters. I really like the Internation version as well. It's nice to see the styles of homes in other countries and how they do things differently.

I forget where it was, but in 1 country houses were scarce, so you actually bid over the asking price.

And, I agree the budget of some of these people is unreal. "My budget is $1.2 million." Then that doesn't give them the view they want or that really nice kitchen so they just "bump it up a little" to 2 million. Must be nice!
Old March 10th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
Nope Henry. All of us REAL MEN enjoy House Hunters,,,especially House Hunters International. I'm blown away at the money some of these folks have to spend on their "Vacation Homes!" I love some of the homes they show, but can't imagine spending that much money, and especially on a home where they'll only spend a couple of weeks a year! Must be nice to have that kind of loot!

"SKY"

I agree. I blows my mind that some people will spend three or four hundred thousand dollars on a vacation home they will spend a max of a month at year. Do you know how many cruises you could do for that kind of money?
Old March 10th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Default Prices of homes

Quote:

"SKY"

In 2000 ,a friend of mine bought a 5 bedroom house with an in-ground pool in the USA for $49,000.
Old March 10th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Admiral

I too love House Hunters and so does my daughter. A couple years ago she and her hubby were trying to buy a house. She actually looked into being on the show and at the time the requirement was to at least be under contract and just waiting for closing, then the show would have you look at 2 more homes. They could then film within a short time frame for the choosing and then come back as soon as possible for the after.

Some of the people really get me with all thier requirements as to what the house has to have and how even just the color of the walls can make them so unhappy with a place.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old March 10th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Admiral

I too love the international version,and I will be interested on the where are they now show, if any of the couples who were very starry eyed and gave it all up to move to Ceentral America, are still there..They all want to open up water related boating/scuba businesses..how'd that work out for ya?

The one thing drives me crazy...a couple, no kids....buy a 3/4 bed, 3 bath home,and whine because the master bath has only one sink!! Take your tush to another bathroom and make it yours...done!

Last edited by Trip; March 10th, 2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old March 10th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Admiral

I still don't understand buying a vacation home when you are only there for a little bit. What about all the upkeep, etc. Why not just rent somewhere when you want to go??

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 10th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Admiral

Rob and I are addicted to House Hunters International; we can dream, can't we?
Old March 10th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I still don't understand buying a vacation home when you are only there for a little bit. What about all the upkeep, etc. Why not just rent somewhere when you want to go??
Thats what I don't understand either. Even if you are only there for a month or even 2, it must be easier (and cheaper) just to rent. No hassle of taxes, worrying about hurricanes (depending on the area), upkeep, etc...

Then again, if money is no object I guess it just doesn't matter.
Old March 10th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Admiral

Yeah, but I am pretty sure that for some of these people money is an issue. They are not all multi millionaires. So, why do they limit themselves to one place and go through the hassle of taxes and renting the place out the rest of the year? I mean, I really can think of a lot of places I'd like to go...and I certainly can think of a lot of cruises I'd like to do for all of the money these people sink into these vacation homes.
Old March 11th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Admiral

The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I often talk about where we'd like to have another home, if we had the money. She, of course, wants a home in Italy, or Sicily, where she was born, and I would greatly prefer a home on St Thomas, or St. John. I think the answer is given in the posts above. Don't BUY anywhere, but just go and rent a home, or stay in a GREAT hotel for a week or two when you're in the mood. That way, you can have the absolute best of all worlds, and EVERYONE stays happy! (Better yet, just get on a cruise ship, and you can visit all of these places, without ever unpacking!) :-D

"SKY"
Old March 11th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Most of the people buying these vacation homes, are not wealthy people.
They have saved for it, it seems,and now feel the need to dump their money into a far away money pit.

Owning a home can be hard enough, with upkeep, and, the oh so horrible unexpected situation, which empties your coffer in a heartbeat. Imagine all that, and having to get on a plane to see a mountain has slid down in your backyard! Add into the mix, the people who rent from you off season, to help you with the mortgage. Those darn college kids had a party,and everbody on the island was invited....they moved out like thieves in the night,and oh yes, your house was trashed! A time share or a cruise, sounds like heaven!!

In this article, it also said that they sometimes try and find buyers who are already close to a deal on a particular home. I guess everthing around it is a farce, but I am still hooked! For long time fans, it's also amazing to see the differences in how the show is shot..Used to be quite a stiff, formal show, now, dity looks, sighs and the occaisional slap is all part of ther fun

Old March 11th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Hi, I just found out I can see the shows from HGTV from the website. Yippee!!! Now I am going to check out other channels I have been missing.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old March 11th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Admiral

Default My Name is Trip and I am Addicted to House Hunters

What gets me is when a couple is limited in funds but they still have a list of requirements a mile long!

There's a house in the Los Angeles Times Real Estate section for $78 Million! Definitely not a vacation home.

Judy
Old March 12th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinK n J View Post
What gets me is when a couple is limited in funds but they still have a list of requirements a mile long!

There's a house in the Los Angeles Times Real Estate section for $78 Million! Definitely not a vacation home.

Judy
That's the one I was looking at, but there was not quite enough granite counterspace
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
That's the one I was looking at, but there was not quite enough granite counterspace
Yep, I looked at that one too, but the circular drive wasn't quite big enough for my "Lambo" to look correct when parked there. Really sad, it was quite a bargain.

"SKY"
Old March 12th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Yep, I looked at that one too, but the circular drive wasn't quite big enough for my "Lambo" to look correct when parked there. Really sad, it was quite a bargain.

"SKY"
Maybe we can get the owner to fix the driveway and counters, offer 60 mill. and ask for closing costs?
Old March 14th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Two things about this show that amaze me:

1. How do couples so young (25-40) have so much money?

2. How can people be so spoiled? One woman, looking at a home in the Caribbean whined, "But it's so BRIGHT!". Duh....it's the Caribbean, not Norway.
Old March 14th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Oh, I know, always wonder how people so young can have that much extra $ to buy a vacation home.

I could never understand why the absolute need to have two sinks in the bathroom..Do people actually use the bathroom at the same exact time?

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 14th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Admiral

When I hear them say...I don't think I can live with that, or everything will have to be totally gutted, I see stars!!

Old March 15th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Admiral

I work in a real estate office in Florida and one of our agents has done two house hunter shows and I think she is working on a third one with some clients. She says it is a real pain in the backside to do one show. They have to change clothes 4 or 5 times a day while shooting the show. It takes weeks or months of filming to do a 30 minute segment to air. She never has said how much she or the clients gets paid for the shows and I haven't asked. She has said it is a lot of work for not a whole lot of money though. It does give her a little bit of exposure for business, but not much, since they don't mention the company name except in the credits and you have to really read fast to see that. I'm sure it's pretty much scripted just like a lot of reality shows, but I still enjoy watching House Hunters. I also enjoy Property Virgins on HGTV.

Carnival legend November 2009
Carnival Glory October 2007
Carnival Elation November 2006