CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Meeting famous people on cruises (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/389266-meeting-famous-people-cruises.html)

Lakers Fan May 8th, 2012 10:10 AM

Meeting famous people on cruises

We were on a cruise last year .On the second day we went for breakfast in the MDR and were seated next to a couple and began a conversation . The husband was very shy and we were surprised to find out that he was a TV personality .He was so "down to earth" .
We had another breakfast with them and socialized a bit as well .

Have you ever met anyone famous on a cruise ?

Trip May 8th, 2012 11:13 AM

Henry, why tease us? Who was it? I sat at the Captain's table with Denice Brown, the sister of Nicole Brown Simpson. A lovely lady, and, great conversation.

anniegb May 8th, 2012 11:28 AM

So none of you were on board QM when the elder Bushes were on board recently?

Yes I have been on board the Connie and recognised a British TV and stage actor - but would never ever mention it. After all they are on vacation.

Annie

PS It is not just cruises where you see and chat to well known people - from Vegas to the British Museum; Rome to Athens. Even on the number 9 bus in London across from Fortnum and Masons.

Lakers Fan May 8th, 2012 02:35 PM

Trip

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1427838)
Henry, why tease us? Who was it? I sat at the Captain's table with Denice Brown, the sister of Niclole Brown Simpson. A lovely lady, and, great conversation.

He was incognito .I happened to recognize him .

Kuki May 8th, 2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1427852)
He was incognito .I happened to recognize him .

I've sailed with In Cognito several times. Nice guy.

Trip May 8th, 2012 03:58 PM

Was he in drag?:)

Comet Cruiser May 8th, 2012 04:34 PM

We had Marty Allen performing on the Explorer when we were onboard.

We seen him walking alone by himself one afternoon and we said hello and he was super friendly and even posed for a pic with my sister and our friend.

Gail
Comet Cruiser

KellyKayden May 8th, 2012 06:43 PM

I once had an entire conversation with Gene Krantz of the Apollo 13 mission without knowing who he was....not on a cruise though so I'm guessing thats not much help...lol

Donna May 8th, 2012 07:28 PM

Hey Kuki,
When you were wearing your thong, we still knew who you were :-)

MTL May 8th, 2012 10:13 PM

Hi,
We met Jimmy Carter & Wife Roslyn, Ben Vereen, Neil Sedaka,Regis Philbin,
Katarina Wit,the worst was Regis.
MTL

ship2shore May 8th, 2012 10:55 PM

Why, oh why would Regis Philbin be on a cruise ship???

Trip May 8th, 2012 10:58 PM

We had a poster on a Crystal Panama canal cruise with Regis and Joy....said he was great,and she was a pill....He was just a guest speaker on a cruise to China.

ship2shore May 8th, 2012 11:17 PM

Well ok then,

Maybe I can just bring myself to picture him as a well-paid guest speaker on a Crystal cruise, no doubt staying in the Owner's Suite. The "riff-raff" on Crystal is slightly more filtered after all.

If it were on the Carnival Sensation, I would worry if the world were about to end.

Ive had the great misfortune of being in the same room as Regis, not once but twice. Both times, he was an insufferable Prima Donna to pretty much everyone.

Lakers Fan May 8th, 2012 11:26 PM

No

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1427855)

Just Incognito

Lakers Fan May 8th, 2012 11:29 PM

Regis ,Joy ,Kathie Lee

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1427881)
We had a poster on a Crystal Panama canal cruise with Regis and Joy....said he was great,and she was a pill....He was just a guest speaker on a cruise to China.

I've posted this before:

A former neighbor of mine worked on the show for many years .He described Regis as a great guy ,Kathie Lee as a B...H and he said Joy was worse .

ship2shore May 9th, 2012 03:22 AM

well I guess the difference being, I saw him in person, and he is quite capable of being a "diva" to say the least. dont foreget he has to be nice to his staff.

I still cannot picture him on a cruise ship, surrounded by Joes

Trip May 9th, 2012 08:38 AM

Well, the Crystal setting was quite to his liking as he talked about it on his show,and he has cruised many times. Maybe, instead of Joes, he was surrounded by "Josephs." :wink:

Lakers Fan May 9th, 2012 11:31 AM

Kuki

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuki (Post 1427853)
I've sailed with In Cognito several times. Nice guy.

On my last cruise I met a nice couple from Calgary .Your reputation preceedes you .

Kuki May 9th, 2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1427941)
On my last cruise I met a nice couple from Calgary .Your reputation preceedes you .

On my last cruise I met a couple from NY. They said they know lots of people like you :)

To be serious for a moment, the biggest issue I have is who people in the North America consider "famous". It gets bad when a "television personality" is considered "famous". Famous and Celebrity shouldn't be used as interchangeable adjectives.

Snoozeman May 9th, 2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1427855)

Well that happens a LOT MORE than most suspect.

Lakers Fan May 9th, 2012 08:04 PM

Kuki

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuki (Post 1427954)
On my last cruise I met a couple from NY. They said they know lots of people like you :)

To be serious for a moment, the biggest issue I have is who people in the North America consider "famous". It gets bad when a "television personality" is considered "famous". Famous and Celebrity shouldn't be used as interchangeable adjectives.

I did not say that the person I met was famous .I said he was a TV personality . In fact it is very likely that the only person who would know the name is Trip as this guy works for a New England TV station .

Trip May 9th, 2012 08:35 PM

People run into well known people and "usually" it's fun to say, guess who I saw..I guess in this case, it isn't..did you pinky swear?:D

Lakers Fan May 9th, 2012 08:42 PM

The last time I did a pinky square I was 12

Trip May 9th, 2012 08:59 PM

The art of evasion is yours..you win!:D

Kuki May 9th, 2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1427987)
I did not say that the person I met was famous .I said he was a TV personality . In fact it is very likely that the only person who would know the name is Trip as this guy works for a New England TV station .

Henry.. it was YOU who asked if anyone has met anyone famous, and it was YOU that mentioned him in your post... on YOUR OWN topic.

If you are trying to say that you didn't say what you said, or did what you did, that is pretty darn funny. Once again, you want folks to believe you were misunderstood.

Come on, you say you're a wordsmith :)

Lakers Fan May 9th, 2012 09:23 PM

"Kookie ,Kookie ,lend me your comb"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuki (Post 1427995)
Henry.. it was YOU who asked if anyone has met anyone famous, and it was YOU that mentioned him in your post... on YOUR OWN topic.

If you are trying to say that you didn't say what you said, or did what you did, that is pretty darn funny. Once again, you want folks to believe you were misunderstood.

Come on, you say you're a wordsmith :)

Correct ,I asked if anyone met anyone famous . I could say I met Bob Zalisk who is famous among his peers but not necessarily to everyone .Do you understand my point ?

Kuki May 9th, 2012 09:42 PM

Henry. You asked a question in your title, and gave your answer in your post.

The rest is just you trying to rewrite what's been posted by you; as the saying going "words matter".

Sorry... Not a big deal. Not of any earth shattering importance. But, it's one of the things many people hate about politicians, when they want to deny their own words. We see enough of that on the news.

Lakers Fan May 9th, 2012 09:51 PM

You fail to understand my point ,no need to continue .

Kuki May 10th, 2012 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1427999)
You fail to understand my point ,no need to continue .

And you obviously failed to miss mine :wink:

KellyKayden May 10th, 2012 09:02 AM

Stil wish I was going on the Elvira cruise, because then a couple months from now I would have a great story for this thread...lol :)