Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old April 15th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,199
Default If you were the POTUS

If you were the incoming PTUS what would be the first 5 things you would do ?

1)Bring home all the troops from Afghanistan .

2)Close all the American military bases ourside the US and re-open all the closed bases .


3)Enact a law mandating that any person caught hunting for sport serves a jail term of at least 5 years.

4)Legalize marijuana

5)Legalize Prostitution
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old April 15th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 798
Default

I see #4+5 are there to reward the troops from #1+2, but then they can't come home and hunt some ducks without going to jail?

WTF kind of country are you trying to run here lol
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old April 15th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Paul B's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 2,834
Default

The thing is, the President (I hate the term POTUS) couldn't do any of those things by himself without the help of the COTUS (Congress?), and it might be overturned by the SCOTUS.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old April 15th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,199
Default

I am paying homage to my friend "Venice" ,he was the one to first use that term on this site .
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old April 15th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Kuki's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Right here :)
Posts: 22,384
Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospace View Post
I see #4+5 are there to reward the troops from #1+2, but then they can't come home and hunt some ducks without going to jail?

WTF kind of country are you trying to run here lol
Henry wants to make sure the left is represented by as many KUKI ideas as the right is.
__________________
C U @ C,
Kuki
CruiseMates' Staff Writer
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old April 15th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Palm Coast, Florida
Posts: 19,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Henry wants to make sure the left is represented by as many KUKI ideas as the right is.
The right and the left have plenty of KUKI ideas. It's the common sense that is lacking.

TM
__________________
CRUISES
Century 4/1998
Mercury 4/2000+4/2006+7/2007
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old April 15th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,199
Default

Today I saw a guy wearing a tee shirt :

I Love My Country ,I fear my Government .
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old April 17th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Paul Motter's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: in my office!
Posts: 10,884
Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default

I like your comment about hunting not being a sport.

If I were Potus I would try to do something about the continuing housing crisis and the cost of fuel.

I hear the economy is getting better, but if it gets much better we could be in for a real bout of inflation - which is one of the woprst scenarios of all.

By the way - how many of you just paid your taxes? Did you notice health care premiums for self-employed are no longer deductible?

So, not only did I pay more for health insurance, I also had to pay taxes on the money that I earned and then spent on health insurance. When is this whole "health care reform" thing supposed to start?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old April 17th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fair Oaks Ranch, TX
Posts: 154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
If you were the incoming PTUS what would be the first 5 things you would do ?

1)Bring home all the troops from Afghanistan .

2)Close all the American military bases ourside the US and re-open all the closed bases .


3)Enact a law mandating that any person caught hunting for sport serves a jail term of at least 5 years.

4)Legalize marijuana

5)Legalize Prostitution

To most people I know, them's fightin' words right there. We're pretty much 0-5 on seeing eye to eye, but I guess that's what makes life interesting. As a man who's never smoked a joint or hired a prostitute, but who does own a hunting ranch, and is ex-military, and the father of a military son who's been a few places and seen a few things, your Presidential priorities sure don't line up with mine at all.

Here's a stab at my priorities.


1) Ensure that our borders are safe by whatever means necessary. I don't think re-opening a bunch of un-needed moth-balled bases will play any role there. While I don't agree with every overseas military venture, as a whole, they are pretty critical. Stopping free flow across our borders would be one step I'd take. It can be done... other countries do far better jobs. We just have too many political agendas that stop it from happening.

2) Submit a fiscally sound budget for a change of pace (one that is balanced) and work to actually get it passed. Quit spending money that we just don't have. Pretty novel concept.

3) Work to end the country's entitlement mentality. That mindset alone is apt to bring us down. (See point 2). Help should be given where needed, but we've gone way beyond that. At some point we'll all be checking our mailboxes for free money, and nobody will actually go to work anymore.

4) Make government SMALLER. We don't need our federal government to do everything for us, and dictate every aspect of our lives.

5) Redefine what a politician is. Start with term limits. If we have to legalize prostitutes, can't we at least offset that by outlawing "Career Polititians"? Then work to pass a Constitutional Amendment that states that lawmakers are not to be exempted from ANY laws they pass. And lawmaker pay should be commensurate with work... as in no more lifetime full pay retirement perks for one term lawmakers.

I'm kinda funning with you a bit Henry, because we pretty obviously come from far opposite ends of the political spectrum, but it's all good. We are likely both products of our environment, and South Texas is a bit more conservative than your neck of the woods. Neither of our lists has a snowballs chance, but hey, we can all dream...

