CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Badly Reported Story (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/388671-badly-reported-story.html)

Paul Motter April 5th, 2012 09:28 PM

Badly Reported Story

Wow...

Talk about a half-baked job of reporting. The writer takes an unverified and flatly denied claim against a cruise line and writes it up as if it was fact - and then basically says, "it doesn't matter whether or not it is true - just look at what these lawyers have to say about it..."

And then he quotes all the well-known cruise-industry bashing lawyers from the last 20 years.

Overhead Bin - Strip-search lawsuit exposes paradox of cruise ship passenger rights

Trip April 5th, 2012 10:56 PM

I read this yesterday, but, from another source, that is very anti cruise line...The story made my jaw drop on many levels..:(

I think, especially this year, when a reporter hears the phrase, cruise ship, they know their readership/hits, will increase, due to all the troubles the industry has seen.

Mike M April 6th, 2012 09:41 AM

After the first three, small, paragraphs you know the claim is bull and for Carnival to comment on current litigation basically proves it. For Carnival to comment on current litigation they risk further litigation and monetary damages if the charges are true. They wouldn't risk this if they had any doubt the allegations were false.

Yesterday I received an email, in my Cruisemates email, from someone pimping their "tell all, insider secrets" cruise book. There was an excerpt from it and after reading part of the excerpt I just shook my head and hit the delete key. It was embellishment and bad writing. The sad thing is that people will probably buy this. Literally and figuratively.

Sensationalism sells and the truth is boring. Sad fact of the times.

Take care,
Mike

Phil&Liz April 6th, 2012 08:31 PM

The Twitter feed that I RT'd with that story was from a well known "maritime lawyer" that often highlights the bad side of things.

Future Cruiser April 6th, 2012 11:46 PM

My travel agent thinks the media generally is negative in its cruise reporting. He cited a case of cruise ship passengers getting swine flu during their shore excursion and noted that had nothing to do with the fact they were on a cruise because they got it in port. A number of veteran cruisers agreed the media generally paints an ugly picture that is not deserved when they hear the term "cruise ship."

But can you blame the media for wanting to say something bad about cruising? A lot of people are more interested in Carnival's PR headaches (dropped stocks, fewer sales, a pending lawsuit, etc.) than Costa's newest Concordia class ship currently being built.

Aidan April 21st, 2012 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1423573)
Wow...

Talk about a half-baked job of reporting. The writer takes an unverified and flatly denied claim against a cruise line and writes it up as if it was fact . . .

He does? Can you point out the sentence where the writer says the girl's complaint is "fact"?

A teenage girl is suing Carnival Cruise Lines and three of its employees, claiming she was interrogated . . .

The alleged incident . . .

According to the complaint . . .

She was then allegedly forced . . .

Donna April 21st, 2012 07:27 PM

Gosh, they would do or say anything to sell a story, even it if is not fact....Sure makes you wonder..