CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Lana Turner Revisited (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/388632-lana-turner-revisited.html)

Lakers Fan April 3rd, 2012 08:05 PM

Lana Turner Revisited

Approximately 60 years ago Lana Turner was discovered sitting on a stool at Schwab's Drug Store .

Were you or anyone you know similiarly discovered ?

ToddDH April 4th, 2012 05:08 AM

Yeah Henry,

A really nasty and dangerous drunk first discovered yours truly who was sitting alongside a "bull" (NYPD Detective) at The Bay Cafe on Bay Street (originally known as Gus Pappas's Bloody Bucket). just down the street from the 120 Precinct in Staten Island We taught him how to sprout wings and literally fly out the door. Following that incident the two of us were known as the "Bird Men" of Bay Street.We both became legends in our own minds (and at the Bay Cafe).

Don't know if a Hollywood director saw that or not but I don't remember any Klieg lights or any autograph signings but the guy resembled Johnny Stompanato. rofl

Lakers Fan April 4th, 2012 04:43 PM

Bay Street

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddDH (Post 1423265)
Yeah Henry,

A really nasty and dangerous drunk first discovered yours truly who was sitting alongside a "bull" (NYPD Detective) at The Bay Cafe on Bay Street (originally known as Gus Pappas's Bloody Bucket). just down the street from the 120 Precinct in Staten Island We taught him how to sprout wings and literally fly out the door. Following that incident the two of us were known as the "Bird Men" of Bay Street.We both became legends in our own minds (and at the Bay Cafe).

Don't know if a Hollywood director saw that or not but I don't remember any Klieg lights or any autograph signings but the guy resembled Johnny Stompanato. rofl

I spent the summer of 1959 working in Staten Island .I recall Bay St.so very well.

Lakers Fan April 4th, 2012 04:52 PM

In the summer of 1983 a friend of mine was sitting in a coffee shop in Manhattan having lunch.She was at a table for 2 but she was alone . A guy approached her and asked if he could sit there ,she replied that he could . She found him gazing at her and he asked if she was a model or actress ,she laughed and replied that she was not .
The guy took out a pad and wrote down the name and phone number of the head of a Manhattan modeling agency and suggested that she contact him .
He also wrote down his name .
After lunch my friend went back to work and told her co-workers about the conversation and showed them what was written on the paper .Everyone but my friend recognized the names and said "wow,you had lunch with ... ....son ?
Not being much of a movie goer or TV watcher she was not familiar with the name . She was urged to call the number and the rest they say is history .
However ,acting and modeling was not something that she ever aspired as a career and by her choosing she gave it up shortly thereafter .