Gotta close now so I can pack up the truck to go hunting before it's banned. It is spring turkey season after all.

Doug
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old April 17th, 2012, 08:02 PM
KellyKayden's Avatar
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 488
Send a message via AIM to KellyKayden
Default

1. Housing market....for sure. I am a lending officer for a bank so this hits close to home. By the way, just putting it out there....if you are buying or refinancing, please be nice to your lender. These new federal regulations are not their fault!

2. Healthcare.....my oldest (7 year old) has juvenile diabetes and the out of pocket cost to keep him is embarassing to charge to a hard working family in this country

3. Fuel.........I drive quite a bit for work

4. Education......music programs are necessary, I don't care what anyone says

5. um....I can't think of one...lol

And hey, why are we talking about this??Remember, there are three things you never discuss with your friends.....religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin

heehee
__________________
NCL Epic 2012

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old April 17th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,199
Default South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
To most people I know, them's fightin' words right there. We're pretty much 0-5 on seeing eye to eye, but I guess that's what makes life interesting. As a man who's never smoked a joint or hired a prostitute, but who does own a hunting ranch, and is ex-military, and the father of a military son who's been a few places and seen a few things, your Presidential priorities sure don't line up with mine at all.

Here's a stab at my priorities.


1) Ensure that our borders are safe by whatever means necessary. I don't think re-opening a bunch of un-needed moth-balled bases will play any role there. While I don't agree with every overseas military venture, as a whole, they are pretty critical. Stopping free flow across our borders would be one step I'd take. It can be done... other countries do far better jobs. We just have too many political agendas that stop it from happening.

2) Submit a fiscally sound budget for a change of pace (one that is balanced) and work to actually get it passed. Quit spending money that we just don't have. Pretty novel concept.

3) Work to end the country's entitlement mentality. That mindset alone is apt to bring us down. (See point 2). Help should be given where needed, but we've gone way beyond that. At some point we'll all be checking our mailboxes for free money, and nobody will actually go to work anymore.

4) Make government SMALLER. We don't need our federal government to do everything for us, and dictate every aspect of our lives.

5) Redefine what a politician is. Start with term limits. If we have to legalize prostitutes, can't we at least offset that by outlawing "Career Polititians"? Then work to pass a Constitutional Amendment that states that lawmakers are not to be exempted from ANY laws they pass. And lawmaker pay should be commensurate with work... as in no more lifetime full pay retirement perks for one term lawmakers.

I'm kinda funning with you a bit Henry, because we pretty obviously come from far opposite ends of the political spectrum, but it's all good. We are likely both products of our environment, and South Texas is a bit more conservative than your neck of the woods. Neither of our lists has a snowballs chance, but hey, we can all dream...

Gotta close now so I can pack up the truck to go hunting before it's banned. It is spring turkey season after all.

Doug
I am sitting at my computer wearing a teeshirt from Kemah ,Texas .
I have never smoked a joint and never hired a prostitute .
The man who was a second father to me was a career army officer .He entered the armed services in 1941 on Dec.8 and served continuously till the mandatory retirement age.
Nearly all of my friends fought in Viet Nam including a very close friend who is a CM regular.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old April 18th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fair Oaks Ranch, TX
Posts: 154
Default

Like I said Henry, its all good. I think its great that we can have different perspectives on here. Nobody said we always had to agree 100% to get along. And I was certainly not trying to insult you in any way or imply anything. I was aiming for tongue in cheek, but may have come across a bit too snarky. Not my intent.

If this country gets to the point where we're not allowed to have different perspectives and kick them around civilly we're in big trouble.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old April 18th, 2012, 01:06 AM
ship2shore's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 915
Default

The sad part is: any politician elected will serve himself first, then (if there's anything left) serve his country. Trying anything that runs "against the grain" will just likely get you shot from a grassy noll.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old April 18th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Marsdude's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 763
Default

Well, I certainly agree with #4. I live in a state where medical MJ is legal and I am a card carrying patient. I also legally grow it. Those of us who use MJ on a regular basis, and many of us are older folks with conditions that the MJ really helps with, understand how ridiculous it is that the stuff isn't legal nation wide, regulated, and taxed!

Henry, I agree with most of your items, not sure about the bases though.

I think, however, that I would like to see our leadership focus on some more fundamental issues that we face. Things I would like to see addressed are:

1. Reduce or perhaps eliminate the amount of access and financial support that lobbyists and large corporations have with our leaders.

