Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Admiral

Default The next POTUS

Whom would you like to see as the next POTUS ?
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2012, 11:38 PM
Captain

I'd be happy to take the job.

Think they would let me sell airforceone and put a presidential suite on a cruise ship? They have a helipad for people who needed to see me in person.
Old March 13th, 2012, 03:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospace View Post
I'd be happy to take the job.

Think they would let me sell airforceone and put a presidential suite on a cruise ship? They have a helipad for people who needed to see me in person.
The POTUS already has a few cruise ships, one of them being the USS Ronald Reagan!

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old March 13th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Captain

I must be crazy to get into a political discussion on the internet...

For me - Obama.

I am a registered independent that used to vote mostly Republican, before the party was taken over by the radical ultraconservatives. It seems now that the party is determined to legislate what me my family should do in the bedroom, what our moral values should be, and what we should think. Sorry, this is not what the US was intended to be.

Just think about how better off we would be today if the Republicans had tried to work with the President instead of completely stonewalling everything. This totally political decision showed that the party leadership was more focused on politics than what was good for the nation - in a desperate time. I agree with some conservitive ideas and would like to see them implemeted. However, this takes compromise and a willingness to do what is the best for the country - NOT THE PARTY!!!!

Sorry Republicans you have lost me, and many of the people I know. Church and State MUST be separate as the founding fathers intended and for good reason. Your party is loosing the very people it needs to maintain the balance that is good for our society.

So, until the R party and it's candidates figure out how to stop the lies and rhetoric they spew out just to try to gain power (yes this can be on both sides) - I will continue to vote against your candidates.
Old March 13th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Admiral

There is nobody in the Republican party that offers any hope for me .If I vote for Obama it will be the lesser of 2 evils .

I'm seriously considering a minority party candidate . The last person I voted for that gave me a slimmer of hope was McGovern .
Old March 13th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Admiral

I really don't know where the term POTUS came from, but I much prefer the word President. For me, anyone conservative would be better than more Obama. If the congress haden't stonewalled Obama on legistation, we would be even worse off financially than we are now. For one thing. the cap and trade legistation that passed the house and not the senate would be law and gas probably would be at $9.00 a gallon.
Old March 13th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
I really don't know where the term POTUS came from, but I much prefer the word President. For me, anyone conservative would be better than more Obama. If the congress haden't stonewalled Obama on legistation, we would be even worse off financially than we are now. For one thing. the cap and trade legistation that passed the house and not the senate would be law and gas probably would be at $9.00 a gallon.
I honestly do not know enough about the details of the cap and trade to comment.

However, I would be willing to bet that although our views may be different on this, you and I could get together, research it, and come up with a way to proceed. This is how adults come together in our diverse society to take the serious issues we face. What we should not do is act like a three year old child and take the "our way or nothing" stance they have.

It is my fear if we head the way the Republicans are headed today we are going to have a dystopian, corporate controlled society. I actually like a lot of the Libertarian views, although I don't know how a libertarian candidate would be able to get ANYTHING done in our current system. Also, unlike the libertarians, I believe we do need to have controls on various aspects of society to maintain the good for the whole. I do like the idea of getting the government out of our personal lives.
Old March 13th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Admiral

I don't think Larry, Curley and Moe could offer up any competition to the current POTUS, so I don't see anything changing.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old March 13th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Admiral

I think that Henry43 would make a great President.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 13th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Default Friends ,Romans ,Countrymen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
I think that Henry43 would make a great President.

TM

I have been a President but not of a country .
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:12 AM
Captain

The Republican Party hasn't won a presidential election without a Bush or a Nixon on the ticket since 1928!

Could Romney choose a Bush or Nixon as a running mate or will the streak be broken?
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:14 AM
Admiral

I suggest Otis Nixon as a running mate .
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Talking Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Whom would you like to see as the next POTUS ?
Somebody smarter.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:26 AM
Admiral

Default Somebody smarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
Somebody smarter.
If intelligence is the quota for a great President I offer the following ,all of whom can be googled :

1) Martin Lampe -NASA Physicist

2)Lawrence Rabiner -award winning Scientist
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I don't think that not being smart is President Obama's problem. I think he is probably very smart, but being smart, and having the experience to run a country is two different things.

If he is reelected, I hope that he has learned a few lessons. If he does not then I think he will have a future in broadcasting. He has great timing, and can get across the message.

If Rommney is elected, I hope he will take what he has learned as a business man, and get things straightened out. If someone doesn't we are heading in a very serious direction.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:27 PM
Admiral

I guess Aidan, that Dwight Eisenhower was a mole, huh?

1. Our unemployment rate is 8.2 but when you figure all those who have quit looking for work it's over 10%.

2. Gasoline is averaging over $3.60 a gallon. It was around $1.65 a gallon when the current President took office.

3. A loaf of brand name bread is around $2.65

4. No new coal electric generating plants are being authorized even though we have now what even government officials tout as "clean" coal and at the rate we're going, in less than ten years we will not be able to provide enough electricity to run the country. (unless the kelp really starts growing at an astronomical rate). Additionally, we are growing millions of tons of what amounts to food (as in corn) to manufacture a gasoline based fuel that actually destroys our small engines and if that isn't bad enough, the Federal rules are now mandating that the amount of Ethanol that is being added will be increased in just a few years that it will literally destroy today's average automobile engine.

Many of the manufacturing plants that the President used as examples and photo-ops of his successes with Congress are now shuttered and empty.

5. We have as it turns out, more oil reserves than the Middle East but no new permits have been issued for Federal lands. Off shore oil wells have been banned from around two thirds of the fields proven to have oil off of our shores, yet the current President says he would now approve off-shore drilling (????). Of course we are not allowed to build a pipeline that instead of passing through all of this "virgin" land everyone is talking about, is actually designed (if one looks at a map) to go through areas that already has miles and miles of petroleum pipelines.

