Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

View Poll Results: Is the teacher within her right to "award" her student?
No, she has not right to embrass the student!! 13 68.42%
Heck Yeah, it will get all the students to do thier homework!! 6 31.58%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 31st, 2012, 06:26 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
You can have round three, I won't argue on stupidity, you'll beat me with experience.

You keep saying I'm in the Minority, you did notice the results of this poll didn't you?

No, she has not right to embrass the student!! 11 73.33%
Heck Yeah, it will get all the students to do thier homework!! 4 26.67%
I was actually counting backwards from 100 and said to myself that you will post a response prior to me getting to 0...well again YOU did not surprise me...well actually you did surprise me...you responded alot sooner then I ever could have imagined.

I will repeat...you are a politically correct person and anything you dont agree with you dismiss them. well I wont be dismissed.

Years back if my parent found out or saw I was'nt doing homework I would be in big time trouble...nowadays you and the like want to hang the teacher...THAT is whats wrong with this entire blown out of proportion event. I bet you wish you hand the job to hand down punishment to the teacher...come on be honest and say yes...That speaks volumes about you.
I not talking about your poll, I talking about the poll that the majority voted with the teacher. This is all about an imcompetant parent who more then likely wants to sue and a lazy child nothing more, nothing less...I will count backwards from 100 again...awaiting round 4
Old May 31st, 2012, 06:28 PM
Admiral

I never once said hang the teacher, nor do I think she should be fired. I just think she was wrong and handled it inappropriately.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old May 31st, 2012, 06:34 PM
Admiral

I really believe that if the mother was concerned about her daughter she wouldn't be making a public case for a future lawsuit.

Now days, every comment, gesture, joke, glance, reprimand can smack of racial prejudice, sexual harassment or child abuse. "This (one) incident has ruined my life". I think that's the premise of the prostitute who went public with the CIA incident. oh please.....

I'm not even hinting that the teacher was right in what she did...but all the 'kid' gloves toward certain issues, all the careful consulting regarding permanently scaring our children etc. because of not following the latest fad in child rearing has not created better parents, schools, teachers, or even resulted in better balanced children or teens.

If this one incident has permanently scarred this child for life, there were CERTAINLY other more serious issues that had up to that point not been addressed by the teacher, school counselors or parent.

This whole thing can be summed up as, 'much todo about nothing'
Old May 31st, 2012, 06:44 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post
I really believe that if the mother was concerned about her daughter she wouldn't be making a public case for a future lawsuit.

Now days, every comment, gesture, joke, glance, reprimand can smack of racial prejudice, sexual harassment or child abuse. "This (one) incident has ruined my life". I think that's the premise of the prostitute who went public with the CIA incident. oh please.....

I'm not even hinting that the teacher was right in what she did...but all the 'kid' gloves toward certain issues, all the careful consulting regarding permanently scaring our children etc. because of not following the latest fad in child rearing has not created better parents, schools, teachers, or even resulted in better balanced children or teens.

If this one incident has permanently scarred this child for life, there were CERTAINLY other more serious issues that had up to that point not been addressed by the teacher, school counselors or parent.

This whole thing can be summed up as, 'much todo about nothing'
In total agreement except that the parent should be listed first...because one can only imagine what the off spring producer has done regarding other serious issues..But some people just dont get it. All these kid gloves and all this "not my child" attitude is hurting kids..and like I said alot of parent are just off spring producers and dont have a clue on how to raise kids.
I do however know why this parent is making such a big fuss over nothing" MONEY.

Last edited by buttons16; May 31st, 2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old May 31st, 2012, 06:47 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
I never once said hang the teacher, nor do I think she should be fired. I just think she was wrong and handled it inappropriately.
From your previous posts you sound like the executioner. And I agree with the majority thinking the teacher did NOTHING wrong and handeled it appropriately.:-D

Round 5 shortly....
Old May 31st, 2012, 07:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

There will be no round five.

Each person is allowed their own opinion and name calling and personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 2nd, 2012, 10:16 AM
Captain

The mother is mad because in reality the award is a slap in her face for not doing her job as a parent and making sure her daughter did her homework.

I applaude the teacher! Children are never too young to learn responsibility and I bet this will be something she never forgets. Some folks like to coddle children but the fact of the matter is our whole job as a parent is to prepare our children to be responsible adults.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old June 2nd, 2012, 02:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I'm not surprised
I'm glad when people disagree with me. It forces me to consider a different point of view. BTW when I first read this story I agreed totally with buttons16. In fact I loved the teacher's sense of humor. It's interesting to read these posts and gain a different point of view.

I think the age of the student is what makes the difference. If the student was 16 years old I believe the everyone would feel quite a bit different about the teacher's award. But with the student being so young it feels more cruel.

The parent is a complete and total waste of space. If she totally didn't know about the homework issue she should not be a parent. Because she doesn't care about her child's education.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 2nd, 2012, 02:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
I'm glad when people disagree with me. It forces me to consider a different point of view. BTW when I first read this story I agreed totally with buttons16. In fact I loved the teacher's sense of humor. It's interesting to read these posts and gain a different point of view.

