Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Admiral

Default Cruisemates and cruising

When you cruise do you generally ask people if they are familiar with Cruisemates ? I always do .
Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2012, 11:25 PM
First Mate

I haven't yet but i think I am going to start!! Good idea.

CarnivalTriumph
Old April 7th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Admiral

Yes I do.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old April 8th, 2012, 01:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Regular cruisers will have "heard" of it, but most have not.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 8th, 2012, 01:32 AM
Captain

Most I talk to havent even heard of the bigger Cruise Board.
The shift is to social media these days anyway. (not that BBs arent social media, theyre just considered "old school")
Old April 8th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Admiral

I generally mention cruise chat/message/forums when I am on a cruise at some point, but to date I have never met anyone who has the slightest idea what I am talking about, the nearest I have come is people saying they wouldn't go near a site like that.
Old April 8th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Captain

I was sitting at the Champagne Lounge on Freedom of the Seas and we got to talking to this guy across from us. We mentioned that we worked in the operating room and as a lawyer and the guy said that he had seen our profile on Cruisemates. We still communicate with him. Go figure:o
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14

Booked:Freedom OTS 10/14
Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15

Old April 8th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I've met a number of people who know and post on this site and others. I have to agree that Social Media is changing the paradigm and message boards and chat rooms are becoming less popular.

On last month's friends and family cruise I had the group make sure they read our boards and yes they even read the "other" board to learn about cruising and ask questions.

The sad part was that a few were rethinking the cruise once they read, mostly the other board, because as they said" "I don't want to be around people who are so uptight and picky." or "I didn't know I needed a Bachelor's degree before I went on vacation." They thought they would have water thrown at them if they dared smoke a cigar on the balcony (perfectly allowed) or if they were seen wearing anything made of denim. They went and had a wonderful time.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 8th, 2012, 09:47 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to KellyKayden

Honestly I had never heard of tis site until Todd told me about it on te ship. Now you all are stuck with me and you have him to thank!..lol

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Old April 8th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Admiral

Kelly, we are not stuck with you. We are fortunate that you decided to join us.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old April 8th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Admiral

Default Cruisemates

"That other board" seems to be more active in Roll Calls and Meet and Greets. Some cruises have quite a lot of them on board, and the CD will even come greet them.

I am afraid CruiseMates has a lower profile so far. We need to work on that.

Usually a comment on board like "I follow the CruiseMates bulletin board (or "that other" board)" gets a ho-hum repsonse.

Here is a thought -- Bet Paul could contract with a novelty company to make some spiffy name tags with the CM logo on them. Or, in fact, just set up a downloadable PDF file to print your own ...

If he wants to really get some good publicity, send them out to members after, say, their 100th post.

Could even have gold stars to put on them for every 500 posts or something!

How about it, boss?

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old April 8th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Default The Other Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
"That other board" seems to be more active in Roll Calls and Meet and Greets. Some cruises have quite a lot of them on board, and the CD will even come greet them.

I am afraid CruiseMates has a lower profile so far. We need to work on that.

Usually a comment on board like "I follow the CruiseMates bulletin board (or "that other" board)" gets a ho-hum repsonse.

Here is a thought -- Bet Paul could contract with a novelty company to make some spiffy name tags with the CM logo on them. Or, in fact, just set up a downloadable PDF file to print your own ...

If he wants to really get some good publicity, send them out to members after, say, their 100th post.

Could even have gold stars to put on them for every 500 posts or something!

How about it, boss?

There are 16 on line cruise message boards .

On my last cruise ,last week, I asked every person that I had a conversation with if they are familiar with Cruisemates .Only one person said yes and that person said he posts on CM as well as 4 other boards .
I personally read posts on all the cruise boards but choose to post on CM .
Old April 8th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Admiral

I mention Cm on all my cruises to people I meet, some have heard, some have not, but I always tell them to check out my reviews and pictures, they just may be in there!

donna
Old April 8th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Admiral

I met and became friendly with 4 couples on our last cruise none of whom ever heard of CM ,they promised however that they would look .
Old April 8th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Admiral

I frequently mention Cruisemates to cruisers and people who've never been in a row boat simply because to me you're family and I love talking about how supportive and wonderful my "family" is!

Many simply cannot believe there are that many wonderful people out there.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old April 8th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Interesting thought...get stars for the number of posts...I was banned from one site for "Posting way too much"....
Old April 8th, 2012, 01:01 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
Kelly, we are not stuck with you. We are fortunate that you decided to join us.

TM
Why thank you I am very glad to be here

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Old April 8th, 2012, 01:11 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
I frequently mention Cruisemates to cruisers and people who've never been in a row boat simply because to me you're family and I love talking about how supportive and wonderful my "family" is!

