Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2012, 08:11 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to KellyKayden
Default Favorite port to cruise from?

As I'm looking at all the choices for my next cruise, I'm curious, does anyone have a favorite port to depart from? I'm trying to find something somewhat closer to me....but not too many luxury ships come through Toledo, OH....lol

Or possibly even favorite place to go to! I am still pretty new to this so I will take any advice I can get!

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Admiral

My favorite is Manhattan ,NY
Old April 4th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Admiral

I've only sailed from two ports, three cruises from Bayonne NJ and one from Miami.

Hands down thus far it's Miami!
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old April 4th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Admiral

We have sailed from Port Everglades (Ft Lauderdale), Miami and Tampa. And our favorite is Port Everglades. No matter what day of the week it is there are always people lining the chanel waving and with flags hanging from condo balconies. Also since we drive it is very easy at Port Everglades.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old April 4th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Definitely Venice (Italy, not California).

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old April 4th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Admiral

I love Port Everglades . Now that I live in the Sunshine State it will be easy to cruise from there.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old April 4th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Admiral

I've only cruised from Manhattan ,Bayonne and Ft.Lauderdale.
Old April 4th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I've sailed from: Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Houston, Galveston, Mobile, New Orleans, Long Beach, San Pedro, Vancouver, & San Juan.

Favorites: 1. Galveston 2. San Juan

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 4th, 2012, 11:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default San Diego is the best for cruisers

Although I have only taken land trips so far I can say with absolute certainty San Diego wins. I was there twice and unlike all other cruise ship port cities I have been to it looks like it was built for cruisers. Although other cities such as Seattle and Boston are good for walkers, if you don't have a car, you can't beat San Diego for a pre-cruise stay. Why Princess ships never embark there, I would love to know.

My travel history includes Seattle, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, NYC, Boston, and a few hours in Tampa, Baltimore, and Jacksonville. If I could only go back to one of those ports it would definitely be San Diego. Why don't more cruise lines realize it is ideal for their passengers who like to fly early and don't want to rent cars? Look at a map of SD, Princess!

Looking forward to cruising!

Read and post cruise reviews

Old April 5th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Within the U.S.A., Fort Lauderdale is #1, New York a very close second, which you MUST do at least once.

Outside the U.S., Genoa or Barcelona.....staying 2 or 3 days before the cruise to explore!
Old April 5th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

My preference would be to cruise out of Lauderdale. I pre cruise there,and the, airport is close to the port, good, inexpensive shuttle service, great hotels, beaches, and restaurants.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 5th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Definitely Venice (Italy, not California).
Venice is probably the prettiest port in the world to sail into & out of, but not very easy getting from the airport to the dock.

For ease it is probably Fort Lauderdale with port & airport very close, most hotels providing airport pickup and port dropoff the following day. If flying in the same day, take a cab from FLL to port, it is cheaper than shuttles with less hassle.

O F C'er
Old April 5th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Admiral

I too would have to say Lauderdale. I had no problem with Miami or Port Canaveral either, however I would try my hardest to avoid Tampa.It was one big headache.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old April 5th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Admiral

It's been years since I cruised out of Miami (prolly around the the time I stopped flying Air Canada!).

All recent cruising is from Port Canaveral or Everglades. I like them equally.

For those who cruise out of NY - which airport is closer? What is time distance (taking NYC traffic into account) for transfers? Would you hire a cab or take a port transfer? I can fly fairly cheaply into Newark. Are there transfers from Newark to the port?

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old April 5th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Ft. Lauderdale is best for airport transfers for sure. I hate (not too strong of a word) the Miami airport.

I understand it's a mess, but I'd like to sail from Charleston.

In addition to the ports I listed, I've also sailed from San Francisco and Seattle, but not as embark ports. San Francisco is wonderful.

Future Cruiser: There is much more to consider than the beauty or attractions of the city when using that that city as a port for embarkation. The airport transfers to pier, pier location, staffing and facilities of the terminal and more.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 5th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
It's been years since I cruised out of Miami (prolly around the the time I stopped flying Air Canada!).

All recent cruising is from Port Canaveral or Everglades. I like them equally.

For those who cruise out of NY - which airport is closer? What is time distance (taking NYC traffic into account) for transfers? Would you hire a cab or take a port transfer? I can fly fairly cheaply into Newark. Are there transfers from Newark to the port?
wow - google ads is quick. I typed out this post and next thing I knew, i was seeing ads for Air Canada.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old April 5th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Admiral

Snoozeman, we sailed from Charleston last Oct and it was very pretty but right now and for a bit in the future the inital check in is a table at the entrance. Then you get on a shuttle to the building. The worse part was the people that woulad arrive after you and thing that they should be the first on the shuttle. When returning you again have to get on a shuttle to go from the building to the parking lot and if you choose port parking then you actually get another bus to the parking building.
Once the new terminal is built it will be much better.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old April 5th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

For sheer ease it is Port Everglades.

For pure enjoyment it is Hong Kong.

My worst has been San Diego. This was two years ago and supposedly there is a new cruise terminal but the old one was basically open air and a PIA to get to. The taxi had to drop you off farther down the street and you lugged your luggage about a block with people swarming you asking to take it. These were not dock workers but people trying to make a buck. To make things worse it was raining and we were soaked by the time we made it into the terminal "building" and checked in. The luggage sat out in the rain until it was loaded and when it arrived at the cabin it was wet. Luckily the suitcases did their job and the contents were dry. There were little wet spots on the carpeting for the next two days where luggage had been delivered and then sat and dripped.

Santos (Sao Paulo) was "interesting". It was basically a free for all and I was lucky that my wife is from Brasil and spoke Portuguese because we needed luggage tags and the person with them wasn't easy to find. But overall it was better than San Diego.

