Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2012, 02:24 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to KellyKayden
Default any musical fans here?

So....I am a lover of musicals, especially obscure ones, however my favorite is "phantom of the opea". Sir andrew lloyd webber made a sequel to phantom called "love never dies". I was very against the idea of a sequel, and trust me, the plot is horrendous...however I have recently been obsessed with the music! Has anyone else here heard it?

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

No, I have not heard it. but Weber is known as a very accomplished composer.

Personally, though, I prefer other musicals. I think the music from Rent is amazingly good, gives me goose bumps.

I think that is the show a cruise line should do next - although I have not yet seen Saturday Night Fever.
Old April 16th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Admiral

I love the American and British musical theatre as well. But I'm no particular fan of Sir Andrew's. A friend who is a Broadway conductor/arranger/composer will occasionally sit down at the piano at a party with a glass of wine and perform his infamous parody, "The music of Sondheim as interpreted by Andrew Lloyd Weber." If you get the joke it is hilarious.

Love Never Dies did tryouts here in Washington, and closed, to quote Max Bialystock, on page four. I didn't see it but understand that the book is hideous. I have heard some of the music. Meh.
Old April 16th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Default Any Musical Fans Here?

Love 'em! My DH and I bought a series at a Los Angeles theater. Next is "Follies."

Judy
Old April 16th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Not really a fan of musicals, but I have seen 2,
Rent, in NY, and Starlight Express in London, which had an amazing soundtrack. If I'm not mistaken, I think it was also an Andrew Lloyd Webber show, involving steam trains and rollerskaters, absolutely AMAZING!

donna
Old April 16th, 2012, 08:42 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
No, I have not heard it. but Weber is known as a very accomplished composer.

Personally, though, I prefer other musicals. I think the music from Rent is amazingly good, gives me goose bumps.

I think that is the show a cruise line should do next - although I have not yet seen Saturday Night Fever.
Quite a bit depends on the production. I loved the songs from Rent then went and saw a production in Toronto and HATED it. About a year later I gave it another shot and the production was great. I saw a production of Evita in Detroit so terrible I almost left.

I was fortunate enough to hear the song "Till I hear you sing" from Love never dies by the phantom from the australian cast. That was what had me hooked. I listened to the other cast recording and it was no where near as powerful.

Probably the funniest show I saw was 'The Full Monty' on broadway 10 years ago. I LOVED it. I would love for a cruise line to offer broadway style shows!!! I would book it right away!

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Old April 16th, 2012, 08:45 PM
First Mate

[QUOTE=AR;1425269]I love the American and British musical theatre as well. But I'm no particular fan of Sir Andrew's. A friend who is a Broadway conductor/arranger/composer will occasionally sit down at the piano at a party with a glass of wine and perform his infamous parody, "The music of Sondheim as interpreted by Andrew Lloyd Weber." If you get the joke it is hilarious.

As much as I respect both of them....they both owe their lives (and bank accounts) to Hal Prince

Leopold Stokowski
Old April 16th, 2012, 09:07 PM
First Mate

Oh, also AR...I read 'phantom of manhattan' years ago....it was terrible.....however it prepared me for the plotline of love never dies so I basically went into it figuring I would hate it

Leopold Stokowski
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I think the music from Rent is amazingly good, gives me goose bumps. I think that is the show a cruise line should do next.
I like Rent too, but somehow I don't think it would be a big hit with the cruise crowd.

Next thing you know they'll be doing Sweeney Todd and Hair.

When they do book musicals on ships do they cut them down to 45 minutes, or do they cut them down to 90 minutes and do the acts on consecutive nights? I've never been on a ship that did one. It would be very brave and very hard to do well considering the limited resources (yes, I've seen the new ship theatres).

Besides, they'd have to only do shows that have a lot of smoke effects, because it is now maritime law that you can't do any production show aboard a ship that does not use copious amounts of belching stage smoke.
Old April 17th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Admiral

Kelly, I love musical theatre. I took a long hiatus, but have suddenly found myself re-immersed recently. A month or so ago I visited an old theatre friend in Detroit (she directs a lot of shows up there) and we caught a production of "Lucky Stiff". I had never seen it before but it was really well done. The costuming jumped out at you like cartoon characters. Bold colors, great music, terrific dancing. I loved it. It would be great for a cruise ship crowd.

If any of you find yourself down in Brown County/Nashville, IN. Please catch me and my two fellow cast members in an original 3 woman show called "Platinum Girls" at the Palace Theatre of Brown County! We are slated to open in early August and run through October... Nashville is very much like Gatlinburg was before it became so commercial.

