Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 17th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Admiral

Default Question for moderators

I am puzzled about the change in the thread ( Who's last to post here). Under jokes and trivia.

Now it's a morning thread. I am sure there was a good reason, but I am confused.

If someone can explain, I would appreciate it.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!

Last edited by Manuel; April 17th, 2012 at 07:25 AM. Reason: ..
Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Administrator
Admiral

The threads were combined. They were basically threads that were short Instant Messages between people.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 17th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Yes - sorry if this bother a few people, but we found our "new posts" lists were constantly being dominated by a few thread like "two word game" et. - that have nothing to do with cruising.

What I mean is this - I check the boards several times daily for new posts, but I found that too often the "game" boards, which have been running now for a (I feel ) long enough - were at the top of the list every time.

We are all for "community" in our message boards, but some people have noted that the site does not seem to be "cruise oriented" enough so we decided to get rid of the completely non-cruise related boards that were frankly showing up in place of much more relevent content far too often.

I left the "who is the last post here" thread because I saw that many people used it as a place to generally "check in" on something like a daily basis and share personal info. So, I renamed it the "unofficial good moring thread," meaning you can continue to use it in the same manner if you choose. Or you can post to chit chat if you want.

We also changed the name of that section to "Cruise-related" fun and games so it remains within the realm of cruising. One - off-topic area "chit chat" is enough.

And any resurrection of two-word games, etc will be taken down. They were fun for awhile for a few people, but we have to shut out the lights and go to bed at some point.
Old April 17th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Admiral

I was summoned and have returned .
Old April 17th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Admiral

Yep, good thinkin' Paul. We wouldn't want anybody logging on to keep in touch with others that we've enjoyed cruising with, and having a good time with those nasty non cruise related games. Why,,,they might notice the advertising too, and how horrible would that be? Anyway, it's your site, and you can run it as you wish.
Good luck.

Ken
"SKY"
Old April 17th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

the thread is still there. We took some of the other sillier threads like two-word game where the same three people had only been posting two words at a time for months now.

We changed the name to the one board we left to something more meaningful for the content of messages we saw in the board - we saw it was generally being used as a place for people to keep in touch.

I am sorry if you are upset, but we do have the right to "tidy up" our business once in awhile. Those threads were receiving a lot of complaints from regular readers who said they kept coming up under "new posts" day after day.

So should we placate three people who want to use our site solely to play games, or should we strive to make the content relevent for the majority of people?
Old April 17th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Admiral

Taking down threads and referring to them as "silly" is insulting to those who took part in those threads.

Saying you took down a thread for business reasons is sufficient. There is no need to be insulting to those who enjoyed those threads.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old April 17th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Admiral

I may be guilty of posting on silly threads, but I have been a customer of some of the Cruisemates sponsors.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old April 17th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

If you open the message boards and scroll to the bottom, it shows how many "registered users" are presently on the site, and how many guests.

Just now there were 22 members, and 526 guests.

Those guests are coming to the boards to look for cruise information. If they use the "quick links" button to see the most recent posts, and they have to sift through the multiple game posts etc. before finding posts on cruising, they aren't likely to be as encouraged to register, and post their cruise questions that they can't find answers for.

I'm with Paul on this one. We do get complaints about the sometimes very numerous far off topic posts that generate little "outside" conversation.

It is afterall a web site which is designed to offer cruise content in both our articles and message boards.

In Chit Chat there is a daily "good morning" thread, which supplies everyone with the opportunity to have personal conversations with each other. Is it really necessary to have 5 or 6 such threads?

Is there really a difference between a 2 word game and a three word game?
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 17th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have to agree with Paul and Kuki on this one. Not a fan of the games and such popping up every time I check in. New posts are 99% posts looking for cruise-mates or ongoing (and ongoing and ongoing) game threads. Personally I'm looking for cruise related discussions with a bit of chit chat thrown in. While finding a cabin mate, and games may be important to some, they are just neck high weeds for me to wade through everyday. I don't care if they are out there somewhere, but if there was a filter, or a separate section that kept them in the background, it would be more than fine with me. On other boards we call those threads post-padders. Is a member with 1,000,000 posts really knowlegable on cruising, or have they been playing the 2 word game every day for 20 years???

Doug
Old April 17th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Admiral

Default Silly threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
the thread is still there. We took some of the other sillier threads like two-word game where the same three people had only been posting two words at a time for months now.

We changed the name to the one board we left to something more meaningful for the content of messages we saw in the board - we saw it was generally being used as a place for people to keep in touch.

I am sorry if you are upset, but we do have the right to "tidy up" our business once in awhile. Those threads were receiving a lot of complaints from regular readers who said they kept coming up under "new posts" day after day.

So should we placate three people who want to use our site solely to play games, or should we strive to make the content relevent for the majority of people?

As I have told you both privately and publicly I would prefer a CRUISES only message board but since you were allowing an all types of threads I joined in .

****However ,I rather post on a 2 word or 3 word message thread than read about people posting here who advocate the killing of animals for sport and people who advocate teaching their grandchildren to kill for sport .This frankly disgusts me .