Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2012, 08:20 PM
First Mate

Cool Electronic Cigarettes

So, I did a quick search and didn't really find a thread on here, so I figured I would start one. (Since that *ahem* other site has one going). Friday March 4th I purchased a KR808D kit and some menthol flavored fluid, and haven't had a real cigarette since. Now I know there's a whole site/forum dedicate to the ins and outs of ECigs, but I figured maybe there was some interest in them over here for some chit chat. Maybe some on ship experiences with them etc etc.

Personally I love waking up in the morning and not feeling like I need to hack out a lung. (I started smoking around 14, and am 36 now). I didn't smoke in my apt, but did in my car and OY, I knew it had a smell to it, but about 2 days after not smoking (ECig is vapor, not smoke, so technically a true statement) I came to realize my car REEKED. I've been slowly fighting the smell with lots of febreeze, and might try some activated charcoal in a bowl here soon.

Based on my first week and a half or so of use, and what a bottle of EJuice costs me, I am forcasting savings of around $125 - $150/mo. Considering I was just throwing that money away every month, I consider it to be "free money" at this point. Going to make for a nice bit of extra spending money when I take my 14 nighter in December.

So there's my 2 cents for now.

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Admiral

Congratulations Hawkeye!

I was talking just yesterday to a husband of a nurse who said they were the best thing in the world to happen to him BUT do not get the cheap ones he said.

I myself have pretty much decided to take the plunge.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old May 16th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Admiral

Well that's a new one on me, E-Cigs, who would've thought?
I say whatever works, more power to you, and congrats for making that decision!
As for the "reek", I once told my husband that kissing a smoker is like licking an ashtray, and he never "got" it until he quit. Now neither of us can tolerate the least little smell of smoke.

And for an added bonus, with all the ciggy money you will save, you can book a cruise!

donna
Old May 16th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Skype™ to lisacan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna View Post
Well that's a new one on me, E-Cigs, who would've thought?
I say whatever works, more power to you, and congrats for making that decision!
As for the "reek", I once told my husband that kissing a smoker is like licking an ashtray, and he never "got" it until he quit. Now neither of us can tolerate the least little smell of smoke.

And for an added bonus, with all the ciggy money you will save, you can book a cruise!

donna
My husband still smokes, i have tried a lot but still not able to convince him to quit smoking. Do you have any tips for me ?
Old May 16th, 2012, 08:27 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisacan View Post
My husband still smokes, i have tried a lot but still not able to convince him to quit smoking. Do you have any tips for me ?
Buy him an ecig from say Walmart or most of the gas station convience stores carry them these days. A basic disposable should be enough to find out if it's something that would work for him. I did a little more research personally and plunged right into a complete refillable kit, but without all the research, I would have probably gone with one of the disposables to start. The heft of the device is a little more than a traditional or "analog" cigarette, but the rest of the experience is very similar. The pulling and inhaling "hit" the throat almost identical to a real one. And they make all kinds of yummy flavors of ejuice to explore.

Past cruises:

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old May 16th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

E cigs are an effective tool for some wanting to quit.

It is interesting, now that they are more common, even though no tobacco smoke is involved, the use of E cigs is not allowed on ships, outside of designated smoking areas.

Nor are they now allowed on airplanes, restaurants, in offices etc. on land.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 16th, 2012, 03:39 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
E cigs are an effective tool for some wanting to quit.

It is interesting, now that they are more common, even though no tobacco smoke is involved, the use of E cigs is not allowed on ships, outside of designated smoking areas.

Nor are they now allowed on airplanes, restaurants, in offices etc. on land.
As for the statement of restaurants offices etc, that varies from region to region and local laws etc etc. As for airplanes, the FAA itself hasn't ruled yet, but DOT got involved and got airlines to pass their own internal rules. Given time, there will be better understanding I hope. As for quitting? Not why I bought it, and also not how their marketed. If the manufacturers marketed them as a smoking cessation device, the FDA would be able to regulate them as a drug delivery device. Recent rulings have them being regulted just like analog forms of tobacco.

As for making an ecig smoker go to a designated smoking area ... one thought for fighting that (that might gain ground) is that the ecig smoking is now being forced to be exposed to second hand smoke.

It's an interesting area that is going to see a lot going on in the next couple of years.

All I know is this. It's been just under 2 weeks since my last analog cigarette, and I feel a lot better for it. Wake up and don't feel like I'm coughing up a lung etc etc.