I think the age of the student is what makes the difference. If the student was 16 years old I believe the everyone would feel quite a bit different about the teacher's award. But with the student being so young it feels more cruel.

The parent is a complete and total waste of space. If she totally didn't know about the homework issue she should not be a parent. Because she doesn't care about her child's education.

I totally agree with you. Teenager, totally different story. I have a niece the same age as the child in the story and I know how devasted she'd have been

Hawaii By land x 2
Old June 2nd, 2012, 03:00 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Cruiser View Post
The mother is mad because in reality the award is a slap in her face for not doing her job as a parent and making sure her daughter did her homework.

I applaude the teacher! Children are never too young to learn responsibility and I bet this will be something she never forgets. Some folks like to coddle children but the fact of the matter is our whole job as a parent is to prepare our children to be responsible adults.
Exactly, The teacher did the right thing in giving the child a lesson on doing homework...
Old June 2nd, 2012, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I knew a young man once who was a cutie, but if his head had not been attached, he would have lost it too.

He did his homework, and his parents even made sure it was in his back pack each day. Only problem was he kept forgetting when he took it out of his backpack, and somehow forgot it was in his locker.

His parents did everything they could by staying in touch with the teachers and staff. They did everything but pin it to his shirts each day.

To make it even worse, his mom was a teacher, so she felt even worse. She finally took him to the dr to see if there was something medical science could do.

The doctor told her the the frontal lobe of a childs brain was the last to develope, which effected behavior in school and in life, but he assured the parent that he would one day be able to be more responsible.

When a teacher made him feel terrible in front of the class, and tried to make an example out of him, the mother wanted to do something about it, because she knew that teachers are there to teach, and not pull down a child's self worth.

The mother was very upset, and was even more so, when the teacher got away with it, as it was covered up. I am not sure if UTube had been around, if she would have been able to do something, but she will never know.

That childs frontal lobe never had a chance to grow fully, as he was murdered in that same area.

Oh how that mother wishes she could go back and redue the hurt. She wishes she could have been more patient, understanding, and somehow more helpful.

A child is so special. They don't have time for adults to agree or disagree on who was at fault. They need us to protect them, to love them, and to be there for them.

A teacher is special as well. They start out wanting to take a human ball of clay, and help mold it into a wonderful adult, who will be sucessful. Sometimes they get caught up in all the bull they have to deal with, and they forget the true intent.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old June 2nd, 2012, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Women were made to love, money was made to spend. Life is something buddy, you'll never live again.
from the song..."Joe sure knows how to live" by Eddie Raven

I just noticed this quote on another post. That little boys name was Joe, and he sure knew how to live.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old June 2nd, 2012, 08:29 PM
Banned
Captain

Problem is that the mother is not there for the child so the teacher did what she had to do...The above example IMHO is far reaching, the off spring producer IMHO does not know how to be a parent...and the child is lazy. The real problem is that the mother has probaly let the kid get away with much more then what is being reported by the mothers own doing (probaly for a law suit).
Old June 2nd, 2012, 11:13 PM
Admiral

That childs frontal lobe never had a chance to grow fully, as he was murdered in that same area.

Oh how that mother wishes she could go back and redue the hurt. She wishes she could have been more patient, understanding, and somehow more helpful.

A child is so special. They don't have time for adults to agree or disagree on who was at fault. They need us to protect them, to love them, and to be there for them.

A teacher is special as well. They start out wanting to take a human ball of clay, and help mold it into a wonderful adult, who will be sucessful. Sometimes they get caught up in all the bull they have to deal with, and they forget the true intent.[/QUOTE]

Wow...what a tragic and powerful true life story.

But from what I understand from the o.p this event was an 'isolated' incident, not a continuing episode of humiliation by the teacher towards the student.

Ever see a toddler stumble and fall...looks up at the mom/parent to SEE their reaction. If the mom runs over and starts making a fuss, usually the baby will begin to cry...if the mom/parent smiles checks the baby over to be sure it's ok...says something comforting and reassuring, pats the baby on it's bottom and sends it on its way. The baby then goes about it's play, forgetting the fall.

The mom of this young girl has made such a big fuss over this 'incident'. IF she was thinking of her daughter's emotional health and it truly was her first concern, she would have taken pains to protect her from public scrutiny. We have to be careful not to 'sentimentalize' the relationship between this mother and daughter. She may not be the 'mother tiger' protecting her cub.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 02:06 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post

A teacher is special as well. They start out wanting to take a human ball of clay, and help mold it into a wonderful adult, who will be sucessful. Sometimes they get caught up in all the bull they have to deal with, and they forget the true intent.
Wow...what a tragic and powerful true life story.

But from what I understand from the o.p this event was an 'isolated' incident, not a continuing episode of humiliation by the teacher towards the student.