Many simply cannot believe there are that many wonderful people out there.
I am so happy to keep in touch with you Todd! I consider everyone I got to spen time with on the cuise as part of my 'extended family' as well

On a side note, you all are mentioning other cruise boards...there were a few people I met who lived overseas that I wouldn't mind trying to keep in touch with but didn't get a chance to exchange info. Are there like "keep in touch" boards that anyone knows of?

Leopold Stokowski
Old April 8th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Default Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyKayden View Post
I am so happy to keep in touch with you Todd! I consider everyone I got to spen time with on the cuise as part of my 'extended family' as well

On a side note, you all are mentioning other cruise boards...there were a few people I met who lived overseas that I wouldn't mind trying to keep in touch with but didn't get a chance to exchange info. Are there like "keep in touch" boards that anyone knows of?

If you met these people in a Meet and Greet the person who organized the get together should have everyones e-mail info .
Old April 9th, 2012, 06:06 AM
First Mate

Thank you!

Also, to answer the question at hand, I woulld wear a cruisemates nametag to help get the name out there.

Leopold Stokowski
Old April 9th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Admiral

A great idea re the name tag
Old April 9th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Admiral

I don't make a point of mentioning it, but don't avoid it either if it comes up in conversation.

I do use Cruise Critic for roll calls, simply because that's where people congregate for that. We're leaving on a TA next week and I just looked at the string over there. At this moment there are 4517 posts for our cruise alone, and something like 325 people signed up for the special party.

Now, that's both good news and bad news. The good news is that it's a terrific way to get involved with private tours, and we've joined two of them for the upcoming cruise. And because somebody always takes on the job of keeping "the list," it's pretty easy to spot others who are on the trip from your general neighborhood. I just put together a dinner in downtown DC that we did last week and it was fun meeting folks ahead of time.

The bad news is that it's a real chore to slog through all that stuff, which sometimes piles up at the rate of two or three pages of posts a day. And a lot of the posts are really person-to-person e-mails which have no general interest. We were away in February and very busy in March and I didn't look at the site between the end of January and early April. I didn't even try to go back and read all the stuff I'd missed. I'd still be doing it.
Old April 9th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Do you go to Roll calls on the numerous other cruise boards ?
Old April 9th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Do you go to Roll calls on the numerous other cruise boards ?
I usually check them here, but right now for our cruise the scoreboard reads:

CC 4517
CM 3

I Don't bother with the others. One robust string (to put it mildly) is ample.

Kuki explained some time ago the reason for the discrepancy, and I understand. That's just the way it is.
Old April 9th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Admiral

When I cruise , I really join the Meet and Greet on the other
cruise site because it very active , I wish it would be more active here,
Old April 9th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Admiral

Default M&G sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl View Post
When I cruise , I really join the Meet and Greet on the other
cruise site because it very active , I wish it would be more active here,

Friends of mine who are avid cruisers join the Meet and Greet from all 16 sites .When I was on a cruise in 2010 many people attending the M&G were from CM but did not post on the CM M&G board.
Old April 9th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have the problem that if I mention Cruisemates on the Roll Call, on the other board, I get banned. I motioned that I was with the Cruisemates Group on the Carnival Breeze, June 27th sailing, and was banned for ten days. A couple of months later I wrote Cruisemates again and was banned for 30 days. I no longer participate in the Roll Call.

I know that promoting another site is not allowed here of there but a little more leeway is needed in Roll Calls. We will not ban someone for talking about the other site in a Roll Call unless they directly solicit others to go to that site. Even then we'd probably just edit the post and not ban. It is rare that we ban someone other than spammers and those that threaten or harass moderators or other users.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 9th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Mike ,as you know there are more than two cruise boards . I read posts on all of them .I really do not think that the names of the specific competitors should be discussed on here .

When I brought up Cruisemates on my most recent cruise several people indicated that they prefer boards that only discuss the cruise industry .
Old April 10th, 2012, 04:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I bought a CruiseMates tee shirt. I wore it on the CM cruise on Carnival Glory. I had a few people say they knew the site. Some said they belonged to the "other" site. I still have the shirt, just waiting for the next CM cruise I sign up for.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old April 10th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Admiral

Default CM tee shirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2 View Post
I bought a CruiseMates tee shirt. I wore it on the CM cruise on Carnival Glory. I had a few people say they knew the site. Some said they belonged to the "other" sites. I still have the shirt, just waiting for the next CM cruise I sign up for.

Laura
Where are CM tee shirts sold ?