As for the smoking on ships ... since an ecig does not generate smoke which is what causes the left over smell, I've read lots of stories of people vaping in their cabin. Same for nonsmoking hotel rooms. It's going to take some time, but better seperating of smoking and vaping will happen.

Past cruises:

Old May 16th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Admiral

My brother finds then good, & now even sells them!
Old May 16th, 2012, 06:57 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
My brother finds then good, & now even sells them!
Several of my coworkers have expressed interest, so who knows, maybe I'll do a little selling on the side.

Past cruises:

Old May 18th, 2012, 10:01 AM
First Mate

I quit smoking entirely for 2 years, then went back to it, then quit again this year before surgery and alas, I have picked up the electronic cigarette. I too use menthol and they have no smell and do not generate smoke. It does not stink up my house, clothing or hair. I have also found that I do not use it every day...

CarnivalTriumph
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Admiral

I wish the OH would get the ecigs but he won't.
Old May 18th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I have a friend, she is 48 years old. She has had 2 heart attacks and has had 5 stents done. Still smoking. She knows she is killing herself with the damn things. She claims she has too much stress to quit. Now I ask, who does not have stress?? That is such a cop out. I send her links to websites that can help her quit. Florida has a great one. I wish she would quit so she will be around to watch her grandchildren grow up. Once we got into it on FB and her smoking friends actually defended the smoking. They all know the health issues she has had but they still encourage the smoking...some friends They were so mad at me because I spoke up one of them removed me from her friends list. . I just pray that she willl figure it out and quit on her own.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 18th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Ecigs were not available when I quit in 1991. At the time the popular method was hypnosis. I saw an ad in the local paper and went to the hotel where it was held. When I left there that night I was no longer a smoker. I have not had one since. When I was off them 90 days I turned my receipt in to the company I worked for and they gave me back the money it cost. They save a lot on the health insurance they provide for employees that do not smoke.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 23rd, 2012, 04:53 PM
First Mate

Hmmm, kind of sad to see this thread peter out like this. Admittedly there is a whole forum website dedicated to the subject, but I like the idea of focalized discussion regarding my primary vacation method as it were.

Past cruises:

Old May 24th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I looked at them today at the store. So many to decide which one. Can you help me figure it out. Don't want menthol.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 25th, 2012, 07:36 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
I looked at them today at the store. So many to decide which one. Can you help me figure it out. Don't want menthol.
Are you looking for something that looks and acts and tastes like a traditional cigarette? That's how most people get started, but they don't have a lot of battery power because of the smaller size. WalMarts of all places have recently started stocking a basic "look alike" brand name is Mystic or something along those lines. There's a big forum site called E-Cigarette-Forum that is chock full of all kinds of info. Just try not to let it overwhelm you ... there's all different kinds and styles of them for sure. What type of store did you look at them at? Was it a store dedicated to them, or a mall kiosk? Generally avoid the kiosks as they have too much overhead, and it's reflected in their prices.

As for no menthol, no problems there. I'm currently enjoying a nice cherry flavored liquid. Also have a wonderful vanilla one, and a great yummy orange creme flavor.
I learned really quickly for my own tastes that I didn't need a tobacco flavor to be able to use these.

Also note, these are not directly marketed as a smoking cessation device. They can help, but they're considered an alternative delivery for nicotine, which is the main addictive substance in traditional cigarettes. But, past that ... the liquid is offered in different levels of nicotine and some have slowly lowered that dosage over time and been able to quit completely.

Some people consume both, while using the ecig to help at least reduce their traditional usage. It's said over on the ECF that ever traditional not smoked is still better than one smoked.

I've only been doing this for 3 weeks myself, but I pick up on things quickly so I'm learning the ropes. There are people on the site that have been free of traditional cigarettes for years and years, but choose to continue to vape because they enjoy that ... and it's less harmful than regular cigarettes.

There are even counters to help you see how long since your last real smoke, how many you have avoided, and how much you've saved. I'm at 21 days 21 hours since my last, avoided 418, and saved $125.38. Granted, I haven't broken even on my financial investment yet, but I'm close. I could have already except that because of not doing enough research, I went with a kit that really wasn't suited for my style so I had to get something else. But I think I've found my sweet spot for the moment and don't see myself doing any more major spends for a bit.

Kind of a long post I apologize, but anything that helps make a more informed decision is a good thing I think. Hope I didn't confuse you too much, and if I did, just call out the points and I'll try and clarify.

Past cruises: