CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Verizon and the Caribbean...BE WARNED! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/389154-verizon-caribbean-warned.html)

ToddDH May 1st, 2012 07:52 AM

Verizon and the Caribbean...BE WARNED!
 
Three years ago (and the two cruises before that) I took out the Caribbean package with Verizon as the costs were far less expensive from certain locations, such as St. Thomas.

Even this trip, folks told me I wouldn't need a package for American Territory such as St. Thomas with Verizon simply because it was American territory. Nonetheless I got the package added.

Package? There is no package. The guy last night told me they dropped it! I received bills for roaming charges from St. Thomas totalling just under $500 FOR THE LAST TWO MONTHS and Hell, we were only there ONE DAY!

There is no longer such a thing as a Caribbean package with Verizon (at least not one that involves St. Thomas) anymore. Of course when I asked for it to be added, they conveniently forgot to tell me there wasn't such a package anymore! All they said was, "Yes sir, Mr. De Haven, we've added the Caribbean package."

I understand things change, but just from what I've overheard (literally) from cruisers just as recently a prior t our cruise In March about St. Thomas and other US territories is, "It's cheap!" Well kids, there are a whole lot of people waking up around this country that have found such is definitely not the case! The rep told me I should have been informed. Yeah, I agree WITH THAT! Trouble is, I wasn't.

Everyone in my family is a Verizon user (including the two members who travel the globe not to mention their employees). I think we're going to have a family confab over this one. That five hundred bucks hopefully may have ended up costing them thousands a month. The possibility of such a change just breaks my heart...ya' know?

Paul Motter May 1st, 2012 10:19 AM

I also overheard strangers on our cruise on the Epic saying "St Thomas is cheap" and I kept wondering what had changed and what they knew that I didn't, because that was never my experience.

I also have verizon and I had data roaming turned off during a recent cruise, but when I got home I still had $480 in data charges. I was able to call verizon and have them put on a data package retroactively for $30.

But like you - the lack of information by Verizon was just astounding, Even after those charges appeared they would not tell me what data they were charging me for - they told me "that's privileged information that requied a subpeona" - even on my own account :rolleyes:

Lakers Fan May 1st, 2012 10:33 AM

I had Verizon for many years but always had problems with them . A friend from high school was a VP with Verizon in California and I called him to help with my problems . He was so disgusted with working for them that he quit as have a lot of mamnagement people recently.

Kuki May 1st, 2012 12:38 PM

Last June (almost a yr. ago) I wrote this blog
Cruisemates Blog Cellular @ Sea Can Be A Rip Off @ Sea – Kuki

While it doesn't relate directly to Verizon, it does relate to any and all cell phone providers, and it works the same way for each.

If your cell phone was on it would pick up service (from the provider) through cellular @ sea and thus result in costly roaming services. Even if you never used the phone. If it's left on, it "roams".

Mike M May 1st, 2012 01:06 PM

There have been MANY accounts like this on the boards in the last few years.

Todd: If a Verizon rep told you that you had a "St. Thomas" package they had no idea what they were talking about and you may be able to get a refund, especially if you remember the name of the rep. St. Thomas hasn't been part of their U.S. plan for about three or four years. It is .95/minute and more for data.

I have the Verizon International plan and a "Worldphone" that has CDMA/PCS, GSM and works just about anywhere in the world. The key is that you are going to pay A LOT for data and around .95/minute for International calls. Some countries, like Poland or Egypt, can be as high as $3.95/minute.

The key for everyone is to TURN THE PHONE OFF when not using it and to turn DATA off on your Smartphone. Use your laptop or Wi-fi 802.11bgn device to read email or surf the web.

I also encourage everyone to get familiar with your phone and its settings so you can turn it on without worrying about getting a $400 bill. Also be VERY familiar with the plan you have and what it covers and the costs associated with travel. DON'T RELY ON WHAT YOUR FRIEND SAYS. There are a myriad of plans for individuals, corporate customers and pay as you go. If you visit the Verizon website the costs associated with your plan are fairly well documented. Also make sure you have set up an online account with your service provider so you see information that is for your account and not a bunch of general information.

When I travel outside the U.S. I use my phone only for voice and I have had bills well over $200 but those were all legitimate calls that I made. On our last Caribbean cruise my bill was about $40 higher because I used it to call home a couple of times and also to contact other people in our group when we got seperated.

Know before you go!!!!

Take care,
Mike

Moiraine May 1st, 2012 04:27 PM

I'm sorry Todd. I always turn my cell phone off and leave it off until we get back into home port.