2. Reduce our dependence on oil by doing everything possible to move as fast as we can toward alternative energy sources. I see this as a national security issue.

3. Institute a flat tax system where everyone pays the same percentage of tax.

4. Develop a health care system that would provide health care to everyone. Period! Perhaps expand Medicare.

5. Draft Constitutional amendment that would place barriers to the Government interfering in individuals personal lives. This would include privacy rights.

If I had a 6 it would be to follow the lead of our founding fathers and GET RELIGION OUT OF OUR NATIONAL POLITICS!

A word about "BIG GOVERNMENT." I think most people realize that our government is bloated and sticks their noses where they should not. However, we do need to have oversight and regulation on a national scale. I think it is important to not just call for smaller government but to be specific in what we mean.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old April 18th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,518
Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default

I agree with some of what all of you have to say.

Henry, Most of the closed posts have been turned over to the locals to expand their businesses, so I don't think it would be fair to take them back.

Many posts around the world have also been closed, and only those who serve our needs are still open.

Legalizing the use of girls, women for sex with strange men in an age of Aids, I don't think is ever a good idea. Programs to help these women get on there feet, and have a job with respect, would be better, and teaching these most of the time married men to get their sorry butts home to their families, is even better.

Legalizing pot is something that I have mixed feelings for. I have read the stories about the need for pot for those suffering illiness, and how it helps them, but the wide use of it, I am afraid would be a major problem. I guess like everything else, it would have it's good and bad sides.

Henry, Some of the best people in the world are hunters. They always eat what they shoot, or in our case, keep the freezers stocked at the homeless shelter.

Doug, What is the name of your ranch, and is it open to the public?

Henry, I know you are a wise man, so I would love to hear what you would really want the new President do once in office. It can't really be the things you listed.

I hope the new president will use common sense. To live in the day, and not so much the future, until things are under control again.
__________________
Ecstasy 2005
Conquest 2005
Elation 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old April 18th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Palm Coast, Florida
Posts: 19,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
The sad part is: any politician elected will serve himself first, then (if there's anything left) serve his country. Trying anything that runs "against the grain" will just likely get you shot from a grassy noll.
You have hit the nail on the head!

TM
__________________
CRUISES
Century 4/1998
Mercury 4/2000+4/2006+7/2007
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old April 18th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,199
Default LuAnne ,et al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
I agree with some of what all of you have to say.

Henry, Most of the closed posts have been turned over to the locals to expand their businesses, so I don't think it would be fair to take them back.

Many posts around the world have also been closed, and only those who serve our needs are still open.

Legalizing the use of girls, women for sex with strange men in an age of Aids, I don't think is ever a good idea. Programs to help these women get on there feet, and have a job with respect, would be better, and teaching these most of the time married men to get their sorry butts home to their families, is even better.

Legalizing pot is something that I have mixed feelings for. I have read the stories about the need for pot for those suffering illiness, and how it helps them, but the wide use of it, I am afraid would be a major problem. I guess like everything else, it would have it's good and bad sides.

Henry, Some of the best people in the world are hunters. They always eat what they shoot, or in our case, keep the freezers stocked at the homeless shelter.

Doug, What is the name of your ranch, and is it open to the public?

Henry, I know you are a wise man, so I would love to hear what you would really want the new President do once in office. It can't really be the things you listed.

I hope the new president will use common sense. To live in the day, and not so much the future, until things are under control again.
We are all God's creatures regardless of how many legs we have or if we have wings or tails .I do not believe that we humans were put on earth to kill animals .
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old April 18th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,199
Default Bases:abroad and in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdude View Post
Well, I certainly agree with #4. I live in a state where medical MJ is legal and I am a card carrying patient. I also legally grow it. Those of us who use MJ on a regular basis, and many of us are older folks with conditions that the MJ really helps with, understand how ridiculous it is that the stuff isn't legal nation wide, regulated, and taxed!

Henry, I agree with most of your items, not sure about the bases though.

I think, however, that I would like to see our leadership focus on some more fundamental issues that we face. Things I would like to see addressed are:

1. Reduce or perhaps eliminate the amount of access and financial support that lobbyists and large corporations have with our leaders.

2. Reduce our dependence on oil by doing everything possible to move as fast as we can toward alternative energy sources. I see this as a national security issue.

3. Institute a flat tax system where everyone pays the same percentage of tax.

4. Develop a health care system that would provide health care to everyone. Period! Perhaps expand Medicare.

5. Draft Constitutional amendment that would place barriers to the Government interfering in individuals personal lives. This would include privacy rights.