Send positive vibes as I recently auditioned for a show in Indianapolis. It will be an amazing production. I would love to be in it.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old April 17th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Default Musicals

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyKayden View Post
So....I am a lover of musicals, especially obscure ones, however my favorite is "phantom of the opea". Sir andrew lloyd webber made a sequel to phantom called "love never dies". I was very against the idea of a sequel, and trust me, the plot is horrendous...however I have recently been obsessed with the music! Has anyone else here heard it?
I am indeed a fan of musicals ,especially those on cruiseships .

My favorites are : HAIR , RENT and Les Miserables
Old April 17th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Admiral

I am the only person I know who has not seen Phantom or Les Mis!

I have seen probably close to 50 musicals over the years. Almost all broadway hits eventually make it to Toronto.

Among my favourites: Wicked, Lion King, and Priscilla-Queen of the Desert.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old April 17th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Default To The Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post

I have seen probably close to 50 musicals over the years. Almost all broadway hits eventually make it to Toronto.

I saw many musical productions in Toronto ,Ontario and enjoyed them more than when seeing them in NYC .
Old April 17th, 2012, 07:48 PM
First Mate

I think everyone here will appreciate this...........

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...19836755_n.jpg

Hope I did that right

Leopold Stokowski
Old April 17th, 2012, 07:50 PM
First Mate

Quote:

Thats ok, I'm the only person I know that hasn't see Wicked!:-D

Leopold Stokowski
Old April 17th, 2012, 07:57 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
I am indeed a fan of musicals ,especially those on cruiseships .

My favorites are : HAIR , RENT and Les Miserables
I saw Colm Wilkinson in Les Mis in Toronto....amazing

I also saw the 10 year Toronto anniversary show of Phantom in Toronto. They had 5 of the past Phantoms alternating the role.....that was quite a treat!! I used to go to Toronto a few times a year with friends of mine just to see the shows, but when they started requiring passports, that died out for us

Beenie....that is great!!! Break a leg!!! :-D I always support our local theatre here....great group of people! The only way I am confortable on stage is behind a drumset......or if I've had a bit of "liquid courage" during Karaoke night

Leopold Stokowski
Old April 17th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Admiral

In my opinion there is nothing better than regional theater .I have 2 friends ,one an actress and the other a director who are active in theaters in NJ and NY respectively.
Old April 17th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Default Any Musical Fans Here?

I would have loved to see Les Miz. But it was too costly. My recent experience has been that live performance costs have gone sky high, even in "nose bleed city."

This new season, my beloved South
Repertory Theater raised its prices. The Segerstrom Performing Arts Center advertised tickets for a Tony Bennet concert six months early. The cost for a decent seat, not the most expensive or the cheapest, was $300 p/p. Way out of my league. I also missed Sergio Mendez for the same reason.

Judy
Old April 18th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyKayden View Post
Thats ok, I'm the only person I know that hasn't see Wicked!:-D

Kelly - if you are a Wizard of Oz fan - you should see it! Are you sure you need a passport? I can get in the US with either my passport or an ehanced driver's license. the new licenses have increased security features on them. I may need a BC in addition to DL, not sure. I have a passport anyone, so it doesn't affect me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
In my opinion there is nothing better than regional theater .I have 2 friends ,one an actress and the other a director who are active in theaters in NJ and NY respectively.
We are very lucky in toronto to have access to such great shows - and great restaurants in the theatre disrict! We also have excellent community and regional theatre. Check out:
Shaw Festival Theatre ? Great theatre in the heart of Niagara Wine Country
Stratford Shakespeare Festival

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old April 18th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Admiral

A little off-topic - but any fans of Glee here? I love that show! Last night they did music of Saturday night fever.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old April 18th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Admiral

Default Glee

Quote:
A little off-topic - but any fans of Glee here? I love that show! Last night they did music of Saturday night fever.

I don't think that Glee has been that good this season .However ,last nights show was great .

The fact that Lea Michelle and Cory Monteith are an offscreen couple made their interaction last night seem more believable . I also feel that once the main characters graduate the show will not be the same .
Old April 19th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Henry did you watch the GLee Project last summer on Bravo? This is a reality show which show the contestants compete for a role on Glee. The winner from last season was the guy who plays Rory, the Irish exchange student.

There are four people so far from the Top 10 of Glee project who appeared on Glee this season:

Glee Project starts again in June. They are looking for people who will form the next set of highschool students. So that when this years class graduates .... next year's students won't be such strangers to us.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old April 19th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Admiral

I never heard of this show ,thanks for alerting me to it.
Old April 20th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Admiral

The Glee Project | Oxygen | The Glee Project | Oxygen

For some reason, the link is not pasting properly, but if your google The Glee Project - you will find it .... it airs on Oxygen network (though I could have sworn I watched it last year on Bravo)

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old April 20th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Admiral

Thanks ,I will check it out.
Old April 20th, 2012, 08:14 PM
First Mate

I don't understand why I can't get in to glee. The formula for the show sounds like something I would love but everytime I have tried it....I can't get through it!

Leopold Stokowski