Ever see a toddler stumble and fall...looks up at the mom/parent to SEE their reaction. If the mom runs over and starts making a fuss, usually the baby will begin to cry...if the mom/parent smiles checks the baby over to be sure it's ok...says something comforting and reassuring, pats the baby on it's bottom and sends it on its way. The baby then goes about it's play, forgetting the fall.

The mom of this young girl has made such a big fuss over this 'incident'. IF she was thinking of her daughter's emotional health and it truly was her first concern, she would have taken pains to protect her from public scrutiny. We have to be careful not to 'sentimentalize' the relationship between this mother and daughter. She may not be the 'mother tiger' protecting her cub.[/QUOTE]

I agree with what you have stated...Just wondering why no one has givin their opinion on what YOU have stated...or would it because they are waiting for me to say something like this.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 09:08 PM
Familiar Face

A child's bad behaviour (or parent's) is not an excuse for a teacher's unprofessional behavoir. What she did was not the appropriate response from a teacher. The teacher is supposed to be modeling adult behavior for her students. Students are learning how to handle problems from her.

Should this child be held accountable, yes. Should the teacher have license to behave like an adolescent (this is a job situation, not a bunch of friends hanging out), NO.
Old June 6th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by debp View Post
A child's bad behaviour (or parent's) is not an excuse for a teacher's unprofessional behavoir. What she did was not the appropriate response from a teacher. The teacher is supposed to be modeling adult behavior for her students. Students are learning how to handle problems from her.

Should this child be held accountable, yes. Should the teacher have license to behave like an adolescent (this is a job situation, not a bunch of friends hanging out), NO.
Perhaps...but more often than not, parents dump their children at school and expect the teacher and staff to assume the responsibily for teaching their child good manners, self-control, self-respect, morals etc. That's not the teachers job. These qualities should be taught by the parents. And YES, the teacher's conduct should reflect professional behavior. But a child's parents should be the imprinting adult role model.

O.K it's not a perfect world, and clearly many parents are not accepting the challenge. They just pop a child into the world and let the elements have at it. But just because a parent doesn't assume the responsibility, it should not automatically fall on the teacher to raise someone else's offspring or be the child's sole role model. Even with a teacher's best intentions, it's almost an impossible task considering the size of todays classes and the overwhelming incidents of dysfunctional conduct from children, teens, the parents and teachers. Daily frustrations abound.

It's also not unheard of in the past for a teacher to attempt to be pro-active and take a personal interest...that parent will all of a sudden take an interest in their child, and take action themselves, sometimes to get the teacher fired or to sue for interference. Ahhhh, such a fine line to walk.

Teachers signed on to teach subjects they love...they have knowledge they want to share..what they didn't sign on for, is to raise someone else's kid's.

If you care about your child, be involved with the teacher. Take a personal interest in what and how your child is being taught. Turn of the tv once in a while and have a real conversation with your child or teen.

Being an adult role model is RIGHTLY the parents responsibility, and they need to grow-up and assume it.
Old June 6th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Admiral

I wish I had added a poll choice of everyone is wrong and handled the issue wrong. The kid is wrong for not doing her homework, the teacher handled the situation wrong, and the parent was wrong for not paying attention to her child's education until it became something she could make money from.

I agree with field mouse this is 'much todo about nothing.' The parent would understand that Shakespeare reference, but I hear she forgot to do the reading in high school.

But it's still an interesting debate. Raising kids is a hard job. Or at least it looks that way to me. I don't have any children so what do I knw.

How does a parent know what is the right way? Should the parent punish bad behavior or reward good behavior. I think to often bad behavior is reinforced by punishment. It even happens into adulthood. Don't pay your mortgage it's the bank's fault you refinaced the house to buy a new truck. The bank should modify your loan, the government should provide a program to help you out. You had a kid but it's the teacher who is at fault because your kid doesn't do her homework. So maybe the teacher shouldn't have given the student the "award." Instead the teacher should have given the kid an F in all subjects and held her back a year. Huh wonder how the parent would have felt about that? I'm sure repeating a grade isn't embarrassing.

BTW I have a learning disability in grammar school I was almost held back a grade. I begged them not to do it. In college I figured out how my brain works. I'm exclusively a visual learner. I can't learn from being told I learn from seeing. Once I figure this out I graduated in the top 10% of my class. My memory got sharper to make up for the disability I need to see most things only once to remember them. I still flip letters, words, and can't learn new languages worth a damn. Because I can't sound words out any new word I see I have to hear someone say it before I know how to say it. But the memory thing is so awesome I'm not glad I'm not normal.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 6th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Admiral

I think there was lots of blame to go around on this story. But, that's not what the tread was about. The tread focused on the teacher's actions.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old June 6th, 2012, 11:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I think there was lots of blame to go around on this story. But, that's not what the tread was about. The tread focused on the teacher's actions.
I started this thread. So it is really about the whole story the teacher, the student and the parent. I apologize if that wasn't clear in my first post. Please feel free and talk about any aspect of the story.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994