If I had a 6 it would be to follow the lead of our founding fathers and GET RELIGION OUT OF OUR NATIONAL POLITICS!

A word about "BIG GOVERNMENT." I think most people realize that our government is bloated and sticks their noses where they should not. However, we do need to have oversight and regulation on a national scale. I think it is important to not just call for smaller government but to be specific in what we mean.
IMHO ,there is no need for the USA to have bases in any country other than the USA . We will not be attacked by these countries .
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old April 18th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,518
Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default

Henry,

Have you ever serviced in the military? Read anything about military placements?

Are you a veggie only person? No meat at all?
__________________
Ecstasy 2005
Conquest 2005
Elation 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old April 18th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,199
Default LuAnne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
Henry,

Have you ever serviced in the military? Read anything about military placements?

Are you a veggie only person? No meat at all?

I have never served in the Military but if you recall the e-mail I sent you about 6 months ago which I know you read even though you did not respond to me I stated the following :

1) Nearly all of my friends and relatives have served in the military .

2) Four of my cousins (siblings) enlisted on December 8 ,1941 .Three served until the end of WWII ,one spent the rest of his life in military service.

There is a difference between individuals who kill for sport and those who kill for food.
Teaching children to hunt and kill to me is disgusting .
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old April 18th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,199
Default The new President ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
Henry, I know you are a wise man, so I would love to hear what you would really want the new President do once in office. It can't really be the things you listed.

I hope the new president will use common sense. To live in the day, and not so much the future, until things are under control again.

You are assuming that Romney will beat Obama . I don't see this happening . I personally am not in favor of Romney being the new President or Obama continuing in office .Therefore anything I would hope a President would do is not likely going to occur .

The last time I voted for a candidate that I thought could make a difference was in 1968 and that person was not elected .
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old April 18th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,518
Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default

No Henry you assumed wrong. No matter who wins will be the new president. That is what I mean.

I never received your e-mail, that I remember.

I still would like to see your wish list for the new President. You started the thread, and always have some insight, so I would like to hear it.
__________________
Ecstasy 2005
Conquest 2005
Elation 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old April 18th, 2012, 04:00 PM
ship2shore's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 915
Default

I'm with Henry on this one: (with a clarification)

If you do Hunt, eat what you kill. Same goes for fishing. Animals were not put on this earth to enjoy killing. Hunting ducks with cannons just doesnt work for me. If you want to hunt bear for sport with a bowie knife, then THATS a sport (and good luck to you).
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old April 18th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fair Oaks Ranch, TX
Posts: 154
Default

Luanne,

To answer your question, my place is a relatively small (by Texas standards) family ranch, not a big commercial operation. I have friends out, or host wounded warrior or youth hunts as the opportunities arise. The great outdoors... not for everyone, but then, I'd go crazy trying to sit through an opera.


Henry,

I have to say, I feel you are wrong about God's intentions on meat eating / veganism / hunting. Instead, I feel that the anti-hunting / animal rights movement is a lifestyle, or a moral code adopted by people in relatively recent years. That is fine as long as they don't feel obligated to change me too. If you believe in God, why would He give us canine teeth just to chew vegitables? Pretty inefficient. True herbivores have an entirely different kind of teeth, as well as different digestive sytems. If a person choses to be a vegitarian, that is great, it can be made to work, but it's not part of the great design, or our biological make-up (however you choose to view it).

Most of us enjoy steak and lobster night on our cruises and that doesn't make us disgusting, or evil, or anything of the sort. People have been hunter / gatherers since the beginning of time, and I don't see that changing any time soon. Even if people want to buy their meat from the grocery, or have it served in a restaurant instead of actually hunting it, it all comes down to the same thing. That filet on your plate did not grow on a berry bush.

You apparently live a vegitarian lifestyle. I don't, and have no desire to. I won't try to change you. Don't expect to change me either. I vote we all just get along.

Doug
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old April 18th, 2012, 04:13 PM
ship2shore's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 915
Default

Doug S> You confuse vegitaranism with the issue being discussed. I know hunters who shoot game and leave it where they killed it (or cut the head off and mount it). If you eat your kill, I have no issues - I eat what the butcher kills. Thats a huge stretch to say anti-sport-hunting=vegitatianism. What kind of sport is it anyways, when you have a cannon and your opponant does not?
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old April 18th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fair Oaks Ranch, TX
Posts: 154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
I'm with Henry on this one: (with a clarification)

If you do Hunt, eat what you kill. Same goes for fishing. Animals were not put on this earth to enjoy killing. Hunting ducks with cannons just doesnt work for me. If you want to hunt bear for sport with a bowie knife, then THATS a sport (and good luck to you).