ToddDH May 1st, 2012 07:51 PM

Moiraine, Mike, etc.,

I of course turned my phone off when we were at sea. But in (actually it was '08) I was told there would be no roaming charges if I took the "Caribbean" option for lack of a better term. I made calls from St. Thomas and San Juan with one exception, one "thrill " call from the theater of the ship when it was at sea. That one cost me three dollars. The other calls totaled me about $9.00. I left the phone on only because I forgot to turn it off but I didn't get any astronomical bill.

This time I told the rep (No Mike, I didn't get her name) about my previous experience and that is why I wanted the, for lack of a better term, the "Caribbean option." At no time did she state that was no longer available.

I'll of course pay the bill immediately and I am well aware that I'll probably receive no redress (other than the 25% discount I've already been issued) but you can take this to the bank. I shall be contacting Verizon (and I don't mean standard customer service) as I know how to get through to Corporate). Believe this or not, my intention won't be to get my money back but to rather prevent this from happening to some other unsuspecting individual. Even the rep last night, a young Black guy, said it was reprehensible (his word this time, not mine) that this wasn't explained to me inasmuch as the rep knew of my previous experience and expectations.

Moiraine May 1st, 2012 11:51 PM

It's too bad you don't know the rep's name. The person should be fired.

HawkeyeFLA May 2nd, 2012 12:01 AM

Threads like this remind me why I really don't mind Sprint. :)

Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands are part of the Sprint Nationwide Coverage.
Please go to Sprint - Nationwide Coverage for information.

I had full 3G coverage in 2009 when I was there ... at the time I had a Blackberry and BIS worked flawlessly.

Makes me wonder if any of Sprint's prepaid services would work on either island. I don't think I have any Sprint employee friends any more, but next time I am on SprintUsers.com I will ask around. Might be good information to have for a cruiser visiting either island that must have phone contact.

Personally that's one of the things I like about sea days and places like Cozumel. I can disconnect. On my 7n cruise in 2009, the only reason I used the internet cafe was to look at my work schedule for the week I got back ...
But I ramble... :-p

Manuel May 3rd, 2012 07:06 AM

On my last cruise (ten days), I called home everyday from the ship and/or the ports where we stopped and my bill was less than fifty dollars.
I guess that ATT gives you a pretty good deal.

TM

Lakers Fan May 3rd, 2012 05:02 PM

I never make calls while on a cruise .

Surfguyxxx1 May 3rd, 2012 07:37 PM

My friend is a lawyer and had to make some calls (an important case was going on). Anyways, his bill was $1, 296.74, no lie. He had a choice of paying or losing his #, and still having to pay. Guess who won?
(PS the carrier was Verizon too!)

Paul Motter May 4th, 2012 12:07 PM

Blackberry on AT&T used to be the best international deal going (maybe it still is) - you could keep your data on all the time and only get a bill for maybe $100 at the end of a cruise.

All of the cruise line execs used to use it.

I really do not understand why BlackBerry (NYSE: RIMM) has tanked as company - they still have some very positive benfits - it is just that people who rarely travel overseas all wanted the iPhone - and then the Droid (Which I got)...

But you have to turn off data roaming and still also be careful when using these phones overseas.

On cruise ships you can expect the charge to be anywhere for $2.50 to $5/minute to call out or accept a call coming in.

Phil&Liz May 4th, 2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfguyxxx1 (Post 1427326)
My friend is a lawyer and had to make some calls (an important case was going on). Anyways, his bill was $1, 296.74, no lie. He had a choice of paying or losing his #, and still having to pay. Guess who won?
(PS the carrier was Verizon too!)

If it was truly for the case then it is all billable hours/business expense. He needs to get a better CPA if he thinks that bill is a loss for him.

Phil&Liz May 4th, 2012 10:52 PM

As I recall, Paul, your bill with Verizon was due to a text photo(s).

With phones being cameras now, the problem such as yours will happen more often.

Re the Blackberry, I do recall seeing the "beards" at Carnival always using the bb, even at sea. The Cellular @ Sea service, believe , is with ATT.

No matter the carrier, I see no reason for anyone to think the cruise line is to blame for their bills.

Not saying Todd thinks this way, just saying, when some complain about their bills after a cruise, they seem to think the cruiseline had something to do with it.

ToddDH May 5th, 2012 03:09 AM

Phil,

I'm not expecting someting for nothing, hell I've been on this planet for over 65 years.

What I am sayng is that when I last cruised in 09, Verizon did not charge roaming charges for the Caribbean. Of course calls themselves were expensive unless one restricted themselves to I believe it was in port at St Thomas and San Juan at both points the calls themselves being reasonably priced.

