CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Should a student be suspended for a haircut? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/389424-should-student-suspended-haircut.html)

katlady May 17th, 2012 03:23 PM

Should a student be suspended for a haircut?

Shaving a picture of Matt Bonner in his head could net a young Spurs fan an in-school suspension | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo! Sports
So this is a poll question should this student be suspended for the haircut below. I thought this would be an interesting discussion. Your only opinons are yes or no. I would love to hear why you voted the way you did. BTW as a hairstylist for 14 years; I have to say the stylist that did his haircut is very talented. It's not easy to make something like this.
http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/D....ts/MB51612.jpg

Trip May 17th, 2012 03:50 PM

I didn't read that there was a rule broken, just the personal opinion of one. I think the distraction,might only be for the person sitting behind him!:rolleyes:
For a well rounded good student, like he is....leave him alone, school is almost over...

Luanne Russo May 17th, 2012 04:02 PM

Trip, I would agree with you complety except I have taught this time of year when it is so difficult to keep the students attention.

It is so close to the end, why not have it done the afternoon after the last day of school?

Put your own kids, grandkids in that classroom. One person seeing it, makes no difference, because soon they will all know. The teacher is trying so hard to get the finally teaching in before finals. She can't do her job because of the distraction, and your child, or grand child does not do as well. Who's fault is it? Who suffers?

kandajones May 17th, 2012 04:27 PM

Yes definitely a very talented hair dresser, and as for causing a distraction, I would guess that could last a few minutes and the people sat behind will be used to it.
After all it's not causing visual interference by changing visibly every few minutes. Surely someone dying their hair multiple colo(u)rs or shocking pink is going to be more of a distraction, and yet you see that all the time in schools.

Alan.

Donna May 17th, 2012 10:22 PM

While that cut could be a distraction, still doesn't qualify, for a suspention, JMHO.

Manuel May 17th, 2012 10:45 PM

In today's world that would not cause much of a distraction.

Just look at the people you see in the malls or airports.

TM

Lakers Fan May 17th, 2012 11:27 PM

"Free to be you and me"

MercedMike May 18th, 2012 01:13 PM

Sports teams

In many schools, certainly here in my area of California, wearing any sports team logo at school is forbidden.

This is not because it is intrinsically distracting, but for a much sadder reason. Unfortunately the gangs have selected sports teams as their identifying objects. Wearing red or blue "rags", shirts, bandanas, and many of the other ways the Crips and Bloods try to identify themselves has been banned, so now the Crips wear Raiders gear and the Bloods wear 49ers gear.

In our school district, a portrait of a notable athlete would probably fall under the "gang related" ban. This is something the gangs have forced on the school administration.

Unfortunately when you make such a rule it has to be applied school wide. Therefore, IF his district faces such a problem and some local gang claims the Spurs as their identification it would be a valid rule for the school to make.

This is just speculation but serves to show some reasons that certain schools have peculiar rules that do not make sense on their face, but are in fact important to preservation of school order.

The particular article quoted should be labeled an editorial, as it makes no attempt to investigate and report the facts but simply tries to make jokes of the subject.

katlady May 18th, 2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercedMike (Post 1428990)
In many schools, certainly here in my area of California, wearing any sports team logo at school is forbidden.

This is not because it is intrinsically distracting, but for a much sadder reason. Unfortunately the gangs have selected sports teams as their identifying objects. Wearing red or blue "rags", shirts, bandanas, and many of the other ways the Crips and Bloods try to identify themselves has been banned, so now the Crips wear Raiders gear and the Bloods wear 49ers gear.

In our school district, a portrait of a notable athlete would probably fall under the "gang related" ban. This is something the gangs have forced on the school administration.

Unfortunately when you make such a rule it has to be applied school wide. Therefore, IF his district faces such a problem and some local gang claims the Spurs as their identification it would be a valid rule for the school to make.

This is just speculation but serves to show some reasons that certain schools have peculiar rules that do not make sense on their face, but are in fact important to preservation of school order.

The particular article quoted should be labeled an editorial, as it makes no attempt to investigate and report the facts but simply tries to make jokes of the subject.

That's interesting I didn't know the Crips and Bloods had moved on to using sports teams. So in certain parts of the USA that haircut could put him in danger.

My issue with the suspension is that haircut will grow out in about 3 weeks time. Maybe less. So why suspend the kid for something that will be gone in no time.:roll:

ToddDH May 18th, 2012 09:36 PM

As regards the haircut I have no opinion, be it pro or con. I can only say that if I came home with a hair cut such as that my body would have been standing there but my head would have been about Wednesday of the following week.

Lisa May 19th, 2012 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady (Post 1428999)
That's interesting I didn't know the Crips and Bloods had moved on to using sports teams. So in certain parts of the USA that haircut could put him in danger.

My issue with the suspension is that haircut will grow out in about 3 weeks time. Maybe less. So why suspend the kid for something that will be gone in no time.:roll:

Or you could remove that haircut completely with a razor.......and yes, here in Milwaukee, gangs are starting to move beyond just colors to identify themselves. And I know where Luanne is coming from. I have been a student who in the last days of the school year who was distracted from learning by students being disruptive in class....whether by their behavior or the clothes or their looks...................it is distracting.

MercedMike May 19th, 2012 09:30 AM

Gangsta wannabes in school

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady (Post 1428999)

It is a constant fight in the local schools to keep up with the gangsta wannabes. First they wore red or blue head rags. That was banned so they carried red or blue bandanas in their pockets. Next for a while they rolled up the right or left pants leg. Eventually the began carrying blue or red ball point pens in their shirt pockets. How can you ban that?

Here in CA, 13 or XIII stands for the Nortenos, and 14 or XIV stands for the Surenos, Hispanic gangs. So jerseys with those numbers on them were banned.

In Merced we have the WSM, West Side Merced gang. Their sign is a W made with the fingers held sideways. One day in class I was talking about 3 of something and held up 3 fingers, and realized that half the class was laughing because they thought I made a gang sign.

It is actually a very serious problem in the schools. It is terribly sad that these 12 and 13 year olds I dealt with had no better alternative in their life than to seek attention from gangs.