CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   A new Titanic???????? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/389136-new-titanic.html)

Marsdude April 30th, 2012 08:57 AM

A new Titanic????????

I'm a little dubious about this idea:

Australian billionaire to build Titanic replica - CNN.com

What is your opinion?

Trip April 30th, 2012 09:04 AM

I saw this on the news earlier. I could have sworn this idea was floated out years ago as well...pun intended.;)

You can bet supersticious people will stay away in droves..Do we need a Titanic 2.....nope.

Lakers Fan April 30th, 2012 09:23 AM

Some people will try anything .

KellyKayden April 30th, 2012 10:36 AM

My twitter feed was blowing up about this.....I was wondering if it was true and I guess it is....interesting

buttons16 April 30th, 2012 11:02 AM

My wife and I think its a tasteless and inappropriate idea. Why can't people just leave things that need to be left alone, left alone...Is the dollar that important, is greed and the limelight that important.

Manuel April 30th, 2012 11:52 AM

This ship is to be made in China.

Just what we need more Chinese junk.

TM

Snoozeman April 30th, 2012 01:12 PM

I bet it does very well in bookings. Profitable may be harder to accomplish.

green_rd April 30th, 2012 02:27 PM

By the time the ship floats much popular interest will have died down. Will people pay the necessary dollars, euros, pounds or yen to make the venture profitable. I don't know. Maybe there is a big internal market in Asia for all things Titanic.

Bruce Chafkin1 April 30th, 2012 10:21 PM

If he hopes to make a profit - it's a dumb idea.
But since he is a billionaire, maybe he doesn't need to make a profit.

If it truly is an identical copy (plus modern technology) there will be no balconies and many, many inside cabins.
Quite a few cabins will have no bathrooms; you will need to share a bath down the hall.
A ship with this design requires a very high crew to passenger ratio. That equates to very high cruise fares.

As elegant as the original? That's what they are saying.
A First Class Ticket for the 5 day crossing on the original Titanic was US$2,000.
That year, the average American earned US$300 for the entire year.

This fellow claims he is marketing it to the Australian Cruise Market.
Good luck to him.

seadog2 May 5th, 2012 02:21 PM

Seadog says NO. Gotta' draw the line somewhere. Yes this is tasteless.

cruisissimo June 18th, 2012 07:02 PM

I think he does it only for popularity and to expose himself. This money can be used much better and be more useful. Who does need another Titanic? The times changed so much after 100 years. The people strugle to survive today and he spend billions to build a ship?!

Manuel June 19th, 2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seadog2 (Post 1427554)
Seadog says NO. Gotta' draw the line somewhere. Yes this is tasteless.

I feel the same way.

TM

Beachmonkey March 1st, 2013 01:39 PM

I am a big ship dork and like it from a novelty idea. I just don't see it making any money. It will get some nice traffic at first, but people enjoy the new features on ships (spa, fitness, outdoor pools, hot tubs, etc.).

Given the difficulty with funding for ships like the Queen Mary (poorly maintained right now) and the SS United States, it is unlikely it will do well over the long term even if it remains docked.

That is my $0.02!