Ship2shore,

I can live with that. That's pretty much the rule on my ranch. You shoot it you eat it. Almost all hunters I know are like that. Don't really respect those few that are not. There are a few exceptions, though. Many a farmer has shot a raccoon in the cornfield, or a fox in the henhouse. And would you kill a rattlesnake or copperhead found near your kid's swingset? I'd guess yes.

As far as 'Sport', I think people get caught up on that word. I don't consider NASCAR a sport either. You're just driving a souped-up car in a big circle for goodness sake. Call it a passtime, a hobby, whatever. Call it what you like. People also call some things 'The Arts' which I don't consider too artistic. My opinion. Such is life.

Doug
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old April 18th, 2012, 05:05 PM
ship2shore's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 915
Default

quote DougS> "Many a farmer has shot a raccoon in the cornfield, or a fox in the henhouse. And would you kill a rattlesnake or copperhead found near your kid's swingset? I'd guess yes."

That would be killing out of necessity. If relocation is impossible, then Yes I would, with the exception of the raccoon. Trap and release..
I was being a bit facetious with the word "sport".
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old April 18th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fair Oaks Ranch, TX
Posts: 154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
Doug S> You confuse vegitaranism with the issue being discussed. I know hunters who shoot game and leave it where they killed it (or cut the head off and mount it). If you eat your kill, I have no issues - I eat what the butcher kills. Thats a huge stretch to say anti-sport-hunting=vegitatianism. What kind of sport is it anyways, when you have a cannon and your opponant does not?

You are right... got side tracked on the animal rights thing. Just pointing out that the food you get at the grocery probably had it at least as bad, if not worse in life than hunted game. I guess those animals should have rights too.

There are game laws in Texas that outlaw wasting a game resource. Get a hefty fine if you cut the head off a deer or other game animal and mount it, but leave the carcass laying there. Actually, from what I see. that's only a common practice among poachers, or maybe farmers trying to rid their ranches of invading feral hogs. Many hunters donate meat to "Hunters for the Hungry", or similar organizations if they don't want it, so there is another way for it to go to a good use.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old April 18th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Paul Motter's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: in my office!
Posts: 10,884
Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default

Why do end up with so many banal conversations in this area where everyone knows that people are going to disagree and exactly what the arguments will be?

I thought the original post had some merit - discussing the issues of the day, but now we are debating whether hunting is a "sport?" I think there is a thing called "sport hunting" but I don't think it has ever been a competitive event.

I personally don't like hunting, I think it is cruel to sentient animals that are beautiful and peaceful creatures that add beuaty to our planet.

I especially think trophy hunting is awful - like poachers of ivory in Africa. What a waste - those people should be jailed for life.

But do I worry about every dog or kitten that gets born to feral animals living in our cities? no. You have to control that or they will spread disease, etc.

Do I worry about how cows and pigs are treated? I would like to see them treated more humanely, but mostly for sanitary reasons. I don't think they are pondering the theory of relativity while they chew their cud, either. I think some animals were created to hunt, and some were meant to be food.

Would I try to teach a lion to become a vegetarian? No, it's pointless. How about a shark? Really?

I do think it would be a good idea for people to cut back on meat a lot - they would be healthier, and the planet would be better (cows consume almost as much energy as cars - roughly speaking). We know how to make delicious food from grains now, we should do it more.

We should also stop playing golf - more water is wasted on golf courses than people in AZ.

There - that's what I do as president - outlaw golf, restrict steak eating to twice per week max, put all poachers in prison for life, treat cows better...

and fix the housing market, the jobs problem and the national debt.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old April 18th, 2012, 05:15 PM
ship2shore's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 915
Default

Hey Paul... I have gout. No need for a law.
Twice a week for red meat is about all I can get away with. Maybe the law should be "Everyone has to have gout" huh?
As for "competitive" sport hunting, hunters do count the number of "points" on their bucks. The more points, the "better" hunter you are, presumably.

Last edited by ship2shore; April 18th, 2012 at 05:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The next POTUS Lakers Fan Chit - Chat for Cruisers 37 May 6th, 2012 02:48 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:42 AM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1