If you are flying Galveston isn't an "easy" place to get to. It depends on what Houston airport you into. The transfer is expensive and private transportation is also expensive. If you are driving it's very easy.

Take care and enjoy the next cruise.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 6th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Cruiser View Post
Although I have only taken land trips so far I can say with absolute certainty San Diego wins. I was there twice and unlike all other cruise ship port cities I have been to it looks like it was built for cruisers. Although other cities such as Seattle and Boston are good for walkers, if you don't have a car, you can't beat San Diego for a pre-cruise stay. Why Princess ships never embark there, I would love to know.

My travel history includes Seattle, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, NYC, Boston, and a few hours in Tampa, Baltimore, and Jacksonville. If I could only go back to one of those ports it would definitely be San Diego. Why don't more cruise lines realize it is ideal for their passengers who like to fly early and don't want to rent cars? Look at a map of SD, Princess!
That's funny San Diego was just what I was going to say. The airport is right there so easy access to the port. Plus the port is so small it's not super crowded it was one of my fastest embarkations.

San Diego is a great place to stay anyway because you have San Diego Zoo, Seaworld and a lot of nice beaches. I have cruised out of every California port: San Francisco, Long Beach, San Pedro, and San Diego. San Francisco is neat because you cruise under the golden gate bridge. However, lots of fog so you could cross under the bridge and not see it on a foggy day. Also San Francisco is very crowded and difficult to drive in city.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 6th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
For sheer ease it is Port Everglades.

For pure enjoyment it is Hong Kong.

My worst has been San Diego. This was two years ago and supposedly there is a new cruise terminal but the old one was basically open air and a PIA to get to. The taxi had to drop you off farther down the street and you lugged your luggage about a block with people swarming you asking to take it. These were not dock workers but people trying to make a buck. To make things worse it was raining and we were soaked by the time we made it into the terminal "building" and checked in. The luggage sat out in the rain until it was loaded and when it arrived at the cabin it was wet. Luckily the suitcases did their job and the contents were dry. There were little wet spots on the carpeting for the next two days where luggage had been delivered and then sat and dripped.

Santos (Sao Paulo) was "interesting". It was basically a free for all and I was lucky that my wife is from Brasil and spoke Portuguese because we needed luggage tags and the person with them wasn't easy to find. But overall it was better than San Diego.

If you are flying Galveston isn't an "easy" place to get to. It depends on what Houston airport you into. The transfer is expensive and private transportation is also expensive. If you are driving it's very easy.

Take care and enjoy the next cruise.
Mike
Wow we have a completely different experience crusing out of San Diego. Probably because my hubby and I drove in and they had a great shuttle service from the parking gargage to the cruise. So we didn't habe to haul our bags all over the place. Here is my review of the cruise I took out of San Diego.
Carnival Reviews - Cruise Ship reviews by Cruisemates Readers

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 6th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

To answer Queen of Oakville, I found flying into Newark NJ worked well. One cab through the tunnel and you're at the cruise port....about a 20 minute ride.
Old April 7th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
That's funny San Diego was just what I was going to say. The airport is right there so easy access to the port. Plus the port is so small it's not super crowded it was one of my fastest embarkations.
San Diego is convenient if you're flying, as you say. In fact you've probably seen the sign on the I-5 that says, I swear,

CRUISE SHIPS USE AIRPORT EXIT

Which really does get you checking the ol' rear view mirror.

I really have to go along with Venice. Hard to beat. And if you know a few tricks, getting there from the airport is not a big deal. But of course if you fly into Venice and go straight to the ship without stopping for a few days first, you've made a huge mistake.

Also like Barcelona very much, and the sailaway from Dover (White Cliffs and all) is quite lovely. New York and San Francisco are also great, for obvious reasons. None of the Florida ports have much to offer, except that Lauderdale is very convenient to the airport. Bayonne is a dump. Never sailed out of Hong Kong but have been there a couple times and can imagine that would be a great sailaway too. Another very nice sailaway is from Vancouver. Galveston is a fun place to spend a day or two pre or post cruise, but the port itself is ordinary. Baltimore is also nothing to write home about, but if you live in the mid-Atlantic it's sure convenient. Boston is another place where the port facilites are no big deal, but if you can spend some time in Boston, that's always fun.

Probably the least convenient and least attractive port is Rome Civitivecchia. Not at all close to the city, and a pretty good haul to Fiumicino airport as well.
Old April 7th, 2012, 05:30 AM
First Mate

Ar...i love your signature quote!

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Old April 7th, 2012, 05:41 AM
First Mate

FLL gets my vote for pretty beaches and Galveston just because its close-by.

CarnivalTriumph
Old April 14th, 2012, 05:40 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post

San Diego is a great place to stay anyway because you have San Diego Zoo, Seaworld and a lot of nice beaches. I have cruised out of every California port: San Francisco, Long Beach, San Pedro, and San Diego. San Francisco is neat because you cruise under the golden gate bridge. However, lots of fog so you could cross under the bridge and not see it on a foggy day. Also San Francisco is very crowded and difficult to drive in city.
We did cruise out of San Diego once and it was quite nice. We stayed three nights in a BW that was only a block from the pier, and we had a nice time in San Diego.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old April 14th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Admiral

Of the Florida ports, the sailaway from Port Everglades is the best IMO, closely followed by Miami. For ease of embarkation, I like Tampa, closely followed by Port Canaveral. I'll take any of 'em, just to be aboard another cruise!

"SKY"
Old April 14th, 2012, 09:46 AM
First Mate

lol...I know right?! There was a shipping boat floating through the ports oftheMaumee river here the other day and I had to fight the urge to jump on board jjust to get back on a ship!!! ROFL

Leopold Stokowski