When I purchased me new phone I knew I had to set up a package before I sailed so several weeks before the Epic voyage, I called Verizon and specifically asked for the "Caribbean Package" because I wouldn't have to pay astronomical roaming charges. The rep, a female, said, "Fine!" Turns out though that there is no such thing anymore as a "Caribbean Package" that includes no roaming fees.

That is my complaint, not the cost of the phone calls. As I pointed out in my original post, even the rep I recently talked to thought it reprehensible that she didn't tell me such a package was no longer available when she originally spoke with me.

Dhill May 5th, 2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddDH (Post 1427130)
Moiraine, Mike, etc.,

I of course turned my phone off when we were at sea. But in (actually it was '08) I was told there would be no roaming charges if I took the "Caribbean" option for lack of a better term. I made calls from St. Thomas and San Juan with one exception, one "thrill " call from the theater of the ship when it was at sea. That one cost me three dollars. The other calls totaled me about $9.00. I left the phone on only because I forgot to turn it off but I didn't get any astronomical bill.

This time I told the rep (No Mike, I didn't get her name) about my previous experience and that is why I wanted the, for lack of a better term, the "Caribbean option." At no time did she state that was no longer available.

I'll of course pay the bill immediately and I am well aware that I'll probably receive no redress (other than the 25% discount I've already been issued) but you can take this to the bank. I shall be contacting Verizon (and I don't mean standard customer service) as I know how to get through to Corporate). Believe this or not, my intention won't be to get my money back but to rather prevent this from happening to some other unsuspecting individual. Even the rep last night, a young Black guy, said it was reprehensible (his word this time, not mine) that this wasn't explained to me inasmuch as the rep knew of my previous experience and expectations.

I dont mean no disrespect and I am not trying to start anything. But I am just curious as to why you stated what the young mans race was that you talked to?I was thinking I probaly shouldnt even ask but Iam just curious Have a good day and take care:)

KellyKayden May 5th, 2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddDH (Post 1427051)
Three years ago (and the two cruises before that) I took out the Caribbean package with Verizon as the costs were far less expensive from certain locations, such as St. Thomas.

Even this trip, folks told me I wouldn't need a package for American Territory such as St. Thomas with Verizon simply because it was American territory. Nonetheless I got the package added.

Package? There is no package. The guy last night told me they dropped it! I received bills for roaming charges from St. Thomas totalling just under $500 FOR THE LAST TWO MONTHS and Hell, we were only there ONE DAY!

There is no longer such a thing as a Caribbean package with Verizon (at least not one that involves St. Thomas) anymore. Of course when I asked for it to be added, they conveniently forgot to tell me there wasn't such a package anymore! All they said was, "Yes sir, Mr. De Haven, we've added the Caribbean package."

I understand things change, but just from what I've overheard (literally) from cruisers just as recently a prior t our cruise In March about St. Thomas and other US territories is, "It's cheap!" Well kids, there are a whole lot of people waking up around this country that have found such is definitely not the case! The rep told me I should have been informed. Yeah, I agree WITH THAT! Trouble is, I wasn't.

Everyone in my family is a Verizon user (including the two members who travel the globe not to mention their employees). I think we're going to have a family confab over this one. That five hundred bucks hopefully may have ended up costing them thousands a month. The possibility of such a change just breaks my heart...ya' know?

I also have verizon....but I also have 2 young sons who were not with me so I called them a few times from my phone prepared to deal with the consequences. Here is something really stupid I did though, one of my favorite shows had its season finale while we were gone so I decided to surf around on my phone to see what happened. My bill showed up two weeks ago, thankfully I was sitting when I opened it :)

I believe next time...my phone will be staying in my car in the parking garage.

seadog2 May 5th, 2012 03:17 PM

Beware of Verizon PERIOD!!! They have a history of giving false info. Then when you call them on it they deny it was ever said. This has been my experience with them. Here is what I do, I turn off the data and internet. I don't make any calls. I text. It's much cheeper and no matter where you are in the Caribbean the price is the same. Someone mentioned in an earlier post that a lot of Verizon managers are quiting or retiring, this is true and so are many of the hourly employees too. Verizon is no GTE.

Mike M May 5th, 2012 03:25 PM

This is something for Verizon travelers to consider. There is an International Data plan that gives you 20Mb for $20/month. That isn't a lot but it's more than enough for most emails (unless Aunt June sends 10Mb pictures of Fluffy) and some browsing or App usage.

I activate it when I'm traveling and then cancel it after I return. That way I'll only be paying $20 when the same amount of data would be around $80 on the regular plan.

Take care,
Mike


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1