Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 12th, 2012, 08:12 AM
First Mate

Default Scottsdale, Arizona

I realize this is not a cruise-related question, but can anyone recommend a hotel/resort in or around Scottsdale?

We have tentative plans to go out over Labor Day. We have reservations at a place called Chaparell Suites. We made them after hearing about it last month on Connie.

However, in looking at the reviews and photos on TripAdvisor, we are rethinking this as a choice.

We would like someplace as near Scottsdale as posssible. We would like a balcony so we can have our coffee there in the mornings and enjoy the evening. If it featured a breakfast, that would alo be good. I did look at the Hotel Valley Ho, or something like that, but haven't really done any in depth research.

We do plan on renting a car there so as to be able to do some sight seeing. A trip to Sonoma is one trip we want to do.

Oh, Canyon Ranch is great, but a "tad" beyond what we want to spend.

Thanks in advance,

Read and post cruise reviews
Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I stayed at a Marriot suites in Old Scottsdale a few years ago, it was great.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 12th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I have spent my winters in Scottsdale the last 3 years, so I've come to know the area fairly well.

It really depends if you have a preference of what area of Scottsdale you want to stay in, and what you want to spend. It's big! The Chaparell is close to the Fashion Plaza, and sort of nearby to Old Scottsdale. Older facility, though I have no idea if it's kept updated.

Just south of there on Scottsdale Rd. (closer yet to the Mall and Old Town) is the FireSky Resort, which is gorgeous!!!

If you don't mind getting out the area, further north is the Fairmont Princess Resort, which is an incredible property. Not too far from that is the Kierland Westin Resort.

About 15-20 minute drive from Old Scottsdale is where my condo located. We had visitors this year who we booked into the Orange Tree Resort. They were offering great deals because it was new management, and newly remodelled, right on a golf course, with little condo style units.

There's a few suggestions for you. There's certainly more around.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 13th, 2012, 08:54 AM
First Mate

Donna/Kuki,

Thanks for the replies. I will be checking them all out.

As I said before, I go on TripAdvisor to check ratings. I am beginning to wonder if I should or not. If you read the 1 and 2 star ones, you would never stay anywhere it seems. Yet in some instances, we have stayed at properties here and in Mexico which have been wonderful, but if you read some of the low reviews, you wonder if they are talking about the same place !

Now to see where the nearest Dunkin' Donuts is....

Again, thanks.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old May 13th, 2012, 09:08 AM
First Mate

I live here in Arizona, but for that reason I have never had to stay at any of the Hotels in Scottsdale. I did do some catering at the Orange Tree Resort once, and it was great!

About the reviews though.... I think that a lot of times only people who have something to complain about write reviews...

Any product, even ones that are amazing, seem to get bad reviews. Usually someone is mad about something and takes it out on the ratings like those on Trip Advisor.

Almost anything in Scottsdale should be fine.

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Carnival Elation 11/02/2009
Carnival Pride 04/24/2006
Carnival Pride 05/23/2004
Carnival Elation (I think) 1999
Old May 13th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

It was just nice being in Old Scottsdale, walking distance from shopping and restaurants, plus an indoor parking garage when we did have to drive.

Message Boards Moderator