Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2012, 10:09 PM
Admiral

Default An historical tidbit for our Jewish members

If you look at one of the circles on a dollar bill, you will find that included are thirteen stars. Look closely and you'll see that they're shaped as the Star of David.

The story goes that a wealthy Jewish Philadelphian by the name of Hayim Soloman was responsible for providing extensive funding of the Continental Army. When George Washington was President and the dollar was being designed, he asked Soloman what he would like to honor his considerable contribution to our victory.

He replied to the effect that he did not want any honor for himself but would greatly appreciate acknowledgement of his people. Thus those thirteen stars were formed in a Star of David.

BTW, Soloman died a pauper.

Is this a great nation or what?
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2012, 10:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Live and learn, thanks!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 21st, 2012, 11:19 PM
Admiral

A true and wonderful story
Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:18 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to KellyKayden

Thank you todd..much love

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Old April 22nd, 2012, 01:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

This isn't "entirely" accurate. The Great Seal of the United States is what contains this symbol and nothing to do with the dollar bill. Other than the current dollar bill displays the Great Seal of the United States.

The original dollar bill was not printed until 1862 and looked nothing like it does today. It wasn't until the 1920's that something similar to our current dollar was introduced.

The story of Hayim Soloman and the Star of David may be a tribute to when the Great Seal was designed but it wasn't because of the U.S. Dollar.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 22nd, 2012, 05:40 PM
Admiral

Mike,

You are absolutely correct, as usual. I didn't think about the dollar bill not being the same (or even close) until Lincoln was President and that is why I wrote Washington....and yes, it was the seal of the United States on which it first appeared as per the part concerning Washington, as it remains to this day.

Thanks for the correction.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 01:31 PM
Admiral

Question Seal?

As the line from West Side Story says, "That's a touchin' good story!"

The contributions of Hayim Solomon to the American Revolution are well documented. I hardly thinks it justifies the title of one article I found while researching this, "How Jews Saved the American Revolution." But there is no question that he was a dedicated patriot, as were many other men of many religions. It also appears that he was a devout Jew and practiced his religion.

What I am not finding in reputable historical accounts is any documentation that he mixed the two. It appears he went to synagogue and worshiped regularly, and it appears that he took an active part in the Revolution, not because he was Jewish but because he was a patriot.

And sadly, that very nice story about the Great Seal of the US warrants, at best, a note that "some historians think ..." without any citations. The most general comment in reliable articles about the story is that "there is no documentary evidence." I think Solomon's Star of David on the Great Seal deserves its place in popular stories along with Betsy Ross' flag, equally undocumented.

Don't mean to derogate anyone and certainly not any religion. But I like to see facts labeled as facts and stories labeled as nice stories.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old April 23rd, 2012, 06:29 PM
Admiral

Thanks for sharing!!!
Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:00 PM
Admiral

MercedMike,

There are nice stories and then there are NICE stories. Actually, history points to not only Hayman Solomon's contribution to our revolution to be not in the least unequivocal and wuld leave one at the very least, to have the stars placed, in his honor, as the Star of David is not only appropriate, but profides multidudinous reasons for such an award.

As a matter of fact, more than several Jewish men were instrumental in our Revolution, far more than is generally recognized and that Mike, is fact.
Old April 24th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Default Contributions to the Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
MercedMike,

There are nice stories and then there are NICE stories. Actually, history points to not only Hayman Solomon's contribution to our revolution to be not in the least unequivocal and wuld leave one at the very least, to have the stars placed, in his honor, as the Star of David is not only appropriate, but profides multidudinous reasons for such an award.

As a matter of fact, more than several Jewish men were instrumental in our Revolution, far more than is generally recognized and that Mike, is fact.
Indeed, Todd, the first thing my post said was that his contributions to the Revolution are well documented. I am not trying to be controversial here, just enter into an informed discussion on a subject which is of considerable interest to me, the symbolism in the Great Seal ( which therefore becomes the symbolism of the modern dollar bill).

Considering the amount of anti-Semitism still sadly present in the world, overemphasizing the fact that some of the founders of the nation were Jewish might backfire. As a Freemason I am well aware that the conspiracy theorists make much of the fact that some of the Founding Fathers were Freemasons and that certain elements of the great seal, such as the All Seeing Eye, are also used by Masons. They might also be prepared to seize on the presence of a Star of David in the Great Seal as evidence to foster their hate campaign. For instance, check out this distortion of history: Codex Magica - 13

Despite the nice story of Hayim Solomon being honored, and despite the hate story about Hayim Solomon and Rothschild and bribery, it happens that there were 13 colonies that joined together. This has led to much nonsense regarding the number 13 and its use in the flag and the seal. There are 13 stars because there happened to be 13 colonies. One way to arrange 13 points is in a double hexagon (6x2=12) with a single point in the center to make 13. If you look at the seal closely it essentially looks like a circle with 6 projections. Connecting certain of the stars will indeed yield the geometric figure of two triangles which since the Middle Ages has been known as the Seal of Solomon or the Star of David. To do so, you have to use 12 stars and ignore the 13th. If one colony had not been included the representation would have been better.

We have many cherished stories which historians cannot document. George Washington was certainly a major participant in the Revolution. He probably never did cut down that cherry tree. Hayim Solomon was certainly a major participant in the Revolution. That a Star of David was placed in the Seal to honor him is a good story but unlikely. If the Seal committee chose to honor everyone who contributed to the Revolution the Seal would be so crowded with special additions we probably couldn't make them out.

Here is an article you might find of great interest which is full of conjecture about the Jewish, Masonic and Kaballistic symbols in the Great Seal without descending in to hate: http://concen.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=33748. No mention of Hayim Solomon, however.

Respect is certainly due to all the Christians, Deists, Jews, blacks and many other participants in the Revolution. I would not derogate any group for taking pride in their contributions. But overall it was not any group except patriots that achieved freedom for this country.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html

Last edited by MercedMike; April 24th, 2012 at 12:14 PM.