Wouldn't it be comon sense to continue developing ecological friendly sources of energy while we continue using petroleum based fuels inasmuch as it's going to take, according to all the experts, over twenty years to accomplish that challenge or should we prefer to walk and freeze to death until that occurs?

Didn't one of the top most executives of the EPA state earlier this week that we should "crucify" accepted energy producers?

6. While thankfully, Chevrolet is bouncing back, it still owes Billions of dollars to the American Taxpayers. When are we going to be paid? Do you think senior citizens who don't have sufficient healthcare should get that money?

Yep Aidan, we haven't had any Republican except for the two Bush's and Nixon (along with that famous sneaky Democrat Dwight Eisenhower) since 1928. Given the shape this country is in, I can't help but think maybe we should be choosing possibly another path.

I of course wouldn't know though as I only have a high school diploma, so I must defer to the wisdom of others who are far more knowlegedable about such things.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old May 4th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Captain

I still have hope for Ron Paul, the only honest man running for president

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
I guess Aidan, that Dwight Eisenhower was a mole, huh?
Richard Nixon was elected Vice-President both of Eisenhower's terms!

Aidan wrote:
The Republican Party hasn't won a presidential election without a Bush or a Nixon on the ticket since 1928!
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Quote:
Potus

President Of The United States

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 4th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Admiral

Aidan,

You are correct and I apologize. I read over the work "won." At least now, after just four years now, we're just a rollin' in the clover.

BTW, for those who may think I'm one sided, my favorite President of my lifetime was Harry Truman....who was also the last elected President who didn't have a college degree, much less one from Hah'vad.
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
I don't think that not being smart is President Obama's problem. I think he is probably very smart, but being smart, and having the experience to run a country is two different things.

If he is reelected, I hope that he has learned a few lessons. If he does not then I think he will have a future in broadcasting. He has great timing, and can get across the message.

If Rommney is elected, I hope he will take what he has learned as a business man, and get things straightened out. If someone doesn't we are heading in a very serious direction.

Luanne, I like your statements and I agree with you.

I would like to add that Congress has to do better job if we are going to get on the right track.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Unhappy Congress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
Luanne, I like your statements and I agree with you.

I would like to add that Congress has to do better job if we are going to get on the right track.

TM
I believe it was Will Rogers who said "We are paying for wisdom, and all we get is wind."

And in 1776 John Adams says, "One fool is called the Village Idiot. Two fools are called a Law Firm. And three or more fools are called Congress!"

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Admiral

Thinking this over ,I accept the Manuel nomination :Henry43 for POTUS.
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Default Potus

Laura, I knew where the term POTUS came from. I just don't like it, because it reminds me of Pompous or Pontius.
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Laura, I knew where the term POTUS came from. I just don't like it, because it reminds me of Pompous or Pontius.
I'm with Paul on this one. I personally find it disrespectful.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Admiral

The first person to use the term on CM is one of the most respected people ever to post on this board .
Old May 4th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Henry,

Have you talked with Venice since he left?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old May 4th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Admiral

I have to agree, regardless of whomever is the President, that should be the term used....not POTUS. Whether or not you personally like the individual, the President remains the President who just also happens to be the most powerful man in the world.

Do I care if he uses Air Force One all the time and goes on vacations? Absolutely not. Just look at the color of the hair of every President in your lifetime and that will provide you with just a hint of the stress of that job. And remember, a President is on duty (including briefings, etc., 24/7). I personally am aboth proud and glad that whomever is the President is treated (or should be) with a level of deferential treatment not afforded in some cases, even European Royalty. It's as it is in the service, you salute the rank, not the individual.

POTUS is a generalized term used by the Secret Service (but probably no longer) considering it's overuse.

And while we're at it, let's look at today's Secret Service. Though many have read about what it entails, few people have personal knowledge of how involved it is to move the President of the United States literally across the street. I happen to be one of those people.

When Clinton and the the Russian Premier came to Hyde Park (on two occasions because Clinton loved Hyde Park) I had a drink with a Secret Service agent whose sole job was to walk the entire grounds of the Roosevelt Estate just to insure there were no land mines! You would be thunderstruck if you knew just how much that job alone entailed. the preparations leading up to the President visiting a particular area are nothing less than mind boggling and involve temporary yet complete telephone wire restructuring, etc.

Whenever a President (or even Vice-President for that matter) moves he or she does not stop....PERIOD! I don't care if it's the New Jersey Turnpike at rush hour, nothing moves! Any vehicle parked alongside of the roadway has a marked police vehicle right alongside of it. If the motorcade is a long distance than it's a continuouse rolling roadblock with literally a marked law enforcement vehicle blocking exit from every single driveway, parking lot, side street, whatever. It is one thing to read about, something else entirely to witness.

Love 'em, hate 'em, like 'em or simply dislike 'em, the President of the United States is and should be proferred every single amenity he/she receives. They've earned it by virtue of their election by the American people.
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Default Venice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
Henry,

Have you talked with Venice since he left?
I have both his e-mail address and his home address .I have not heard from him and have no idea of why he is no longer posting .

However , I have used the term POTUS because he did and if by chance he is reading these posts he should know how much he is missed .
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Admiral

I was hoping you had heard from him. I know why you worded the thread like this. I thought of him as soon as I saw the thread.

As wise not so young Canadian once told me, "Luanne, you think they are your friend, you get close and then one day they are gone" I also wish him well, and sure wish when I went to so much trouble to find him, he had not taken a minute to respond.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008